Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
It's just not a boat insurance issue in FL! >

It's just not a boat insurance issue in FL!

Notices

It's just not a boat insurance issue in FL!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:01 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: It's just not a boat insurance issue in FL!

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
Its called business, profit, free enterprise etc etc. I think $700,000 for a mti or nor- tech is too much. I think $7000 a year for insurance on a home in florida is too much also. That is why I don't have either one. Put beach front property or a mti and nor-tech and they will sell. Put gas at over $3.00 a gallon and people will still drive there car, boats etc etc. They will also buy them when put up for sale. It is not the end of the world. Life goes on. You can't live past your means. Once gas becomes too high FOR ME than I will look at my boat and make a decision on this hobbie. Once my lake home becomes too high FOR ME than I will make a decision on down sizeing.

There you go again with the IGNORANTS! No one said waterfront. Like Dean said these are regular houses. I guess everyone should just pack up and move right?? You are letting your ego of "I own a buisness"get in the way of seeing the GREED of the insurance company. Oh and btw I too own my own buisiness maybe I should raise my rates 70-80%
Old 08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems the only way to keep up with high cost of living is to raise rates, the problem is not every one has a rate to raise.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Registered

No Dean I don't sell insurance. I have always been in small business all my life and my customers and employees always see money going in but not out. You go into business to make money. Period! I don't need the goverment or any other organization telling me or any other business that they are making too much money. Insurance companys ( besides markel) don't see anyway to make money insuring cats so they don't write insurance on cats. I went to eliminator and purchased a new cat that I could afford to pay cash for and keep liability only it. I refused to pay markels insurance price for a cat I would have to fianance and put full coverage on. I don't blame markel. Thats business. They are still in business with out getting any of my money. From a business stand point, If I did own a insurance company, I would not insure homes in cali for earthquakes, homes in florida for huricanes, homes in new orleans for flood, drunks driving boats, etc, etc. If people think there is so much money in insuring them than maybe a new company will open up for business. Thats what america is all about. Free enterprise.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
There you go again with the IGNORANTS! No one said waterfront. Like Dean said these are regular houses. I guess everyone should just pack up and move right?? You are letting your ego of "I own a buisness"get in the way of seeing the GREED of the insurance company. Oh and btw I too own my own buisiness maybe I should raise my rates 70-80%
Hell yes I would move if the insurance companies jumped my rates up that high. I will also park my car and sell my boat if gas goes past $8.00 a gallon. And if you are in business and can raise your rates 70-80% with out losing business to your competion and you don't, than it is you that is ignorant.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

"I would not insure homes in cali for earthquakes, homes in florida for huricanes, homes in new orleans for flood, drunks driving boats, etc, etc."
OK, if that's the case, then State Farm should not be allowed to insure ANYTHING in FL. Besides, the insurance industry is supposed to be state regulated, it's not just free enterprise. State Farm needs to show us, (State of Fl. ins. comm.) how they need these rate increases.

And now, they are saying that there will be ALOT fewer hurricanes in Fl. this year! Do you think State Farm will feed that data into their computer models, probobly not!

Forecasters: Expect fewer hurricanes

BY JIM WAYMER
FLORIDA TODAY

As three new tropical systems threatened to intensify, federal forecasters today dropped two major storms from their seasonal hurricane prediction.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration calls for 12 to 15 named storms, with seven to nine becoming hurricanes -- three or four with winds of 111 mph or greater.

In May, NOAA had called for 13 to 17 named storms, eight to 10 hurricanes -- four to six with winds of at least 111 mph.

The totals include the three tropical storms so far this year -- Alberto, Beryl and Chris. So the remainder of the season, NOAA expects another nine to 12 named storms, seven to nine hurricanes, and three to four with winds of at least 111 mph.

Today, three tropical systems developed in the south Atlantic, one expected soon to become a tropical depression. Low pressure systems began to churn about 1,000 miles east of the Windward Islands, about 700 miles southwest of the Azores and over eastern Cuba and Hispaniola.

NOAA's prediction echoes that of forecaster William Gray, who last week dropped two major hurricanes from his seasonal prediction. Gray's forecast team at Colorado State University predicts 15 named storms, seven hurricanes, and three intense hurricanes - sustained winds 111 mph or greater. That's down from their late May forecast of 17 named storms, nine hurricanes and five intense hurricanes. The long-term average is about 10 named storms and six hurricanes -- two intense.

