Notices

Cat Killer !

Old 06-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Cat Killer !

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
Trent

You got to get all the facts about Key West before you talk ..................

Mike

Not a prob bud, since your team is racing in Sarasota(so I hear), you and I can visit the principal's office and get the facts straight from the source, thats where i got them the first time. You personally know me, I aint the brightest light bulb in the lot, but I certainly dont believe anything that is posted on here until I verify it from those actually involved.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Some reading for you.......
Reggie Not Wanting Mike to Play

And for the record, it was not just the OL that was turned away. There were a few boats from other manufacturers that wanted to run in that class as well. All denied the chance...

But you knew that.....
I want to thank you for wasteing about an hour of my time, lets see to sum it up, I saw a guy that goes by the name of "Animalhouse" that claims that OL will be on the race course this year. Where are they???????? Where is the closed air force base gps cigarette at???????? OL who knows, I heard rumours(not confirmed) that cig gave up their aspirations of a race program, hence the reason Benny is no longer with them(not a rumour)

Tim I agree with you totally concerning the insurance concerns and for the normal open cockpit poker runners. Unfortuately I have only been able to do 1 poker run in my life and it involved 40 ft sportfisher to seadoo jet boats. In fact I think I was in the only performance boat at that particular run. We lost one motor after the first stop and did 35 mph the rest of the time and had a total blast. Race boats should be on the race course.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:53 PM
DJD
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Ok........
I tried to stay away from the keyboard....but...

Some call this Marketing ?

At what expense?

I wonder how many people in that Poker Run or future Poker Runners will not return now because of this...

Was this even announced that this was going to happen at the Safety Meeting prior to the Run?

It may be hard to believe, but there are people that do Poker Runs for the fun of boating together and they do not want to participate in a race.

Reading that a fleet of Poker Run boats were idling through a No Wake Zone and suddenly have a Race boat pass them at hi speed would certainly shake a few people that had their families out for the day on the run.

Sure, someone will bring up the NY Run. But in years prior, it was announced that there would be a challenge of 1st to the Bridge. They also had a separate start for this.

As of this year, after the Safety Summit in Miami and the Insurance Companies decided to lay down the rules, the King of the Hudson has been eliminated from the NY Run. Will this be a trend throughout the rest of the Poker Runs?
Was the Insurance company for the Jax Run aware they were insuring a race? Being as it sounds like from so many people that this was pre-planned.
Or perhaps "if" an incident occurred, the Insurance Company wouldn't have been liable to pay out because they weren't insuring a race.

I'm not taking any credit away from Fountain for what they have been able to get that Vee Bottom to do, but if they want to challenge people to a race, than do it in a proper manner.

He had a full opportunity to do it at the worlds last year in Key West. Why were they so afraid of competition then and would not let other's compete in Super Vee Unlimited? Oh yeah that's right, a World Championship Title was at risk.... So he went out and beat himself without even completeing one lap...

I will go out on a limb here. With the confidence they have now, and Reggie will need something spectacular to bring people to Key West this year, I predict an Open Invitation to race him in Key West this year!

If they haven't already planned that, then maybe they should!

It certainly would be worth advertising and watching...

May the best team win!
Very well said Sharkey!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:06 PM
DJD
Registered

Originally Posted by hammer01
NOT TO STIR THE POT, BUT IF YOU LOOK OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS, DONZI AND SKATER'S VEES HAVE BEEN IN THE WINNER'S CIRCLE FOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. THE INCLUDES SUPERMAN, ROSS'S DONZI AND JBS RACING. I WOULD NOT SAY FOUNTAIN HAS TOTALLY DOMINATED. GREAT BOATS BUT THERE IS GETTING TO BE WAY TOO MUCH B.S. IN THE AIR.
My favorite memories of racing Wild Child (outerlimits) in F-2 was lapping Reggie himself twice. Both times were in very rough water. Once, we almost lapped him twice in the same race. I'd love to see his "cat killer" run a real offshore race.
Typical style, Reggie takes a pot shot then runs & hides.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Registered

What's new... Reggie has been doing this for years. He used to bring Ohio Steel to Poker Runs back in the early 90's and run flat out to every card stop. Most of the big Poker Runs are a sample of Offshore boaters - everything from families with the dog to closed canopies. Some want to casually run and some want to run hot - just like any other day on the water. If you don't want to engage another boat the choice is yours. If the Host's don't want the speed at their event then put a pace boat out.

Just because Reggie does his usual Barnum Bailey thing doesn't mean anything has changed. We have known for years that he will seize any opportunity to present his product and himself - its his job.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
Last time I saw a 150 mph v-hull in a pokerun things didn't go so well,Smitty

artic,

that comment is completely uncalled for and idiotic.

First of all, That was a privately owned boat with no racing intentions. It was a pleasure boat!!!

Second, That boat was not entered in a poker run with a helicopter following it filming with the intent to race un expected people and create an add campaign about it.

