Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Notices

Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Old 06-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Baja does the "length cheat" on several of their models, both past and present.

A 38 Top Gun is only 37' 6" long.
A 42 Tiger is only 41' 7" long.
A 46 RR is only 45' 7" long.
(And yes, I know some of the other Cigarette models are longer than advertised.)

So if a manufacturer cheats this or that in a model number, who cares? I guess I'd rather pay for a molded in platform rather than 5-6" of nothing.

And for the record, I know my 37' Active Thunder is not quite 37' long either. I applaud the newby, Dun (thread starter) for knowing exactly what he was looking into as far as boat sizes. I will admit that I didn't know all about this stuff when I started years ago.
Everybody cheats, even Baja. My H2X measured 24' with the swim platform. Same exact length as my buddies 22' scarab. I knew that when I bought it though.....
Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Baja does the "length cheat" on several of their models, both past and present.

A 38 Top Gun is only 37' 6" long.
A 42 Tiger is only 41' 7" long.
A 46 RR is only 45' 7" long.
(And yes, I know some of the other Cigarette models are longer than advertised.)

So if a manufacturer cheats this or that in a model number, who cares? I guess I'd rather pay for a molded in platform rather than 5-6" of nothing.

And for the record, I know my 37' Active Thunder is not quite 37' long either. I applaud the newby, Dun (thread starter) for knowing exactly what he was looking into as far as boat sizes. I will admit that I didn't know all about this stuff when I started years ago.
Sunsation 32ss = 31' 7" w/platform
IMO less than 30' wo/platform

Baja 30ol = 30' 1" wo/platform
32'2" w/platform

There were some previous posts that say the Sunsation is a bigger boat... The facts show that is impossible...

IMO, there are many different boats brands out there for different people with different tastes. A perfect boat for me could be trash to you.

Test both boats, and choose what is best for you and your family. Just my .02
Old 06-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Dock,

The Baja line is still a fine machine but is a me too boat whereas a Sunsation due to lower production is still a rare boat.

Jupiter,

Like I said, "I have never met a boat I did not like".

And certainly Sunsation makes a good product, and a nice looking product. It comes down to a matter of personal taste and for me I like the offshore styling of the Outlaw which rivals the Cigarette look is more pleasing to me. I especially like the aluminum bolt on swim platform over the molded fiberglass style.

Actually Baja has been in business longer, has a racing history and built the pace boat for the APBA a while back. They have the largest share of the performance boat market which means you will see more of them on the water for sure. Does that mean "ME TOO"? It tells me that they have a good product at a good price, a strong dealer network and a product that appeals to the masses.

They have introduced "FIVE" new models in less then three years with some of the most extensive R & D in the industry.

The combination of graphics and colors is huge and they also have two levels of custom shop boats and work with Clayton at Custom Kolors for those that really want something "TRICK".

I just went to the Sunsation website I guess for the first time ever and to me, and this is just my opinion, I'm not putting down the product, but they are limited on models and they all look alike to me. So I see your brand as a "me too", and I guess I can understand how you see Baja. Again it comes down to personal taste, price level, local dealer, etc.

Thanks

Dock
Old 06-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Oops, I almost forgot.

I really do like the layout of the cuddy in the Sunsation 32SS.

From the pictures on the website they did a real good job in that department.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've driven both brands of boats, though not these specific models. I have ridden in a 32SS though. Crawl inside and out of both boats, run both boats, get a feel for the support you will get for either boat from the dealerships you plan to purchase the boats through, and then make your decision based on what you feel is the best overall boat/deal. IMO, you won't go wrong either way. I would be proud to own either boat.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I believe a Sun w/o the platform is 30'3" compared to the actual 31'7" LOA. That comes out to a 16" difference or 1'4". Probably the least amount of most mfr's. Transom angle is very shallow as well (almost straight up & down).

The SS is a combination of the regular Dominator (deck) and the Innovator (hull/bottom). I actually was tryijng to convince Dave Hare to build me the first SS version (I fondly dubbed the "Terminator" and think they should call it that to avoid the constant confusion) but was told at the time that they were not going to build another version of a 32' boat. Well by the end of the first year of owning my ordered Dominator, sure enough due to popular demand out came the SS model, and I was just a tad ticked.

The SS interior both cockpit and cuddy are designed and layed out by McLeod. No option, it's standard setup. I've been on the 30 OL in Miami and was impressed by the new technology employed in design, but found the cuddy & cockpit to be a bit borish and not much different than older models. The Sunsation on the other hand has undergone constant changes and improvements.

