Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   SmartCraft or Analog Gauges ???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/133606-smartcraft-analog-gauges.html)

asg 06-25-2006 07:46 AM

SmartCraft or Analog Gauges ????

If you were building or redoing the dash on your boat, would you replace all the analog gauges and trim indicators with two SmartCraft displays?

offshoredrillin 06-25-2006 07:56 AM

Re: SmartCraft or Analog Gauges ????

I would do both, hard to beat the look of monster guages...What are you moving up too?

asg 06-25-2006 07:59 AM

Not sure yet. need to sell my boat first. But looking at a 39 Cig

Beak Boater 06-25-2006 09:42 AM

We have both in our Fountain, the monster gauges are easier to look at, but the Smartcraft can tell you alot of information. You have to navigate from page to page to see different things with smartcraft. Some times that can be tricky in rough water. You can just glance at a gauge an it tells you everything. I dont think you will need two smartcraft screens. Both our motors are tied to one, that leaves more room for gauges.

asg 06-25-2006 09:45 AM

What about the trim and drive indicators? are they easy to read on the smartcraft?

Beak Boater 06-25-2006 12:24 PM

Yes they are easy to read, you just have to toggle to the screen that has them on it. Engine management on one screen, vessel on the other and navigation is on a seperate screen. Very user friendly, just have to move between screens.

lucky strike 06-25-2006 03:28 PM

We have both in our boat. The SmartCraft also tells you how much fuel you are burning & how much you have used. Better than any fuel gauge for sure !

In my Cig when my fuel gauge reads 1/4 I have 3 gals left..... Not good.

bojoe2 06-27-2006 06:36 AM

smart craft are awsome.

Tantrum 06-27-2006 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by asg
What about the trim and drive indicators? are they easy to read on the smartcraft?

I dont have the trim indicators hooked up through my smart craft so I dont know for sure BUT i have heard guys complain that there is a lag between the motor and the gauge.
I have both on my boat with 300x's.

Havasu Cig 06-27-2006 12:04 PM

I have both in the Skater, and I use the Smartcraft for trim as well as most other stuff.

4mulafastech 06-27-2006 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some of both! :cool:

SmartCraft provides a ton of information but can be difficult paging through while on the run. That is why I went with Mechanical trim and tab indicators as well as things like oil pressure and water temperature. Like Lucky Strike says, the fuel metering is a plus. When you fill up, reset the SmartCraft and you will know exactly how much fuel you gone through until the next time you reset.

Stormrider 06-27-2006 12:43 PM

Analogs can be read at a quick glance.

Codered 06-27-2006 05:19 PM

Go with mechanical drive and tab indicators. Smartcraft drive indicators hard to see .

Spine Tingler 06-27-2006 08:03 PM

I wanted to do a complete digital dash, but not sure about whether I can get gauge readings from a Sterling/

FeverMike 06-27-2006 08:32 PM

I have Smart Craft on my boat and love it. The system works hand in hand perfect with Merc engine program.

JROMY 06-27-2006 11:15 PM

I've got Livorsi gauges in my Powerplay with 525's which have Smartcraft capability. I am in the process of installing a Garmin 3206 chartplotter for navigation. As far as I can make out, Merc's GPS is not a chartplotter, but a basic GPS. Am I correct in this assumption? Also, is there a way besides this Merc display to monitor the Smartcraft functions?

4mulafastech 06-28-2006 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by JROMY
I've got Livorsi gauges in my Powerplay with 525's which have Smartcraft capability. I am in the process of installing a Garmin 3206 chartplotter for navigation. As far as I can make out, Merc's GPS is not a chartplotter, but a basic GPS. Am I correct in this assumption? Also, is there a way besides this Merc display to monitor the Smartcraft functions?

Yes. Navman, which is owned by Brunswick (same as Mercury), has chartplotters that will display SmartCraft info with the use of a SmartCraft Gateway. Go to www.navman.com for more info. I was really close to buying the Navman Tracker 5505i but couldn't find a good place to install it in my 292. Ended up getting a Garmin GPSMAP 378 (it doesn't display any SmartCraft info) but it has a NMEA output that communicates to the SC5000 display so it can tie in the waypoint information with the engine function information. In other words... say I am navigating to a waypoint 100 miles away. The SC5000 screen will tell me based on the speed and efficiency (real time) exactly how much fuel I will use to get there. It also has the compass rose screen which will highlight the exact direction to navigate to get to the waypoint. Pretty cool. :cool:

JROMY 06-28-2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
.... but it has a NMEA output that communicates to the SC5000 display so it can tie in the waypoint information with the engine function information...

