Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boats just sitting around..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134735-boats-just-sitting-around.html)

Hydrocruiser 07-09-2006 06:30 PM

Boats just sitting around.....

Ever notice at some marinas...beautiful yachts...offshore rig...lots of 'em...absolutely just siting there...used maybe 2-3 times a season for a trip to the nearest drop anchor site...

It amazes me...a guy who owns a very large dock-a-minium with hundreds of million dollar plus boats say that many are places that are used to drink beer at the docks or get a sun tan...amazing!

CigDaze 07-09-2006 07:43 PM

Re: Boats just sitting around.....

I know. I see it all the time and it's a shame. I would say a good third of the boats at my marina fall into the same category, used maybe once or twice a year. Every time they go out they have to buy new batteries. :(

spk1 07-09-2006 07:46 PM

Thats always bothered me also, a few of the ones that I watched do nothing most of the year were corporate write offs, company owned boats etc. but yea its amazing how many really nice boats just dont get used. We used ours every weekend of the year, condo in the winter, sportfish thru almost the summer, where else would you want to be. :evilb:

FeverMike 07-09-2006 07:46 PM

Yep...there is a beautiful 36 Apache inmy neighbor hook that just sitis on the lift. It's well taken care of it just never get's in the watermuch. Me...my wife and I...are out every weekend!

Ms PatriYacht 07-09-2006 08:26 PM

a lot of them by are used as weekend cottages. We used to rack store and so many of the slip holders would hardly ever leave the marina unless it was to putt around in their inflatable dingy, the dingies got a lot more use than the boats :D

We did have an older Scarab a few years back and for several years while we were building our house we were to busy to take it out. One year the first time I went out was on Labor Day :D So sometimes there are reasons

Tony Montana 07-09-2006 08:29 PM

You think boats are bad. I was in a 30,000 yes 30K sq ft home on the ocean last week that the owners only use 2-3 times a year :eek: Property tax alone is $200,000 a year :eek: :eek:

Oh and by the way they also have a yacht at the home that probably dosen't get used every time (of the whole 2-3 times down) :rolleyes:

Must be nice to have money like that

HayJay 07-09-2006 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Property tax alone is $200,000 a year :eek: :eek:

Holy sh!t! :eek: $200k a year at the titty bar I can understand :p .......but in property taxes......WILLINGLY??!! :eek:

99fever27 07-09-2006 10:38 PM

Holy sh!t! $200k a year at the titty bar I can understand .......but in property taxes......WILLINGLY??!!

LMAO!