As far as ride is concerned, I would be willing to bet that nobody, and I mean nobody, has put the Sun boat thru the paces more than I, and I could possibly include the brother's Schaldebrand. I ran over 350 hours in my 288, and have roughly 190 hours in my 32 Dominator with twin 496HO's. I'll guarantee the majority of those hours were in the snottiest water the ChesBay/Atlantic/James/Elizabeth Rivers/ Albemarle Sound could hand out and that was not being shy about getting on top and making those puppies work. I'm not talking lake or river wind chop neither. Tidal waters. I have also logged approximately 4-5 hours in the Innovator and I'm familiar with that hull's differences/nuances compared to my standard hull. These boats are outstanding offshore powerboats that really handle the snot and don't crack up. Could be heavier, but then they would be slower. There's always a tradeoff.

With regards to styling; solid construction meaning it can take a "real" whipping on real heavy water and not spider or crack or have cabinets come off; factory support "IF" needed, personally I've required none (made more impressive by re-reading my experience paragraph above); very sexy dash/cuddy layout/design work; very practical cockpit design where nothing is there strictly for aesthetics, it has purpose; and the fact that there's not one around every corner. Compared to pricing, I would without question give the nod to Sunsation when comapring these two.

I like Baja's especially the bigger ones, but when comparing just the 30 to the 32SS we are really talking two separate classes of boats. But as someone said above you go look, drive, and walk away with the one that knocks your socks off despite what we say here. One could look at all these comments and come away with the knowledge that no one said anything derogatory about either one really. So that speaks volumes about both. Taste and the feel good affect is what will do it for you in your decision.

Last edited by Reckless32; 06-21-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Oops, I almost forgot.

I really do like the layout of the cuddy in the Sunsation 32SS.

From the pictures on the website they did a real good job in that department.
From what I seen at the St. Louis boat show Sunsation did a great job in every department with their boats. Quite a few examples of pride in workmanship were easily apparent at that show with them being right across the aisle from the Baja display. The pride in the small builder thought process along with workmanship, vs the big production built boat, was very obvious.
Baja is a fine product that builds many boats.. Along with that you get the issues at times typically found with production built boats. To think your getting the attention to detail found in a semi custom builders boat is just not practical - and will never happen. All the wind testing and R&D in the world won't change that. It was really a apples to oranges diffrence from gel work, rigging, lay-out and even on down to fit and finish and the prices reflected that, as well they should have. Customer Service is a given with the Sunsation, where it's a hit and miss with Baja as proven by many threads everywhere about Baja Customer Service and issues by Baja Customers.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TBairos
Sunsation 32ss = 31' 7" w/platform
IMO less than 30' wo/platform

Baja 30ol = 30' 1" wo/platform
32'2" w/platform

There were some previous posts that say the Sunsation is a bigger boat... The facts show that is impossible...

IMO, there are many different boats brands out there for different people with different tastes. A perfect boat for me could be trash to you.

Test both boats, and choose what is best for you and your family. Just my .02

Forget the platform /no platform yakkin...... go into a 32SS cabin and a 30 OL cabin and there is no question..... 32SS is bigger.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by NefariousOne
Forget the platform /no platform yakkin...... go into a 32SS cabin and a 30 OL cabin and there is no question..... 32SS is bigger.

Hey ChromeGorilla,

Just curious why you are using two different screen names?

NefariousOne = ChromeGorilla.

What's up with that?

Dock
Old 06-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered

When I moved up here to SC my email changed. Plus I started using Firefox vs IE. When I tried to log in it said oso had done something to the accounts and click here to get your password blah blah blah...... well my Chromegorilla had my old email addy so I couldn't access it, so I created a new one with the new email account. SO I just planned on using the NefOne name from now on..... so how did the CG posts appear you asks...ahhhh....

My wife connected with IE the other day (which surprised me cause I have been having major problems with IE and haven't been able to use it at all) So when I clicked over to OSO I was already logged in as CG... dunno how but I was.(Like a "remember password deal thingy") I didn't know I was using IE and assumed I was using Firefix. I thought I had logged in as Nefone..... After a few posts I saw I was actually posting under the old account. Thats why I have been trying to just post under the new account in the last few posts.

Shouldn't be a problem , cuz IE pooped itself again on my puter and I can only use Firefox.... which is fine by me...

So CG everywhere else but...NefariousOne here.....

I actually pointed out in my very first post as NefariousOne that it was in fact me....Chromegorilla. Never tried to hide it.

and so ends the story....

Quick Reply: Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.