Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Did OSO sell my email address to spamers? >

Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Notices

Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Originally Posted by Wild
I got it yesterday also
I got it twice yesterday

oh wait, i didnt get an email from hustler.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:23 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the years I have been asked by many people to give the list. Some even approached it in a way that they were going to give the members something for free, etc. Very creative but I always at the end said "yeah, you tell me what you want to say and I will send it FROM ME to the members"

I have been approached by several poker websites who search the search engines and because of our participation and discussions about poker runs our name comes up. They have offered big money to run banners on the site. I have turned it down over and over as this is a boating site and gambling can be a real problem for some people. I will not help a member lose his/her hard earned money so the site can make a buck.

I have a way of limiting a moderators or admins access to certain areas. One area that can only be accessed by the webmaster and myself is the e-mail/user area where you can genearte an e-mail list. Employees of OSO can access the users name and password but can not access the part of the software that can build them a list with the touch of a button.

This subject is very important to me, it like giving up the secret recipe to make the best pizza.

Besides all the reasons you could think of, we have promised from day one that we would not do it and we won't. Integrity is very important to me.

Steve
Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are using Outlook, just go through your emails every day, and block the senders. I have had the same email address for damn near 10 years, and don't get spam. When I do see it, I block the sender.

It's basically a one-click fix.

Also keep your adware, spyware, and antivirus up to date. And Windows Update. Don't EVER SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING . . .

Even a software firewall will be helpful.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OSOAdmin
Over the years I have been asked by many people to give the list. Some even approached it in a way that they were going to give the members something for free, etc. Very creative but I always at the end said "yeah, you tell me what you want to say and I will send it FROM ME to the members"

I have been approached by several poker websites who search the search engines and because of our participation and discussions about poker runs our name comes up. They have offered big money to run banners on the site. I have turned it down over and over as this is a boating site and gambling can be a real problem for some people. I will not help a member lose his/her hard earned money so the site can make a buck.

I have a way of limiting a moderators or admins access to certain areas. One area that can only be accessed by the webmaster and myself is the e-mail/user area where you can genearte an e-mail list. Employees of OSO can access the users name and password but can not access the part of the software that can build them a list with the touch of a button.

This subject is very important to me, it like giving up the secret recipe to make the best pizza.

Besides all the reasons you could think of, we have promised from day one that we would not do it and we won't. Integrity is very important to me.

Steve
You're the best Steve and personify why OSO is successful. Integrity is indeed EVERYTHING

Now when will we be able to order the secret pizza????
Old 07-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Registered

I also recived some mail from Hustler just deleated it, but may be some one should give them a call and let them know who ever is doing it we are on to them
Old 07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Registered

just went through my deleated mail it was emailed from ............

[email protected]

and at the bottom of the ad is this address

[email protected]

so it was sent directly from them

Last edited by GOODT; 07-07-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap. What is Hustler trying to tell me by not sending me the e-mail?!?!? I am not good enough to buy their boats and the rest of you are????

That is it! I am never buying one of their boats!!!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 03:38 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
If you put your email address within a post on a thread.....it can be skimmed from the site by programs designed for this.
Bingo - post your e-mail on a boating site and a spider will grab it and market to you exactly what your interested in.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
asg
VIP Member
VIP Member

I would rather get the boating junk mail than the ones that keep trying to steal my eBay passowrds.....
Old 07-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Originally Posted by GOODT
just went through my deleated mail it was emailed from ............

[email protected]

and at the bottom of the ad is this address

[email protected]

so it was sent directly from them
LOL. Since you posted those 2 addresses, the spyder will skim the site pick up these 2 addresses, add them to the list, and then
HUSTLER WILL GET THEIR OWN SPAM.

Quick Reply: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.