Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
looking for a marine salvage yard in va beach the sells ex navy boats and parts >

looking for a marine salvage yard in va beach the sells ex navy boats and parts

Notices

looking for a marine salvage yard in va beach the sells ex navy boats and parts

Old 06-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: looking for a marine salvage yard in va beach the sells ex navy boats and parts

Originally Posted by ratman
anyone have more info about this or how to find out about the navys auctions? thx, rm

The Defence Dept. has their own web site with links to the specific dept. that sells off except and surpluss equip. I looked once there was alot of junk. Once the war is over you'll see alot of stuff being sold off to make room for new. Right now most of the older surpplus equip. is being reutilized for the war effort.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: looking for a marine salvage yard in va beach the sells ex navy boats and parts

When I was in the navy we could go to the defense re-utilization centers and pick up anything we needed that was still good for our O2N2 shop on the ship,most that stuff was stripped down,robbed for parts or just plain wore right out so don't expect any super bargains except file cabinets and desk,Smitty
Old 06-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a fleet of river gun boats sitting in Chesapeake that someone bought a few years a go that just sit at the Chesapeake Maine/Yacht center that have not been touched. Would be cool to see those fixed up and put back on the water. Made of wood I think?
Those are ex-Vietnam PTF "Nasty Class" boats. And yes, they are all wood.
Too bad they're just sitting there rotting away. One was sold to a Boy Scout troop in Sanford or Deland Florida to restore.

Go to http://www.petertare.org/menu.htm click on "Links" then "PT Boats in Vietnam".
Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

They typically have their auctions on Thursdays if I remember correctly and may even advertise in the local paper (www.pilotonline.com) though I'm not sure how frequent as in weekly or monthly. Basically a flea market of leftover military stuff that active units can go to and find usable items, or de-classed stuff for the general public to purchase or buy right of the shelf. Auctions typically get rid of the bigger items to be scrapped. It's located right off Hampton boulevard just down form the main gate.

There's another DMRC location at Cheatham Annex up near Fort Eustis between Newport News and Williamsburg where they may have more boat related items. I'm sure surfing thru the weblinks you'll find something.

...and yes it's an older de-classed boat. The other MK-?? is still very much active and located at two locations nearby, Little Creek Amphib & Dam Neck Naval bases.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Take a look at this site. It has locations all over. This link is to the shell of a Mark V

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=902376

Last edited by duksrule; 06-21-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 PM
DJD
Registered

I bought a pair of SSM3A drives from a guy in VA. He had several hulls which had holes punched through the sides all the way down the hulls. He has about a dozen 3A drives. I checked them out & found that most still had assembly lube in them with all new parts. I can't for the life of me remember who it was. It was a small auto repair shop. He had an add in Yachttrader magazine and he said he sell stuff in there all the time.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 PM
DJD
Registered

RE: PTF Nasty Class.
I was close to striking a deal with General Propultion to buy one of their boats. Logistics got the better of me. Storage, carpenters with the skills to work on them and the biggest prob was finding the people out here to work on the Deltic engines. Gen. Propultion kept sweetening the deal but I finally backed out. They were all in Great Bridge VA & they had just been moved to a marina. I had seen them for over 18 years, sitting on the banks of the ICW just north of the new marina.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mandm/ptva.htm

www.ptfnasty.com/ptf5forsale.html

Last edited by DJD; 06-21-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJD
I bought a pair of SSM3A drives from a guy in VA. He had several hulls which had holes punched through the sides all the way down the hulls. He has about a dozen 3A drives. I checked them out & found that most still had assembly lube in them with all new parts. I can't for the life of me remember who it was. It was a small auto repair shop. He had an add in Yachttrader magazine and he said he sell stuff in there all the time.
this is the place im trying to locate as he seems hooked up and has been buying these salvage marine parts for a while. any info would be great, thx, rm
Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

DJD they are still there sitting just off the I-64 high rise bridge side by side and yes they used to sit essentially adjacent to the Great Bridge locks. They would be really cool to see re-furbished.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Registered

I was chasing some of the drives for a while from one of the web sites. There was a large lot at one time, like over a dozen drives. I pushed it to what I thought was a good price, not knowing the condition, in the end got nothing. Then there were the Donovan engines and parts, got nothing there either. The auctions are kinda crude, the listings and photos are poor. It seems as if theres a bit of a fix on the stuff. Slip the guy doing the write up a few bucks and he wont add the good info or take a photo of the non broken item. I gave up with the entire thing, I also buy and sell machinery so I was trying to buy that too. I did pick some things up at one of the bases(not mine), had a talk to the guy from the auction co. He said all the stuff that they auction, has been offered to every branch of the military and there were no takers, so its basically JUNK as far as they are concerned...

Quick Reply: looking for a marine salvage yard in va beach the sells ex navy boats and parts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.