Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Notices

Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Plus... Don't you have to flip up the dash for get in the cuddy or something? A bit much. IMO
Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mykalvballer
There are also pictures of MANY other boats (Cig's) on here as well. Place the drivers names on this site, not the builders.
A gentleman asked for opinions between the 30 outlaw and the 32 ss. Simply stating my opinion. I don't see any other manufacurers in question? Do you?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
The cuddy in the Outlaw is larger. Finally you have the security of a straight bottom. There are "spun out" pics of a Sunsation floating around here.

Plus... Don't you have to flip up the dash for get in the cuddy or something? A bit much. IMO
First, there are three 32' Sunsation Models to choose from.
32 Dominator
32 Innovator
32 SS

Dominator has been around for a long time.
Innovator has the flip up dash, and with a standup/Gladiator type cockpit layout with some radical dash innovations.
SS has a DEEP hull and HUGE cabin.

I have been on a 30' Outlaw, but not in the cabin. However, judging from the pics of the 30' Outlaw's cockpit to cabin ratio of how the deck is laid out, I can't possibly see how the cabin of the 30' Outlaw is bigger than the 32 SS. The cabin on the 32 SS Sunsation is makes it feel like quite a big boat; almost a 35.

And the spun out 32' Sunsation was done so when it was damn near still winter, and there was alcohol involved, and they were in quite shallow water; looked to be 3 feet or less.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-20-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

DPT, that flip up dash is only on Innovators (of whick only 9 were built). They build 70-90 boats a year and the SS has a standard cabin entry.

Mike's comment was in response to your note that several boats flipped and Mike thought that was more driver error than manufacturing. Also see the pic from the Philly Poker run last weekend when a guy knocked the nose off an Outlaw. Would it be fair to say that Baja just fell apart even though the driver hit a piling or something?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn Philly had a poker run last weekend?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
DPT, that flip up dash is only on Innovators (of whick only 9 were built). They build 70-90 boats a year and the SS has a standard cabin entry.

Mike's comment was in response to your note that several boats flipped and Mike thought that was more driver error than manufacturing. Also see the pic from the Philly Poker run last weekend when a guy knocked the nose off an Outlaw. Would it be fair to say that Baja just fell apart even though the driver hit a piling or something?
My mistake... I had the inovator confused with the ss with regaqrd to the flip up dash.

Please point out my "note" that says "several boats flipped".

Nine times out of ten accidents with step hull boats regardless of manufacturer are driver error. Bottom line... They aren't as stable as a straight hull. Very simple point I was making. Straight hull is safer than step. That is my opinion... Also a fact.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

My mistake... I had the inovator confused with the ss with regaqrd to the flip up dash.

Please point out my "note" that says "several boats flipped".

Nine times out of ten accidents with step hull boats regardless of manufacturer are driver error. Bottom line... They aren't as stable as a straight hull. Very simple point I was making. Straight hull is safer than step. That is my opinion... Also a fact.

Thats cool, I wasn't arguing just trying to clear things up.

2 Sunsations have gone down in recent news. One was in Texas (Clear Lake, I believe) when a guy jumped a tug boat wake in a non stepped 32 Dominator and landed on the side of the boat. Several people on OSO commented on dangers of tug boat wakes. The second boat was a stepped bottom that flipped at a high rate of speed in 3 ft of water.
Bad things can happen to good boats..................
Old 06-21-2006, 05:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have no ax to grind about Sunsation. They make a nice boat.

For me I would never own a boat that cheats (IMO) the consumer by including a built swim plattform in the length. I really think thats bull$hit. Again, just my .02.

I have owned a Baja and would buy one 20 times over. A good friend owns a 30 with Mags and that thing runs like crazy... Best of luck.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

For me I would never own a boat that cheats (IMO) the consumer by including a built swim plattform in the length. I really think thats bull$hit. Again, just my .02.

I have owned a Baja and would buy one 20 times over.
Baja does the "length cheat" on several of their models, both past and present.

A 38 Top Gun is only 37' 6" long.
A 42 Tiger is only 41' 7" long.
A 46 RR is only 45' 7" long.
(And yes, I know some of the other Cigarette models are longer than advertised.)

So if a manufacturer cheats this or that in a model number, who cares? I guess I'd rather pay for a molded in platform rather than 5-6" of nothing.

And for the record, I know my 37' Active Thunder is not quite 37' long either. I applaud the newby, Dun (thread starter) for knowing exactly what he was looking into as far as boat sizes. I will admit that I didn't know all about this stuff when I started years ago.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-21-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
A 38 Top Gun is only 37' 6" long.
A 42 Tiger is only 41' 7" long.
A 46 RR is only 45' 7" long.
So if a manufacturer cheats this or that in a model number, who cares? I guess I'd rather pay for a molded in platform rather than 5-6" of nothing.
Your talking 3, 4 inches there... Definately a round up.

I'm talking about a 2 FOOT lack of running surface, 2' +, THAT ISN'T TOUCHING THE WATER! That is simply making the boat sound bigger than it is.

Quick Reply: Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.