Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   lake erie jet ski accident (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/133407-lake-erie-jet-ski-accident.html)

sy goldberg 06-22-2006 06:57 AM

lake erie jet ski accident

Does anypne have any info on jet ski accident involving a Donzi that happened last Friday ? i know that the 2 people on the jet ski were killed.

Audiofn 06-22-2006 07:02 AM

Re: lake erie jet ski accident

Oh man this is like my biggest fear with people on Jet Ski's :( :(

cbeastwood 06-22-2006 07:30 AM

There hasn't been a recent update, but here's the original report from KDKA:

Two killed when boat, Jet Ski collide near Erie
Friday June 16, 2006
ERIE, Pa. (AP) A Jet Ski and a boat collided off Presque Isle State Park on Friday, killing both people on the personal watercraft, a U.S. Coast Guard official said.

A man and woman in their late teens or early 20s were riding the Jet Ski when the accident happened around 4:20 p.m., said Command Duty Officer Blair Stanifer, of the U.S. Coast Guard office in Cleveland.

The names of the victims were being withheld until their families were notified. They suffered massive head injuries and were pronounced dead after being taken to Hamot Medical Center in Erie, Stanifer said.

No one on the boat was reported injured.

CigDaze 06-22-2006 07:31 AM

Hey Sy, I don't know how much you already know, but for what it's worth I was able to dig up a couple news articles:

Sunday, June 18, 2006
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

State boating officials yesterday were investigating why a powerboat and a Jet Ski collided on Lake Erie Friday afternoon, killing two people from Washington County, said Petty Officer Matt Schofield, a spokesman for the U.S. Coast Guard's Great Lakes district.

The accident occurred at 4 p.m. as the two boats, a 38-foot Donzi and a Sea-Doo, tried to avoid each other about 500 yards off shore in Presque Isle Bay, according to the Erie Times-News.

The Jet Ski riders, Amber Miller, 22, and her boyfriend Andrew Miller, 19, both of Washington, Pa., suffered massive head injuries and were later pronounced dead at Hamot Medical Center in Erie.

Petty Officer Schofield said a passing boater removed both victims from the water and then handed them over to a Coast Guard rescue vessel, which arrived minutes later.

The name of the driver of the Donzi was not available. He had two passengers. No one on the boat was injured.

The Pennsylvania Fish & Boast Commission has taken over the investigation. No officials from the agency could be reached for comment.

Last year, a 44-year-old woman suffered a fatal heart attack while using a Jet Ski on Lake Erie, according to the commission's Web site. It was Pennsylvania's first death involving either the driver or passenger of a personal watercraft since 1992.
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06169/699288-85.stm

------------------

ERIE, Pa. -- A Jet Ski and a boat collided on Lake Erie on Friday, killing both people on the personal watercraft, officials said.

Andrew Miller, 19, of Washington, Pa., and Amber Miller, 22, were killed in the crash, which happened around 4 p.m. just off Presque Isle State Park, according to Lt. Jane Willits with the Coast Guard's Cleveland office.

The victims were not related and the hometown of Amber Miller was not immediately available, Willits said.

Both victims suffered massive head injuries and were pronounced dead after being taken to Hamot Medical Center in Erie, Coast Guard Command Duty Officer Blair Stanifer said.

No one on the boat was reported injured.

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission has taken over the investigation, Willits said. Officials with that agency could not immediately be reached for comment Friday night.
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...89/detail.html

Queenie 06-22-2006 07:55 AM

According to a goerie.com newspaper article, the Donzi had the right of way and was trying to avoid the jet ski, while the jet ski was trying to avoid the Donzi.

The article goes on further to say that the jet ski victims died of blunt trauma to their heads, caused by the propellers :( , along with indicating they do not believe alcohol was related in any way. There are several other witnesses still be interviewed before they come to a conclusion as to what actually happened.

Very sad :(

BAJA WILL 06-22-2006 09:39 AM

i am not lecturing here but, when a jet ski gets that close to me where we may collide I just stop! I seriously come off plane and put it in neutral. Usually the ski, buzzes me while I give them the middle finger. But I would rather stop than kill someone.

What i really hate is if the boater was drinking, they would blame the whole thing on alchol and not the stupid jet ski driver!

WILL

Queenie 06-22-2006 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
i am not lecturing here but, when a jet ski gets that close to me where we may collide I just stop! I seriously come off plane and put it in neutral. Usually the ski, buzzes me while I give them the middle finger. But I would rather stop than kill someone.

What i really hate is if the boater was drinking, they would blame the whole thing on alchol and not the stupid jet ski driver!

WILL

We stop too when they get too close, but I'm always watching when Rob's driving and constantly slowing down, pointing out the jet skiers just in case he doesn't see them, stuff like that.

We were just sitting in our harbor last week when a jet ski came arount our boat, shut off his ski and slammed into the side of our boat. We're like "WTF, you just hit our boat!" He says sorry but I thought you were Adam. :mad: Needless to say, he got a lecture about staying 30 ft away from the boat and talking and my husband told him if you don't get the "f***" away from my boat right now I'm coming in to beat the hell out of you in the water, then I'm calling the CG. :eek:

We honestly should have gotten his OH numbers just so he doesn't do that to anyone else, but we were so pi**ed that he hit us in the first place we weren't thinking.

jlmtx83 06-22-2006 11:14 AM

as a jetski riding and avid boater nothing pisses me off more than the idiots on jetskis who cut me off or follow too close in my wake while boating, idiots

Apple a day 06-22-2006 12:44 PM

I like to call jet skiers lake flies.

ratman 06-22-2006 02:24 PM

a jetski moron turned accross my bow when i was hailin 2 weeks ago, i was afraid he'd scratch up my props. he didn't even look before he made a hard left in front of me.