Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible  ??? >

Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Notices

Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Old 06-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

We are at prepare our trip to LIS ...and i ask if it`s possible to short cut Greenport to Fire Island ...or we have to made it by the ocean side ???? ..day 6... of our itinerary...

If you ask ....this is the link for the other thread Family 2006 Vacation

Thank``s a lot to help me !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible  ???-long-island-sound-mod-pour-itin%E9raire.jpg  
Old 06-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Nobody know ?????...Thank`s to take time
Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Originally Posted by SLANDREW
NO SLOW DOWNS OR LOCKS
Oups dont like Lock ......thank`s for the scoop .....last question .....in end of July ...what look like the Ocean ????...lot of Wind ???
Thank`s again to respond me
Old 06-26-2006, 07:44 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

That decision would depend on the conditions that day. If the ocean is good, I would go around Montauk Point and follow the coast to Fire Island. If its rough, you can run the Great South Bay, but be carefull , there are lots of shallow areas. The ocean conditions are not predictable far in advance. There are no times of the year that I can say are calm vs rough. There are just too many variables. If the wind is predicted to be south, you can count on rough seas. North wind is not as bad, you can stay close to the beach and be ok.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:52 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont think there is reason to fear the lock.
greenport to FI, via the shinicock canal/inlet.
That will shave time off the run around montauk.
Or Stay at Block island, then greenport, then back out to montauk. then from montauk to FI via the ocean.
Usually you'll be better off running in the AM, winds will pick up later in the day.
End of July you can get windless calm days.
Usually more so than anyother time of the year.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered

Thank`s again again guy ...your are awesome .....our trip ....look to be wonderful ....and how many lock on the road to FI ??...just to prepare me ...just in case
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Yep, go the canal and lock, usually I just power through the open side, though it can be tricky as that current really rips sometimes!! Check with the lock master on the radio if it is okay. Your boat does not draw that much water, just be sure to stay in the channel and make the run to Watch Hill, Fire Island at high tide if possible. Many houses are breathtaking and you will like the trip much better on the inside than on the outside. Plus, you will burn an enormous amount more fuel if going all around montauk and then ocean to Fire Island Inlet, then back north to Watch Hill. Not sure your boat will have the range either.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a great trip..........will be there with Lucy and the 41 end of July..........p.s.,the steamed ipswich clams are alone worth the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........m.m.......

l

l
Old 06-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CBR
Yep, go the canal and lock, make the run to Watch Hill, Fire Island at high tide if possible. Many houses are breathtaking and you will like the trip much better on the inside than on the outside.
Thank`s for the insight .....we will take your advise ...and pass at high tide ...Thank`s again
Old 06-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

MM -

Need another 41 to run with.....

PM me when you're up here !

Quick Reply: Fire Island ...to ...Hampton Bay .....Long Island NY...is possible ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.