Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thinking of going to 300x motors - What is in involved? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134119-thinking-going-300x-motors-what-involved.html)

X-Rated30 06-30-2006 01:35 PM

Thinking of going to 300x motors - What is in involved?

I hate to interrupt all of the cat vs vee crap with a real question, but here goes...

I am thinking of switching from 2.5efi motors to the 300x engines on my 30 foot Spectre. What will be involved in the switch? What hardware can I keep and what will I need? Steering? Jack plates? etc.

X-Rated30 06-30-2006 01:42 PM

Re: Thinking of going to 300x motors - What is in involved?

3 Attachment(s)
Current setup...

dreamboater 06-30-2006 01:42 PM

Wing Plates and gauges, you will also need to add the oil tanks. Not sure how the electronics will line up. The 300x's run off of the smart craft system. I had a friend that just went through the same switch. He did it himself. I know T2x went through this a couple of years ago. If you do a search I believe you will learn a lot about whats involved. I know others have done the same.

Tantrum 06-30-2006 02:26 PM

I think the move would be well worth it.
Mine was converted at TNT before I purchased it so Im not sure on the gory details of the wireing harnesses. As dreamboater said wingplates, you will need (or should) add the smartcraft gauges, oil tanks for the injection. Other than that you no longer need your fuel pumps, and might want to move alitlle weight forward because they will be a little heavier.
Hopefully taller props too ;)
Good luck with it and let us know what else has to be changed.

sakoutis3 06-30-2006 02:42 PM

You will need lots of money. :eek: :D

open87 06-30-2006 05:38 PM

he's got that part covered :D :D

bermudaboy 07-01-2006 07:44 AM

We changed a 24 Skater from 2.5 Efi's to 300's
You have to change the wing plates and add the oil tanks. The guages are the same if you want.
The boat has 180lbs in the bow or at least an 18 gallon ballast tank. Boat is set up on the safe side with the motors up 1" from the bottom. Props are 14.75 x 34 and the boat runs 107 @ 4800. That's fast enough for right now as there is lots left.

Cheers,

Andy

X-Rated30 07-01-2006 10:16 AM

The main reason I was thinking about switching was I keep breaking stuff in the lower units. I would love the extra speed, but that isn't my motivation. Then yesterday, someone told me the lower unit's components are about the same.

I have broken driveshafts and prop shafts and have lost two good props and a few good weekends because of it. Would switching to the 300s help?

Tantrum 07-01-2006 10:38 AM

Lower units are still a problem.
Ive blown shift shaft seals multiple times and donated a brand new prop to Lake George. It appears to be a problem mainly on cats that surface the prop. If the lower units are why you are making the change It might not be worth it for you. Performance, user friendliness and resale are going to be your gains.

timewarp 07-01-2006 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
The main reason I was thinking about switching was I keep breaking stuff in the lower units. I would love the extra speed, but that isn't my motivation. Then yesterday, someone told me the lower unit's components are about the same.

I have broken driveshafts and prop shafts and have lost two good props and a few good weekends because of it. Would switching to the 300s help?

If the propshaft breakage is your main concern you should just convert your existing lowers to the fat shafts like the newer Sportmasters use, from your pictures it looks like you are running the small propshafts, kits are available from Mercury with new shafts, washers, locknut, and prop hub assembly,
Right hand part number 44-840451A03
Left hand part number 44-840450A03

If you are running props with out the removable Flo-Torq II
hubs you will need to get some. You would have to do that with the 300x's also as they all have the large shafts.

Also if your worried about missing a weekend having a spare set of gearcases will be cheaper than changing motors, and your still going to have problems even with the 300x's.

Caleb