Notices

42 Fountain Bravo 1 Broke in Half

Old 07-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: 42 Fountain Bravo 1 Broke in Half

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
How bout this one, then ! My first 50 Nor Tech exactly 3 yrs ago. It was in a part of Georgian Bay called the 30,000 Islands. While there are that many above the surface, there are 100 times that lurking just below. Happened in an area that I had passed thru many times before. Was travelling at minimum planning speed, watching chart plotter, chart in hand, had my eye on the bouy and BAM ! No hull damage. Within a minute of it happening a local tow boat idled over and asked " may we help you?" For a long time I was suspicious that someone (read towboat) had moved a bouy but may have been just my unwillingness to admit I screwed up. As you can see from the pics I still cruise those waters in my current Nor Tech. No problem since. It is just too beautiful to stay away.
btb
Wow, that's what ya call a BAD DAY!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
How bout this one, then ! My first 50 Nor Tech exactly 3 yrs ago. It was in a part of Georgian Bay called the 30,000 Islands. While there are that many above the surface, there are 100 times that lurking just below. Happened in an area that I had passed thru many times before. Was travelling at minimum planning speed, watching chart plotter, chart in hand, had my eye on the bouy and BAM ! No hull damage. Within a minute of it happening a local tow boat idled over and asked " may we help you?" For a long time I was suspicious that someone (read towboat) had moved a bouy but may have been just my unwillingness to admit I screwed up. As you can see from the pics I still cruise those waters in my current Nor Tech. No problem since. It is just too beautiful to stay away.
btb

Ouch ,that hurts even to look at Kinda like watching eye surgery.... Bob you won the prize

You still running B-Max's???

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd say that was at least a $45K mistake...

Hopefully you had insurance.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: 42 Fountain Bravo 1 Broke in Half

...looks fine to me..always complaining...
Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Ouch ,that hurts even to look at Kinda like watching eye surgery.... Bob you won the prize

You still running B-Max's???

Rob
No B Max after that. When I had my current NT built I spec'ed out No. 6 drives. That boat originally had bravo's on and I blew up lots of those - kinda disposable like you know, then I went to XR's and chewed up a bunch of them, then went to B Max and killed all three of those on the rock as you can see. My driving is way too agressive for that light stuff and now the new boat with the no. 6's are standing up ok.
I think I hold some kind of record for number of blown drives in the 18 months I owned that boat but that is a whole other story ! LOL
Old 07-13-2006, 08:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I'd say that was at least a $45K mistake...

Hopefully you had insurance.
Close. $50K and insurance paid. Or maybe I should say I am still paying in the form of higher premiums.
Bob
Old 07-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
He said he was just commimg off plane and there was a bang The ramp where we were taking the boat out is a very narrow inlet ,I figure he was out of the channel.I bet it had to be concrete..

boatman22 did it take on water ?
Yea it did. i got it to a ramp and water got to the motors. gen set was under water. Got the motors out and apart with no damage. But now i have bigger motors to go back in.....
Old 07-13-2006, 10:05 PM
JnT
Registered

I almost hit a piling in my fish boat after a storm. The piling was floating just under the surface but still drifting. The barnacles and crud on the lower end kept it in a near upright position just inches under the surface.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet that the vibration from the bad prop did it. I've seen that happen before. I was suspecting that to be the case as i read the thread and confirmed my suspicion when Strip reported the prop problem.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Registered

We have a lot of dredging out in the big lake (MI) sometimes the pipes break free, are not marked will or just plain driver error but these 3ft dia. pipes that are 6"s thick can clear your transom in a heartbeat It happens every year at least once a year but can be often if one breaks free after a storm. One time a tool overloaded a barge with 8ft logs, over 1000 of them. His barge capsized in a storm and they all went into lake MI near Leland and Frankfort, a big patch. These were just floating and bobbing on the surface, like a deadhead. Warnings went out but it was impossible to avoid them. I am sure the damage from them were huge.

Last edited by MitchStellin; 07-14-2006 at 04:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 42 Fountain Bravo 1 Broke in Half

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.