4mulafastech - What is the SC5000 display?

4mulafastech 06-28-2006 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JROMY
4mulafastech - What is the SC5000 display?

The screen in the middle of the dash below. This is the display from Mercury that shows any and all engine and vessel information and will connect to most chartplotters. It has GPS, but just for speed, not mapping.

chuckbeecher 06-28-2006 03:54 PM

Have SmartCraft on the Verados and they give alot of information and can do several functions at once but I do not like having to navigate the different pages..especially while zip along at higher speeds. Some old steam guages would be great for quick glance and scanning for pressures and temps.
But do love thr SmartCraft modes for fuel used , fuel burns per engine and miles traveled for present trip. The digital read out for tachs are more precise than the tach needles also.

chuckbeecher 06-28-2006 03:57 PM

Have SmartCraft on the Verados and they give a lot of information and can do several functions at once but I do not like having to navigate the different pages..especially while zipping along at higher speeds or rougher water. Some old "steam guages"(Livorsi type) would be great for quick glances and scanning for pressures and temps.
But do love the SmartCraft modes for fuel used , fuel burns per engine and miles traveled for present trip. The digital read out for tachs are more precise than the tach needles also.
Actually both would be the set up and very large in size for the older eyes!!

4mulafastech 06-28-2006 05:34 PM

Another feature I like with the SC5000 is the screen shot showing the steering angle. Really helps knowing where your outdrives are pointed when manuvering in tight quarters or putting the boat in a slip. I find myself clicking that screen on every time I pull in!

Steamin Rice 07-10-2006 09:39 PM

I have a complete set of monster gauges as well as a pair of SC1000 smartcraft monitorrs. The SC1000 are the small round monitors and they work great. The monitor RPM, Temp, Oil PSI, Water PSI, Battery Voltage, Fuel consumption both in GPH and total fues used since last reset. It's really nice to know exactly fuel I have burned.

DollaBill 07-13-2006 12:22 PM

You need both Alex, like mine. The smartcraft gauges are hard to read at high speeds and/or sometimes glare. But, they are nice because you can access historical data in an instant like alarms, etc. Do one smart craft screen and the regular monsters as planned.

Go down the street and check mine out if you want.

Panther 07-13-2006 03:38 PM

I'd rather have 1 guage go down then the whole digital screen go down and loose everything. I would have a mixture of both if I had to choose.

wananewboat 07-13-2006 03:44 PM

Has anyone ever used this screen with the smartcraft, northstarnav.com, it looks like it would do more than the merc screen.

enticer 07-13-2006 08:11 PM

Do NOT use Dumb Craft

Too Old 12-21-2006 04:39 PM

Analog....prefer the look and agree with Panthers concern. ;)

ACTIVESHACK 12-21-2006 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by wananewboat
Has anyone ever used this screen with the smartcraft, northstarnav.com, it looks like it would do more than the merc screen.

Im having one installed on a new 37 Active Thunder. One screen for your chart plotter and smartcraft. I also have complete monster gauges as well. One screen for everthing cleans the dash up nice. I should be able to get some pics. posted in a couple of weeks.

JBmarine 12-22-2006 01:13 AM

No one has mentioned it but you can install System Link Gauges that give your SmartCraft information on individual function (analog looking) gauges. Basically they are repeaters for the System View, System Tach/Speed, or System Monitor controllers.

Also keep in mind that more and more the analog gauge signal from the motor (i.e. 525EFI) is a conversion of the (digital) information from the ECM/PCM to an analog format. Other motor(s) (i.e. Verado) you have to buy an AGI (Analog Gauge Interface) to convert the digital info for use on an analog dash.

Double R Performance 12-22-2006 07:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You can really clean your dash up with Smartcraft, like we did on this 36 Nor-tech http://www.doublerperformance.com/ga...ndex.php?cat=6 (second boat) . If you prefer to view analog gauges, install a large Northstar GPS display and it can show you all your analog readings on the screen.