Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
San Diego Bay. Need the scoop... >

San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...

Notices

San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...

Old 06-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...

Looking for:

#1. A good launch ramp (coming from South OC).
#2. Lunch spots or bars with a dock?
#3. What's worth checking out around the bay?

THanks. Dave911
Old 06-25-2006, 01:47 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...

Originally Posted by dave911
Looking for:

#1. A good launch ramp (coming from South OC).
#2. Lunch spots or bars with a dock?
#3. What's worth checking out around the bay?

THanks. Dave911
There is a ramp right near West Marine and another right near Sea World....both are nice and accomodating. Lunch is nice at the Princess Resort at their bar/restaurant called the Barefoot Bar. It's right in Mission bay. You can "park" at their dock.

I can only give you the directions to the Sea World launch ramp. Traveling on the I-5 heading South......exit Sea World Drive......turn right at the light onto Sea World Drive....after the first traffic light, you will see signs for the launch ramp entrance on the right. I believe the entrance is the 2nd light. (call West Marine to get their location and the other ramp is right near them)

You can also head out of Mission Bay and run (approx.) 8 miles South and go into San Diego Harbor, which is really cool and you can dock over at The Marriott and eat lunch there where you are basically in Seaport Village. I would reccommend going to San Diego Harbor mainly because there is alot more to do down there and there is NO wake zone there

*****ONE LAST THING....if you run down to San Diego Harbor from Mission Bay---make sure when you are like 2 miles North of the entrance to San Diego Harbor you stay WIDE (not close to shore) because there is alot of kelp therre and you will get stuck or overheat your engine(s). Have a blast

Last edited by Semper Fi; 06-25-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the launch ramp at shelter island all of the time. easy to get to and puts you at the beginning of mission bay. There are plenty of places to go and tie up to eat and relax. Just go over by the marriott and get a guest slip.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:58 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I was there a year ago. Friend kept his boat at a marina around the corner from SW. Got to see the penguins from his boat.
Also went for a ride, i think north to a nice restaurant, burgers and stuff, with a cool fish pond.
Then again i was with the kids.
I'll try to find the name of that place.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the Barefoot Bar in the resort where the sharks and skates reside. You can watch them swim past as you wait for a table. Boat parking at their docks is limited in the Summer. Have a great time!

Hugh
Attached Thumbnails San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...-paradise-point-san-diego-13th-anniversary-010.jpg   San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...-paradise-point-san-diego-13th-anniversary-002.jpg   San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...-paradise-point-san-diego-13th-anniversary-003.jpg  

Old 06-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

We used the launch rampt next to sea world Gerrard is talkign about. It is really user friendly (except no flush out area). We stayed at the hotel just south of the ramp (walking distance). I forget the name of the hotel but they were super cool, let us use the docks right in front of their hotel and even use their hose to flush the boats (we were staying there though). The prices of the hotel were very reasonable too. Killer place to visit and check out. We were doing the photo's for PBM so we didn't really have enough time to hang out and check everything out. We want to get down there again soon though. Enjoy the trip!

Tank

Oh, by the way, here's SD Bay in the back ground.
Attached Thumbnails San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...-small5.jpg  
Old 06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

PW, yep thats the place. Birds were fun for the kids... kept grabbin food everywhere.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info! San Diego's looking pretty good!

I went ahead and booked a beach-side bungalow at ParadisePoint on Mission Bay. I think that's where you where you stayed, Hugh. BTW - Nice pics of the fam.

http://www.paradisepoint.com/default...eid=phototours

We've got a newborn boy, Jacob, at only 8 weeks old, so I'm hoping that we can cruise around Mission Bay with momma, and then pull right up to our bungalow at Paradise if he starts getting fussy, or if it gets too hot.

SF - Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do the run to San Diego harbor. Does that 8 mile stretch get snotty in the afternoon? Seems most SoCal boating is best done before 2:00pm.

I'll do a little looking around when I get down there to see if anyone will let me dock for the night, but even if not, I'll probly sleep better at night if the Sutphen is on the trailer!

Later! Dave911
Old 06-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
We used the launch rampt next to sea world Gerrard is talkign about. It is really user friendly (except no flush out area). .
Nice picture Tank. Boat looks sweet. There is actually water available at the ramp, but for RV's only. When I use the ramp there I always bring a hose and just wash the salt off the boat really quick before anyone says anything.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
We used the launch rampt next to sea world Gerrard is talkign about. It is really user friendly (except no flush out area). We stayed at the hotel just south of the ramp (walking distance). I forget the name of the hotel but they were super cool, let us use the docks right in front of their hotel and even use their hose to flush the boats (we were staying there though). The prices of the hotel were very reasonable too. Killer place to visit and check out. We were doing the photo's for PBM so we didn't really have enough time to hang out and check everything out. We want to get down there again soon though. Enjoy the trip!

Tank

Oh, by the way, here's SD Bay in the back ground.
Sweet pic Tank!!!!

Dave.........SCOPE will be going down to SD this coming Thursday morning! It's an annual trip to SD....and this time we're staying at the Hyatt next to the Marriott. Gerrard......lets hook up! Tank is too much of a Ventura guy to join in....

Quick Reply: San Diego Bay. Need the scoop...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.