Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Etiquette at the Docks . . . . >

Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Notices

Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Where the he!! were the dock boys and/or restaurant management? They would be the people that I would involve. They can move the other boat if they want (after all - it's their dock), and any resulting headaches are theirs.
That's what I was thinking - at most on-water places around here, there is staff that will tie up your boat, and move it if necessary. Dockage tends to be limited and they will enforce rafting when it gets busy. The dockhands are good - they move boats around like you wouldn't believe.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
That's what I was thinking - at most on-water places around here, there is staff that will tie up your boat, and move it if necessary. Dockage tends to be limited and they will enforce rafting when it gets busy. The dockhands are good - they move boats around like you wouldn't believe.
none of the restaurants on lake travis have dock boys. you just pull up and tie up.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
If it was an immaculate 46 Skater or OL with matching fenders and docklines, I wouldn't have touched it, cause those are often the wicked anal types. But then again, that kinda guy is watching his boat so hard his eyeballs dry out.
I guess if you do it, you ARE chancing a "Type-A" confrontation.
if you got away with it Roux.. good for you. Your intentions were good.
But I'm trying to follow the logic here.
So... a guy with a $250,000 boat is more worthy of respect than a guy with a $15,000 boat?

If a guy does not have a skater or an OL then he probably doesn't care about his boat and you can proceed without regard?

I may or may not pitch a fit when I get to the float... but you start changing my lines on my immaculate 1987 resin bucket and you are gonna meet a very concerned owner with a raised defcon level.
(I don't tie up in such a way as to leave a half a space on each end of the boat... so it shouldn't happen anyway.)

I would only touch another person's vessel if I felt that I could save it from imminent danger.

If your boat caught on fire, I would move the boat next to you.

If my boat didn't fit in the available space I would make a mental note to get an earlier start next time. That way... I don't have to show up last and move people's stuff.

I think that playing psychic about whether someone will care that you messed with their boat/lines is a bad plan.

Even at my yacht club, members will visually check each other's boats, but we do not change each other's lines.
Heck, we don't even board each other's boats without permission to board granted by the skipper.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wont move another boat to get in unless it's a buddies. I do always check adjacent boats lines to make sure they are secure. If they're not and I cant find the owner I'll secure them.

That's as far as I'd go, I have seen some total a-holes at the dock and wouldn't want to have to have to justify moving their boat. Right or wrong they are there first regardless of where they tie up.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:38 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't touch my boat and I won't touch yours to me is a good rule.....BZ
Old 07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Fund . . . jeezus man.

It not about respecting a Skater, whatever.
I don't know if you read the "Shoes on Boats" thread or not. . . . honest to God, there were guys saying they don't want girls to wear friggin JEWELRY on their boat fer chrissakes. Like put on a Haz-Mat suit before you board MY boat ("wait there, I've got 'em right here").

This guys boat was much like mine. Clean. Shipshape. That's it.

And the "mental note to leave earlier" thing.
This was later afternoon. After 50-odd miles on a pretty big day in the Pacific Ocean to Catalina Island and back.

Anyways, it is NOT something I ever undertake lightly. Hence the thread.
It's been pretty interesting so far.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Registered

OK . . .

You're driving your new 40SS Formula Cruiser.
You pull up with your party, to get a late-afternoon lunch. Everybody's hungry.
You're waiting for a spot. There's other boats waiting as well. Eventually, most of the boats leave, leaving you a 50' space. Except for an 8' Zodiac right in the middle. You wait 20 min more.

What do you do ?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Registered

Scnario where I once moved someones boat and tied it back up better than it was. There are 100' Long docks 25 feet apart there are two 10' beam or less boats tied up I pull my 7 foot beam all the way in on the right. Go to dinner, come back to find a 10 foot beam behind me next to one tied to the other dock " I CANT LEAVE " In an effort to possibly avoid moving someone I wait maybe 45 minutes... Having a half dozen friends that have all grown up in boats we moved the beast I pulled out and the queen mary was retied the way it is supposed to be . Block me in and leave it unnatended Ill move it
Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
OK . . .

You're driving your new 40SS Formula Cruiser.
You pull up with your party, to get a late-afternoon lunch. Everybody's hungry.
You're waiting for a spot. There's other boats waiting as well. Eventually, most of the boats leave, leaving you a 50' space. Except for an 8' Zodiac right in the middle. You wait 20 min more.

What do you do ?
Buy an 8 foot zodiac ?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Buy an 8 foot zodiac ?
Now that IS funny.

Quick Reply: Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.