Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Insurance???  Need some direction.... >

Boat Insurance??? Need some direction....

Notices

Boat Insurance??? Need some direction....

Old 06-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Insurance??? Need some direction....

Hello everyone and how are you. I am coming up short on boat insurance. I am located in Tampa, FL and have a 1993 47 foot Fountain with twins.

So far I have tried:

- Total Dollar
- BoatUS.com
- National Marine Underwriters

My driving record is clean and they wont even quote me... seems like nobody realy wants to cover anything in Florida. What do you guys think??

Any help is appreciated.

Q
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 AM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boat Insurance??? Need some direction....

Alliance Risk Managers in Ft. Lauderdale. John Campbell. He insures the OSO boats and has risen where the others have fallen. Google the number and it will come right up.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thank you very much for the information! I called over there and looks like they can get the job done. I need a recent survey... but that is it.

Still probably going to be 6 to 8K per year which seems high to me. What do you guys think?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Also try Worldwide Marine Inc. 517-333-4100 and ask for Bob Luwellen(sp?) if he's still there.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless32
Also try Worldwide Marine Inc. 517-333-4100 and ask for Bob Luwellen(sp?) if he's still there.

Bob's still there and he will get you quoted in FL.! Call him, he's a great guy to work with. He has my Nordic covered here in FL.
Dean
Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Hello guys... I tried Worldwide Ins. and the cost is around 6K to 8K per year to insure the boat. That is for a 100K policy....

I just don't get it... I know that not a lot of 30 year old's are running around with a 47 foot Fountain... but come on, 8K per year????!!!!!????

I don't mind spending $500 a weekend on gas during the season... but $700 per month on boat insurance is getting a little crazy. I'm sure that a lot of you guys have the same problem.

I guess that I am just tired of paying all the BS fees that come with living in Florida. Taxes are 18K / year on my house and another 6K/year to insure it (flood ins.).... the list goes on.

So what are the alternate solutions????? Boat insurance is manditory in Florida, right??? or is it???... your thoughts?

....frustrated in Tampa....

Q
Old 07-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamPSI
Hello guys... I tried Worldwide Ins. and the cost is around 6K to 8K per year to insure the boat. That is for a 100K policy....

I just don't get it... I know that not a lot of 30 year old's are running around with a 47 foot Fountain... but come on, 8K per year????!!!!!????

I don't mind spending $500 a weekend on gas during the season... but $700 per month on boat insurance is getting a little crazy. I'm sure that a lot of you guys have the same problem.

I guess that I am just tired of paying all the BS fees that come with living in Florida. Taxes are 18K / year on my house and another 6K/year to insure it (flood ins.).... the list goes on.

So what are the alternate solutions????? Boat insurance is manditory in Florida, right??? or is it???... your thoughts?

Q
no it is not mandatory unless you have a loan on the boat. there are a lot of peole that are running without insurance these days.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

But would you recomend not having it?(be honest)... most of my friends here locally are pushing me to just drive it without insurance... I guess that I am on the fence.

I paid cash for the boat so I do not have a loan... and really... I would just drive it out to some local islands or "hang out spots" in the tampa bay area and/or Sarasota... nothing really offshore. I am not a hot head and never really get "into it" unless it's glass and no other boats are around.

If you were in my shoes, would you just say, "to hell with the insurance"?

Thanks for the help.

Q
Old 07-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TeamPSI

Q
Where are you at in Tampa? I have not seen any other 47s besides mine. Are you going to brave the waters on the 4th? I am also a thirty something with a 47 Lightning. I got my insurance thru Alliance since they were the only ones that would do it. I paid a little over $8000 for $289,000 worth of coverage. I have no trailer and the boat is kept on a lift. What color is the boat?

Mike
Old 07-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I actually live in Apollo Beach just south of Tampa... just turned 30 last week. Come to think of it, when I made all of my insurance phone calls... I was stil 29.. maybe this made a difference??

Anyway, the motors are yanked right now... I actually put it up for sale due to the insurance deal... but I'm thinking about just keeping it and not going with the insurance. I have twin Merlin blocks and will probably work the motors to 572 without a blower for now.

When I get the motors in, I'll have to get in touch with you...

Q

Quick Reply: Boat Insurance??? Need some direction....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.