Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Info on Pfaff motors and Max Machine Worx drives.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134404-info-pfaff-motors-max-machine-worx-drives.html)

Dean Ferry 07-05-2006 10:21 AM

Info on Pfaff motors and Max Machine Worx drives....

Specifically, the Phaff 600 Challanger EFIs. And I'm not sure what version of the Worx drives are on the boat, I'm awaiting a call back from Max's.
Please let me know the good, bad and the ugly, if there is any Ugly! I've heard good things about both shops, but I want to hear some first hand opinions.
Thanks,
Dean :D

In2Deep 07-05-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Info on Pfaff motors and Max Machine Worx drives....

I grenaded a drive last week at Havasu-- and went to Max Machine Works.
All I can say is that a) Jason and Aaron have a top-shelf reputation, b) they addressed my issue quickly, and got me back on the water -- all fixed (new uppers).

I've heard nothing but good things about Max....and my first, first-hand experience with them was nothing but good. i highly recommend.

I2D

Dean Ferry 07-05-2006 12:34 PM

I2D,
Thanks for your input, and I talked to Aaron this morning, nice guy, he's looking into something for me. But still looking for some feedback on Pfaff motors from you west coast guys.
Dean

LakeRacer 07-05-2006 01:01 PM

Dean,
Devil Man (Ron) doesn't get on the boards very much since he sold his boat. He had some Pfaff motors in his Cig and had nothing but praise for them. Ask Nort if DMan is still around for some input.

EBM also did an article on Pfaff 2 or 3 issues ago...lot's of good info/history about the company.

Did you get my pm?

Panther 07-05-2006 01:15 PM

Jason/Aaron seem like really stand up guys from the times I've dealt with them.

The issue really isn't with MaxMachine, the problem is the gears. Even though they blue print the gears etc, it's still an XR gear. With the amount of HP you're talking about you may not reach the limits of the drive though.

Because my HP/Weight ratio is so high, I decided to switch over to BMax because of the 5" upper gears. I kept grenading IMCO Extreme Uppers, I would loose a tooth of the drive gear everytime. All the while the lowers held together really well. Too much juice I guess.. :rolleyes:

thisistank 07-05-2006 05:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mike Bobbit runs a set of very large Pfaff motors in his 40 Skater "strictly Buisness" and has been happy. He had a set in his Scarab prior to the Skater too. (for the most part).

Tom Whitam (Hustlethis) has a set of 1200's (I think) Pfaff's in his T/S Gun that he loves. Took them with him from the Hustler.

Dave Rankin has a set off 1000+'s in his 38 KV Scarab that he's had for a while and is happy with them.

Another friend that isn't on the boards has a set of the 600 naturals in his 36 Eliminator Daytona and said he loved them. Never a problem.

Everything I've heard has been good about Pfaff.

Here's bobbits Skater and his Scarab.
and Ron Songraths old boat "Running with the Devil"

thisistank 07-05-2006 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here's Tom's Cig "Hot for Teacher" and Daves KV "Penzoil"

Dean Ferry 07-06-2006 06:27 AM

Tank,
Thanks alot for the feedback. I'm alittle leary of buying this boat I'm looking at ONLY because I don't know anybody with Pfaff/Max worx set-upl, and especially since they are both on the west coast and it's not like I can pull the possible new boat into either one of their shops, if I have a problem! :cool:
Dean

Dean Ferry 07-08-2006 06:57 AM

ttt

Bad Girl 07-08-2006 10:09 AM

I run Pfaff sc900's and love them.They turned down the power with low compression, low boost and run 91 octane in them. They engineered the torque and hp curve to be high enough in the rpm band to enable great cruising speed without running at or near peak torque where a drive would break.
I would get the stamping number off of the block and call pfaff to see when they were built and if ever sent back for repair. They keep meticulious records and can tell you everything about the motors.
hope this helps.
Ken