Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Insurance on a Cat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/133813-insurance-cat.html)

imagecat 06-27-2006 10:09 AM

Insurance on a Cat

How do you get insurance on a 38 Cat lie and tell them its a fishing boat?????

TSPM 06-27-2006 10:24 AM

Re: Insurance on a Cat

Originally Posted by imagecat
How do you get insurance on a 38 Cat lie and tell them its a fishing boat?????

BAD IDEA !

In the event of a claim, injury, accident or total loss.....you will be on your own. If you hit someone (another boat-jet ski-swimmer) you will be fully liable for the damages. You could loose everything you own.

imagecat 06-27-2006 10:29 AM

Only joking about lying would not do so just trying to find out how to get insurance on a Cat??? I haven't found a company that insures them just need some help??

BLee 06-27-2006 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by imagecat
Only joking about lying would not do so just trying to find out how to get insurance on a Cat??? I haven't found a company that insures them just need some help??

Markel is the only company.

Tantrum 06-27-2006 10:47 AM

Markel here :hammy:

gotime34 06-27-2006 10:52 AM

You have to call Markel Marine Insurance. I think they are the only people that insure Cats right now. They do not work direct, so they will put you through to someone. Then you sit down and wait for them to call back. Sit in a comfortable, sturdy chair because you may pass out when they tell you how much it is and how it hardly covers anything. Then they have to come inspect your boat, etc. I saw a thread the other day that said someone new is writing cats now, but have heard nothing else. Best of luck. :drink: :drink:

rlj676 06-27-2006 11:12 AM

Does anyone know who would be the best to call on a smaller not too fast cat, say 26 daytona with a HO, which is good for about 70 mph I think. Markel told me I could expect around $3500 which seems a bit rediculous for that speed. They said their cutoff for high performance was anything over like 55 mph. I don't understand how insurance companies say that the cost is based on power to weight/length, but flat out won't insure cats, even one that is no faster than most similar high performance v's.

TSPM 06-28-2006 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by BLee
Markel is the only company.

YUP....only game in town :rolleyes:

clearcut3 06-28-2006 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rlj676
Does anyone know who would be the best to call on a smaller not too fast cat, say 26 daytona with a HO, which is good for about 70 mph I think. Markel told me I could expect around $3500 which seems a bit rediculous for that speed. They said their cutoff for high performance was anything over like 55 mph. I don't understand how insurance companies say that the cost is based on power to weight/length, but flat out won't insure cats, even one that is no faster than most similar high performance v's.

Nationwide will insure Cats up to 26' if you have your homeowners and vehicles with them.

dockrocker 06-28-2006 08:17 AM

The thing that kills me is that I cannot believe the accident rate (and thus the risk) for cats is out of line with standard V-hulls.