What boat parts do you take with you >

What boat parts do you take with you

Notices

What boat parts do you take with you

Old 07-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What boat parts do you take with you

We were on Lake Erie today and seaweed was everywhere All of a sudden the oil temp on one of the engines was sky high, Ian checks and we have no water pumping so he thinks we may have taken in some seaweed and smoked the impeller. He had an extra one in the truck but opted to just head home to fix it. Of course I wanted to know why it wasn't on the boat So it got me to wondering what spare boat parts (not your tool box) you all travel with and do you try to make the repairs while on the water.

We were on a run one time with a guy that smoked his whole water pump, he happend to have and new one on board, and in 30 min. was back running. Where do you draw the line on how many spare parts to stow on board.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: What boat parts do you take with you

Donna, I keep a spare coil,spark plugs,tape,wire and fuses and a few bolts PLUS A TOW ROPE . When I travel out of state I bring a spare outdrive,prop,oil,filter and distributer but off course not on board. The problem about lets say changing a water pump is once the hoses are dissconnected you might have water pouring into your boat and if you dropped a bolt under the motor or something it would be very difficult to retrieve,especially while boat is rocking and getting slammed around by waves so some repairs are just much easier on the trailer or at home,Smitty
Old 07-09-2006, 09:07 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Spare belts, fuel filters, plugs, impeller, motor oil and drive oil all on board. Along with a tool box I keep a JC Perf toolkit handy too (Duct tape and double brown bags )
Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Donna, thought you were coming to SOTW. How is the boat running other than the water pump? Enough hours yet to test at WOT?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ratickle
Donna, thought you were coming to SOTW. How is the boat running other than the water pump? Enough hours yet to test at WOT?
We cut back on several poker runs this year, we are trying to conserve on cash (if that's possible when you own an offshore ). Other than this little snafu the boat seems to be running great, however we are still shy a few hours of running WOT. If it is only they impeller then we will be back running by tomorrow.

You should have seen the wad of seaweed we brought home from Lake Erie, I swear there must have been 5 to 8 pounds hanging off the left outdrive. We never looked at the stern after getting in on the trailer, so we drove all the way home like that. When I saw it I was actually embarrassed, sort of like realizing you had spinach between your teeth

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 07-09-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:58 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Impellers, couple belts, I use to carry extra drive oil cap when I had Bravo's.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and for those of us who aren't good at fixing big mechanical things ourselves....I bring the phone number of a reputable boat fixer nearby wherever I go -- and keep it in my blackberry/cell.

Yup, and a tow rope.

I2D
Old 07-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

MSD Box, coil, cap/rotor, blower belts, water pump, motor oil, drive oil, misc. washers/bolts, wire, butt connectors, fuses etc. Enough tools to dissasemble a motor if I had too....

I'm sure if I took all the misc. crap out of the boat I would pick up 1-2 mph.....

Did I leave anything out?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Donna, we missed you in South Haven this weekend! No seeweed in sight either. ok ok, I take spark plugs, extra spark plug and coil wire, impeller, engine and outdrive oil, DRAIN PLUG, vhf radio, test light or voltmeter, electrical wire, butt connectors, fuses, belts, lots of tape, lots of tools, and TOW rope. i hate carrying all this crap, but if I needed it on the lake I would be pizzed. In the truck I now carry two spare tires for the triple axle trailer, bearings, seals, grease, brake line, brake fluid, a block off fitting for one of the brake lines, in case I lose a wheel cylinder, I could just bleed the brakes and get going again.
PS.....I know Ian has electrical tape for the trailer wiring.....talk to ya soon. KS
Old 07-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
We cut back on several poker runs this year, we are trying to conserve on cash (if that's possible when you own an offshore ). Other than this little snafu the boat seems to be running great, however we are still shy a few hours of running WOT. If it is only they impeller then we will be back running by tomorrow.

You should have seen the wad of seaweed we brought home from Lake Erie, I swear there must have been 5 to 8 pounds hanging off the left outdrive. We never looked at the stern after getting in on the trailer, so we drove all the way home like that. When I saw it I was actually embarrassed, sort of like realizing you had spinach between your teeth
Ya, that spinach bet. your teeth will get U everytime!!

Quick Reply: What boat parts do you take with you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.