The jacksonville "cat killer" event doesn't come close to resembling the unfortunate incident in Michigan.

FYI - I have personaly attended over 50 poker runs, with boats capable of running 140+ and even 170+, and that was the only Poker run where there was an incident.

The accident that you made reference to was a freak accident, that ocured at speeds below 100 mph, and they were not racing anybody, they were by themselves when the accident happened. So please try to find a relevent comparison to the current situation before you drag my friends memory through the mud!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
I want to thank you for wasteing about an hour of my time, lets see to sum it up, I saw a guy that goes by the name of "Animalhouse" that claims that OL will be on the race course this year. Where are they???????? Where is the closed air force base gps cigarette at???????? OL who knows, I heard rumours(not confirmed) that cig gave up their aspirations of a race program, hence the reason Benny is no longer with them(not a rumour)

Tim I agree with you totally concerning the insurance concerns and for the normal open cockpit poker runners. Unfortuately I have only been able to do 1 poker run in my life and it involved 40 ft sportfisher to seadoo jet boats. In fact I think I was in the only performance boat at that particular run. We lost one motor after the first stop and did 35 mph the rest of the time and had a total blast. Race boats should be on the race course.
F1,

The plans for an OL race program is still very mutch in the works, and the reason for OL not racing yet has nothing to do with Reggie or anybody else but the customers of Outerlimits

Outerlimits is having a slight problem that most manufacturers would like to have, they are sold out and are focusing their attention on filling customer orders. There will be a time and a place for racing, and it is coming!!

By the way, I have read this thread and all linked to it, and I think this sucks. There is no need to pull a stunt like this. It proves nothing.

In regards to Key West, we were told that we were welcome to race, drove down there, and then we were told that we were not allowed to race, even for exibition only after we drove 30 hours straight. But that is not the focus of this thread, and it still does not excuse the fact that this publicity stunt has potentialy set back the eforts that Poker run organizers have worked for to clean up the image of poker runs.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Mike,

With all due respect, weren't you the one who started the thread on Ben's motorcycle accident? Aren't you the one who uses his own personal trajedy to discourage others from participatiing in "unsafe" activities?

I'm sure if the back seat had survived the SOTW incident, they would be attempting to discourage this type of reckless pursuit of bragging rights.

I think it's great that Reggie has built a fast boat. But pulling this on a open course and gloating about it in the manner he did is totally irresponsible.

Roger Penske built a fast car too, but I don't think he would turn Sam Hornish and his 240 m.p.h. race car loose to challenge anything on a public highway. I didn't hear him talking about how his car blew away the Corvette pace car.

How about having a little class? If he wants to set records and establish bragging rights, do it on a closed course.
Red Dog,

I was at SMOTW and had to attend the funeral of my friend (20 yrs old) These two incidents are not even remotely related. The boat at smoke was not out trying to destroy the fleet, it was an accident that occured where the boat was already past the card stop, and he wasn't racing anybody. I understand your need to bring up a comparison to help prove your point, but this incident doesn't help make that arguement any stronger.

The major difference between Jacksonville and Smoke was that the OL that rolled over was not purposely racing other boats for the purpose of shooting a television commercial.

The accident at smoke happened below 100 mph and was an accident.

I just don't like that unfortunate incident being dragged into this rediculous specticle. The two situations are completely different.

Fred
Old 06-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Red Dog,

If Johhny was still alive, he would be not be discouraging people from attending poker runs. He would be defending a sport that he loves, and unfortunately he died as a result of an accident, not an attempt to promote bragging rights.

When we get in these boats, we all know that there are risks and dangers in running a boat at these speeds.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Registered

Fred,

All due respect to your friend and your loss. I know how much it hurts.

The point I am trying to make with my reference the SOTW incident is ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN! I deal with the consequences of accidents every time I go to work and in my personal life as well. It only takes a split second of misjudgement that can never be replayed.

It isn't simply attending a poker run that I have reservations about, it's the incessant need to outdo the next guy at speeds that frankly become unsafe when there are not appropriate rescue resources and boat safety features (ie enclosed canopy, 4 point harness, air, etc) that would protect the occupants in the event of an unexpected trip/stuff, hook/roll, rogue wave inducing a barrel roll, or collision with another vessel.

In this particular case, the guys in the Fountain race boat would probably be the safest ... it's everyone else that wouldn't have a chance.

If you watch the video closely, you can see other boats in the not so distant background heading in the opposite direction of the race boat in question. If that boat is travelling at 170 mph and the oncoming (non-participating) boats are travelling say 50 mph, closing speed is in excess of 220 mph. To me, that just plain lacks common sense.

It is obviously disturbing to me that a "professinal" and supposed "leader" in the boating industry would pull a publicity stunt like this for his own gain without due regard for the safety of the general boating public. I think it was irresponsible and displays poor judgement.

I am not claiming "the sky is falling" ... I am merely trying to implore people use common sense and not let good judgement be overwhelmed by the trill of competition.

Quick Reply: Cat Killer !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.