Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   HP500's - need opinions please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134688-hp500s-need-opinions-please.html)

Ca$hed Out 07-08-2006 08:25 PM

HP500's - need opinions please

2 Attachment(s)
Looking at a 2000 model boat with HP500's carbureted. I am a bit hesitant because of the motors, feeling that this is old technology. For the engine savy (I am certainly not) can anyone speak to the pros and cons of each and help alleviate any concerns I may have?

Please excuse my 'borrowing' of engine pics for reference.

shawn 07-08-2006 08:42 PM

Re: Hp500

Mine run great. I have replaced the valve springs, head gaskets and did a valve job on them. Yours will need the same as they have at least six seasons on them.
I think carb motors are easier to upgrade and as reliable as EFIs. The "old" technology is easier for the average guy to learn, maintain and fix when needed. Its not rocket science. You can be taught to change jets, but not map a fuel curve.

Good luck either way you go.
Shawn

CBR 07-08-2006 09:32 PM

Re: HP500's - need opinions please

I hated my carb moters, not 500s though. Hard to start, frequently stalled when trying to dock. Fun! NOT!

Ripped everything out and went with fuel injected motors. That was 4 years ago, my engines have never stalled since, and fire up on the first crank. Says it all.

BajaRunner 07-08-2006 09:44 PM

ive got carb hp500's, never stalled on me and run great.

BajaRunner 07-08-2006 09:44 PM

i did replace the valve springs and head gaskets

racesdad 07-08-2006 09:46 PM

buy a 500 efi intake and elactornicds, make them efis
know where a couple are too. fairly cheap too

99fever27 07-08-2006 09:47 PM

I have a '99 carb hp500. Runs great, never stalls and very dependable.

Linster 07-09-2006 05:56 AM

Are you looking to upgrade to a twin? I see no problem with the 500 carbs. Quite a few have them on the James. If they have not been rebuilt, youu will need to do that right away. They do have valve spring issues. Not too costly if you catch it before it breaks.

Are you going on the RPBA Poker Run? If so I will see you on Friday afternoon.

docmanrich37 07-09-2006 06:13 AM

Shawn i know i owe you a phone call but give me a call today.I have a solution to the problem of carb motors.install my complete 525 efi systems and you'll be good to go.

Just think a week from now Linster we'll be waking up to a massive hangover. :D

yahoo 07-09-2006 07:22 AM

I have had both carbs and efi, I wouldnt mess with the efi, the carbs run great. Make sure you change the valve springs if they have not been changed yet. The ones from Merc broke and caused lots of problems.

That being said the efi motors had cmi headers and the carbs had gil type exhaust. If you put the cmi headers on the carb motors you will make more power than the efi's. I have the dyno sheets to prove it.

Also hate the black smoke from the efi's if you hit the rev limiter.