Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is my girlfriend getting screwed? >

Is my girlfriend getting screwed?

Notices

Is my girlfriend getting screwed?

Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my girlfriend getting screwed?

On shipping.......

My lovely girlfriend (donzichick) bought and paid for (via. paypal) a Gill Marine outboard setback bracket from a guy in Gardena, CA back on June 2nd. she sent e mails and heard nothing back, today, 20 days later she finally gets an e mail from the seller wanting her to call him.

I call this guy and he basically says that there is no way that he can ship this thing for the one hundred dollars that was posted in the add. He says that the hundred bucks was just an estimate, I double checked the add and it specifically states and I quote from the ad "Shipping will be $100 to the lower 48. Thanks for looking!"

He keeps on telling me that its heavy and "over a hundred pounds"....and it has to ship freight. I tell him that UPS will ship up to 150lbs. he then says it wont fit in a small enough box and he already has it boxed on a skid and it weights "around 140lbs. and is 30"x35"x35"" he insisted that it had to be freighted and was going to cost between $150 and $160

I still see no reason why this wont ship UPS. When I call the ph. # it answeres as some kind of motorsports shop so I know dayum well that this isnt his first time shipping parts like this.

What should I do about this?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:57 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is my girlfriend getting screwed?

Check with Fed-Ex ground service. NOT overnight. They have a regular ground option that I have used several times for ebay stuff. It is typically 30-50% less than the UPS or regular freight company quotes. Just an idea.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered

UPS will do it for a fee ($40 additional).
However I think your getting the run around because this really shouldnt be your problem. Your going to have to decide weather your still getting a good deal for the additional $50 he wants.
I would want some pics and more info to be sure its not a scam though.
Here is a UPS link for Weights and Dimmensions.
Good Luck
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...ight_size.html
Old 06-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

If the sale indicated shipping was $100 then it's $100. If the seller committed to shipping for an agreed upon price which was part of the auction he has an obligation to do so. It's his own fault for not doing his homework! If he doesn't see it your way you may want to let eBay know and post names, numbers etc. and a few people on this board may contact him and express their dissatisfaction with his business practices. Everybody likes to help out a lady in distress!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 51 Posts

Tony,

Not the thread I was expecting from the title..........I thought it had something to do with a bachlorette party at PIB last weekend.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you're talking about a single engine Gil bracket like the one pictured below. If so, that bracket packed in a double walled cardboard box and foamed in place with InstaPack which is the way Gil ships them weighs 79 pounds (packaged) and and can ship UPS without a problem.

Note that the mounting ears are sensitive to impact and I've seen UPS break them several times when the bracket was not packaged properly so it is actually better to put it on a pallet and ship it by truck.
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the advise,

Its one of the stainless brackets.

UPS shipping calculator shows $ 171 bucks, however I agree with bobcatz 100%
Attached Thumbnails Is my girlfriend getting screwed?-dsc06239.jpg  
Old 06-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

While the shipping charges may be legit, I've run into people charging excessively high rates. If they expect an item to sell for a low-ball price they'll make up the difference in shipping. They use it like a reserve price.
I was bidding on a used part for a PWC. Right after I bid on it I saw the shipping charges. I freaked. The part would have cost me more than double. Between shipping and purchase price I could almost buy it new. Luckily some one else out bid me.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Registered

Shall I stop by and bend his arms?......
Old 06-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A deal is a deal .. If it says hell ship it for 100 he should. Id walk away ..20 days to get back to you with this sob story.. Hows his feedback ?

Quick Reply: Is my girlfriend getting screwed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.