Like Gray, NOAA officials said the lower prediction is, in part, because of a quicker-than-expected transition away from La Niņa-like rain patterns, a cooling of the eastern Pacific Ocean that leads to more active hurricane conditions. The Pacific Ocean recently warmed a bit near the equator, however, fuelling stronger trade winds in the south Atlantic that can shear tropical storms as they form. If the phenomenon continues, by this October it could lead to a full-fledged El Nino, a cycle of warm water in the Pacific that pushes east and suppresses hurricanes.

Sea surface pressure also has increased, which means a more stable atmosphere and less likelihood for major hurricanes to develop.

This season shouldn't be near as nasty as last year, Gray's team said, because tropical Atlantic Ocean surface temperatures are 1 to 3 degrees cooler than this time last year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact Waymer at 242-3663 or email [email protected]
Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Registered

Dean, this will be my last post. I don't think that insurance companies can justify why they want rate increases outside of to say, its for profit. The same for mti for $700,000, gas $3.00, nike $100, rolex $25,000, victoria secret bras $65.00 etc etc etc. Insurance is just in another long list for me of things that are getting higher and higher. Insurance in my state of oklahoma is around $2000 a year for a $500,000 home and I think that is too high. I will not buy a house on the coast because like buying a cat. The purchase I can afford but not the insurance. I have joked here in oklahoma that we here will pay for part of the katrina damage once the bean counters have figured out how much to charge and divide. The insurance industry is not going to spend 43 billion dollars and not pass it on to everyone who has a policy. Good luck with your fight with the insurance companys. Watch what you wish for when getting the goverment involved in regulating how much a company can profit. The irs already does a good job of that.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dean, this will be my last post. I don't think that insurance companies can justify why they want rate increases outside of to say, its for profit. The same for mti for $700,000, gas $3.00, nike $100, rolex $25,000, victoria secret bras $65.00 etc etc etc. Insurance is just in another long list for me of things that are getting higher and higher. Insurance in my state of oklahoma is around $2000 a year for a $500,000 home and I think that is too high. I will not buy a house on the coast because like buying a cat. The purchase I can afford but not the insurance. I have joked here in oklahoma that we here will pay for part of the katrina damage once the bean counters have figured out how much to charge and divide. The insurance industry is not going to spend 43 billion dollars and not pass it on to everyone who has a policy. Good luck with your fight with the insurance companys. Watch what you wish for when getting the goverment involved in regulating how much a company can profit. The irs already does a good job of that.

gs,
I hear ya, and you are right, insurance is out of control in alot of areas! And like you have stated about your cat, we are looking at the same approach on our home, pay it off, and just get insurance for everything EXCEPT Hurricane damage, and battion down the hatches!
Dean
Old 08-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone has to pay for all those big expensive house that always get blown away
Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by CAP071
Someone has to pay for all those big expensive house that always get blown away
Yep,
And the way insurance co.s work, EVERYBODY is going to pay, not just us living in FL.!
Dean
Old 08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what america is all about. Free enterprise.
Goddamn, the more I read from you, the more pissed I get! There are certain things we HAVE to have, insurance being one of them. I understand making a fuking profit, I own a business too. It's the stuff we absolutely cannot live without that the government DOES have to step in and put greed in check. The fuking insurance companies have been making money hand over fist forever, and they have two years in the last 50 where maybe they only broke even, and they justify this sh1t!?

I've said it before, and I truly believe our governor, Jeb Bush, has a sincere caring for his constituents, unlike other greedy bastids that will allow the insurance companies to rape us, then probably take a job with them in a year or two as a "consultant". Our insurance commisioner, and his office should be concerned with US, not the ins companies. It's a crock of sh1t, I know it, and they know it, everyone but Gsmith knows it. The fricking insurance companies aren't going to leave the state, they make too much money here as it is. It for instance State Farm wants to raise property insurance out of sight, the insurance commisioners should say, fine, don't write any policies in Florida, and that would include Auto, Life, Health, etc. Fuking theifs!

Btw, my homeowner's insurance doubled last year.

Quick Reply: It's just not a boat insurance issue in FL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.