Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible  ??? >

Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Notices

Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Old 06-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Wes where do you live?

25 hors.... from west end of fire island, hampton bays is 2 inlets....first is shinnicock then hampton bays......a kid i went to school with has the bait stiore.......used to be judges restaurant.....mark.........p.s....use hampton bays is the better inlet....its been awhile........check before you go.........p.s.........when in doubt go slow...........m.m.......
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Pic a day and i'm blowing off work... MM should have 1 spare seat.

25... only 1 lock. Some sites i found.

http://www.newsday.com/community/gui...ory-navigation

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/5814.html

http://www.shinnecockmaritimecenter.com/
Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Registered

good morning Rob. looking foward to seeing you.Sorry I missed you in Chicago........See you end of July..........We have a spot open for you............m.m..
Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Cant wait... till then i'll...
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are better off running inside from fire island to greenport with your boat if it is blowing...just be careful to follw the markers carfully and stay on top of them...the channels are narrow and the water on each side of them is sometimes ankle deep...

Shinnecock inlet can be dangerous...with breaking rollers if it is windy. And...if you try to run outside from Hampton Bays to Montauk, keep in mind there are no inlets to get in in case of trouble. The inside can be nice...there are no wake zones, but it is quite scenic...

There is only one lock to go through at the Shinnecock Canal and it can be open or closed as indicated previously. I would be too concerned with it...it's not too tough to get through.

From there you have the Peconics which are nice and deep and wide...all the way to greenport.

MM...Judges and Altenkirks...the old days...we used to get all our gear from Hank...and that tackle shop was in business until a couple of years ago...Hank apparenly "blew" all his money away...and closed the doors. Judges is now an Italian rest. I think. The real spot is Tide Runners or Riptide, or whatever they're calling today...it's that little resturant/bar on the canal where you can tie up...I'm sure you remember it...it used to be call the Chart Inn or the Chart House Inn back in the day...
Old 06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered

Sean..........

Hank and I went to private school together in southhampton........1965..........wow............. .P.S.........our science teacher became a Dr. out there........Paul Andrews.......cool guy............mark..........
Old 06-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Registered

small world...his father owned that side of the canal from the train bridge to the montauk hwy bridge... we used to call him "Hank the Bank" LOL they used to build the BEST custom rods... I haven't been around those parts lately, so i dunno what he is up to these days...

hope to see you guys in july, i think wes may have a spot for me on his 41... r u guys planning on running out to the hamptons?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Registered

Sean we stay in freeport....another kid I went to prep school with lived Ocean beach........and still does so we go to see him.we have a friend who lives part time in westhampton so we will be out there........you are in oak beach if i remember.........mark......
Old 06-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in Westhampton in the Summer and the boat is in Hampton Bays.

Sean will be with us as will a couple of other characters.

A nice trip to Greenport or Claudio's is in order I think !
Old 06-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Registered

mark, you may have me confused with someone else... i am in riverhead on the weekends...and live in manhattan. grew up in riverhead...Olsen's Marina in Flanders...used to be owned by the Flors...back in 65 my father bought it in 72, sold it in 87, now it's Strongs...

Quick Reply: Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.