Like Tree0Likes

Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Reply
Old 07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mississippi River
Posts: 106
Default Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

I have received a unsolicited e-mail from Hustler Powerboats thanking me for my intrest in Hustler Powerboats? Hell they even will be contacting me by phone soon..

I only frequent a couple boating sites and the other I know does not sell e-mail addresses.. Does OSO sell this to spamers?
ZP\'d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 AM
  #2
Were doomed!
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
My Boats: Chris Craft Stinger 222
Posts: 5,528
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

i got the same email......
__________________
-Wally

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Wally is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:50 AM
  #3
Registered
 
NJgr8ful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lanoka Harbor, NJ
My Boats: 330SS Formula 496's
Posts: 3,353
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

me 3
NJgr8ful is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:08 AM
  #4
Registered
Platinum Member
 
nordic95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
My Boats: 32' Fountain Fever
Posts: 1,838
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

I got it too.
nordic95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:11 AM
  #5
OSO
Super Moderator
VIP Member
 
OSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
My Boats: I like them all!!
Posts: 2,730
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Never

I have been asked many times but we have had this policy since day one. Only way the list is being sold is with the entire site which will probably not happen in my lifetime.

I have a very strict policy on this. I think spammers should be prosecuted like any regular criminal. They have ruined the internet and take hours per week of peoples valuable work time away.

Here is the quote from the registration page:

WE DO NOT SELL OR SHARE ANY OF OUR MEMBERS INFORMATION!!
New Member Registration


Here is a quote from our Terms of Service:

OFFSHOREONLY.COM DOES NOT SELL OR SHARE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION INCLUDING E-MAIL ADDRESSES TO OUTSIDE SOURCES!!

What magazines have you subscribed to in the past? What other boating sites do you belong to?

Remember while very labor intensive someone could sit and e-mail you through the forum by clicking on your profile one person at a time.
OSO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
  #6
Registered
 
fund razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
My Boats: Apache 28 Brave
Posts: 8,170
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSOAdmin
Remember while very labor intensive someone could sit and e-mail you through the forum by clicking on your profile one person at a time.
They would have to be a paying member though, right?

I have never gotten the sense that OSO had sold my info. Ever.

You guys must have something else in common.
fund razor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:27 AM
  #7
Registered
 
TEAMBAJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bucyrus, Ohio
My Boats: 24 OUTLAW
Posts: 6,654
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZP'd
I have received a unsolicited e-mail from Hustler Powerboats thanking me for my intrest in Hustler Powerboats? Hell they even will be contacting me by phone soon..

I only frequent a couple boating sites and the other I know does not sell e-mail addresses.. Does OSO sell this to spamers?
Are you sure you didnt get drunk at a boat show and sign up for some free sh*t?
TEAMBAJA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mississippi River
Posts: 106
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSOAdmin
Never

I have been asked many times but we have had this policy since day one. Only way the list is being sold is with the entire site which will probably not happen in my lifetime.

I have a very strict policy on this. I think spammers should be prosecuted like any regular criminal. They have ruined the internet and take hours per week of peoples valuable work time away.

Here is the quote from the registration page:

WE DO NOT SELL OR SHARE ANY OF OUR MEMBERS INFORMATION!!
New Member Registration


Here is a quote from our Terms of Service:

OFFSHOREONLY.COM DOES NOT SELL OR SHARE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION INCLUDING E-MAIL ADDRESSES TO OUTSIDE SOURCES!!

What magazines have you subscribed to in the past? What other boating sites do you belong to?

Remember while very labor intensive someone could sit and e-mail you through the forum by clicking on your profile one person at a time.

Thank You for reminding me to have fairth in OSO
. I didn't figure OSO would but found it wierd considering I really don't subscribe to anything that requires my e-mail other then the boating websites.. Pizzed me off when I seen it this morning thus my apology.

Now I'm just pizzed at Hustler Powerboats....
ZP\'d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
  #9
Registered
 
PhantomChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bell Canyon, CA
My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
Posts: 12,756
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

If you put your email address within a post on a thread.....it can be skimmed from the site by programs designed for this.
PhantomChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
  #10
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: PA USA
My Boats: Fast Boats , Fast Cars
Posts: 1,417
Default Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

got the same email also
baja27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
berns29scarab
General Racing Discussion
2
09-16-2004 01:43 PM
Waterfoul
General Boating Discussion
7
11-27-2003 09:18 PM
Waterfoul
General Boating Discussion
15
09-08-2003 06:38 PM
TJP
Superboat
1
09-18-2002 06:15 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.