Notices

Trailering questions

Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering questions

For those of ypou that trailer your boat to the launch....

1. What do you dislike about trailering??

2. What do you dislike about the launch site??

I have a few ideas about to improve a few things. Just wanted to know what others thought.

So lets hear both the pros and cons of dropping in at the launch.

Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Registered

Default Re: Trailering questions

They need a place where you can clean the boat after pulling out, with hose etc. I trailer my boat all the time and I don't mind as long as the docks at the ramp are long enough and the parking in good. They need a seperate area for Jet skis and inexperienced boaters so they don't take so much time on the ramp. I those few thing would happen trailering would be a breeze!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i place to clean the boat is a great idea. clean ramps and not f'ed up ramps would also be good.parking is a huge plus.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

The best ramps I've been to is Newport Beach CA except it 10 or 15 bucks to launch. It's free in Florida. Most ramps are pretty good here but some are so frequently used that at low tide theres a friggin sandbar right behind the trailer from people "power loading" on the trailer. Labed props don't like this, nor do long trailers that fall into a hole because the ramp isn't long enough. Florida still is a great boating place. I'm gonna buy a dry stack slip soon anyway.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 AM

I spend about 135,000 miles a year with a trailer behind me, so I feel naked with out one. More performance boaters seem to have there $hit together then small runabouts, but here are some thoughts.

Before you get in line have your boat ready.

Put plug in.

Unstrap the back.

Put lines on both sides because you never know which side will open up 1st for you to back in.

Look the ramp and driveway over before it's your turn.

Your SETUP while you are still moving forward will make it so much easier when you start backing up, if you can, get the truck and trailer ramp all straight in line before backing up. Never Ever turn around and look out the back window. Always use you mirrors and keep it straight.

The boat launch isn't for practice, find a big parking lot to practice in if you need to.

Turn your blower on just before it's your turn.

Back in until you see the boat start to float, I put my tailgate down before I back in, it's a nice step, unhook the cable or winch strap and float the boat back and tie to the dock

Start the boat and check the gauges. Put drives down.

Go park your rig.

RUN back to your boat. Don't walk if there is someone waiting in line.

If there is no one in front of me when I pull into a launch site I can launch in under 3 minutes from the time I pull in until I'm Idling away from the dock.

My 13 year old son can do it in under 4 min. we take turns and I time him.
He likes to back them in for other people that spend 15 min. and can't get there little 20' in. So say if you think you can go ahead but most say get lost little kid. Then he walks back and says Dad it's my turn today, he just smiles and waves as he backs past them JB

PS. Just remember NEVER EVER HOLD THE NEXT GUY UP, if you need to practice, go find a good spot.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:14 AM

Also, when the truck and trailer are straight I put it in 4 low before backing down a wet steep ramp, it seems to help with the braking. Of coarse I do the same for pulling it out.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Registered

My tip is to lose the superior attitude and try to help someone out if they don't know what they're doing. You, your wife, your 13 year old - whoever - was not born knowing how to launch a boat. If your offer of help is refused then fine, go on about your business, but if you sit back and congratulate yourself on your boat launching prowess and don't try to help, then you are just another a-hole who makes boating less pleasant. I do agree that preparation before you put it in reverse is key. Unless your boat is ready to move on or off the trailer, you should not be on the ramp.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Schnook
My tip is to lose the superior attitude and try to help someone out if they don't know what they're doing. You, your wife, your 13 year old - whoever - was not born knowing how to launch a boat. If your offer of help is refused then fine, go on about your business, but if you sit back and congratulate yourself on your boat launching prowess and don't try to help, then you are just another a-hole who makes boating less pleasant. I do agree that preparation before you put it in reverse is key. Unless your boat is ready to move on or off the trailer, you should not be on the ramp.
I'm sorry if I came across that way. I guess it must have something to do with sitting in the lake tonight for 1 hour and 50 minutes while two guys tried to back down the ramp to retrieve there boats, the guy on the port side backed his front right tire up on the dock and smashed his fender into the pole on his brand new Tahoe, then he was stuck because of the off camber, his left front and his right rear tires had no weight on them and they would just spin. He ended up calling a wrecker. The guy next to him was just as bad but didn't wreck anything. Myself or the 25 other boaters waiting in the water couldn't help them unless we were to swim to shore.
But like you agreed with me on the PREPARATION, this means learning to back up before you ever go to the launch.

My point with my son was, if a 13 year old boy with no license yet can do it very easy, then a grown man with a license to drive should be able to do it as well.

Ps. I see you are new to the board, welcome, you should stick around for awhile and see that we are just one big happy family
Old 06-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Registered

JB4Boyne,

Great post I agree with you 100%. People should not be practing at the ramp. I like your son learned to back the trailer in long before I had my liscence.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I was 13-14 we lived close enough to the ramp to bicycle there and I "taught" people to launch their boats if they got frusturated. The wives always enjoyed a kid showing up their husbands. for some reason now that I an older people just think I am a jackass and not trying to help them.

I went boating a 6 or 7 years ago and the with a school friend, the whole time his dad bragged about how great/fast/perfect of a boat their VIP was, and how they skiied. we get out there I brought a competition slalom ski thinking I may get a little in and they don't even have a rope with a handle, all they do is tubing. When they couldn't even park the boat I was embarrassed to be with them, but just sat there not being rude.

The friends parents dropped me off at home and there sat a ski supreme in the garage, and a 36 cigarette in the backyard. I bet that dad felt like an idiot when he talked to my dad and was told the ski supreme was mine.

grown men need to learn to operate their equipment befor endangering others.

Ernie

Quick Reply: Trailering questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.