Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who uses who's dock lines? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134218-who-uses-whos-dock-lines.html)

C_Spray 07-03-2006 11:54 AM

Re: Who uses who's dock lines?

www.IMakeRope.com. Real nylon braid-on-braid, salty dawg kind of stuff, not poly clothesline material....

R Addiction 07-03-2006 01:08 PM

Chuck, Where are you at? These battery trays are gonna take a bit, do you need them soon?

PhantomChaos 07-04-2006 10:57 AM

What's with all the deleted posts GOODT?

Pantera1 07-04-2006 11:03 AM

Could someone please tell me the benefit of floating dock lines.. Ski Rope I can see but why dock lines.. Poly sucks !

Scott B 07-04-2006 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by C_Spray
www.IMakeRope.com. Real nylon braid-on-braid, salty dawg kind of stuff, not poly clothesline material....

Damnit.. quit giving our local secrets away... :cool:

satisfactionII 07-04-2006 06:13 PM

Top Knot. Good price, good looking lines, good quality.

rouxsterre 07-04-2006 06:44 PM

On a HydroHoist it's a good idea to push the boat back against the lines before you raise the lift. I do it every time. That way ( as your boat is pointing toward the friggin moon ) it will not slip backwards.

If you had to use a screwdriver to remove the line from the cleat, you're KNOT using the correct knot . . . :D

Pantera1 07-04-2006 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Top Knot. Good price, good looking lines, good quality.

Polypropylene

cuda 07-04-2006 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Could someone please tell me the benefit of floating dock lines.. Ski Rope I can see but why dock lines.. Poly sucks !

You've never seen anybody run over there own dock line?

C_Spray 07-05-2006 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
You've never seen anybody run over there own dock line?

The way go-fast props churn up the water, even at idle, anything within 6' gets sucked in, floating or not.

I was the "friend" that RAddiction was rafted up to. I was looking straight at the line when it parted. The wake-rocking wasn't that violent or extreme, and the broken line would have resulted in a major drama if the raftup had been any more than just the two of us. I selected my lines based on their ability to do their primary job - protect my boat by holding it in place. I understand the attraction of floating lines, or lines with your boat's name embroidered on them - I've bought from every company mentioned here. They all make a well-manufactured product, but there are "horses for courses", and sometimes strength counts more than everything else. In that case, you want nylon braid-on-braid, and I've been very happy with Miami Cordage. Ecstatic, as a matter of fact. Custom-made lines at a price equal to or cheaper than off-the-shelf equivalents.