Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is up with my drive? It seems to not want to trim in? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135261-what-up-my-drive-seems-not-want-trim.html)

DRIVEN1 07-15-2006 08:03 AM

What is up with my drive? It seems to not want to trim in?

I had to leave the boat in the water last night. I trimmed the drives out to trailer mode since I did not want to bottom out if the tides went out to much. I jump in the boat this morning and the two outside drives will not trim in? It is on a triple 525 47 Lightning with XR drives. Any idea what is up? It reminds me of my outboard boat days if you left the pin in after trailering and tried to lower the outboard. Thanks Mike

Pwrbt33 07-15-2006 08:07 AM

Re: What is up with my drive? It seems to not want to trim in?

Do you get any clicking noises when trying to lower them? Do the pumps run at all?

If not check the cucuit breakers under the back seat, make sure they are not popped. When you push down on them you sometimes have to wobble as you push. Give it a shot.

John S. :D

Formula Outlaw 07-15-2006 08:09 AM

Know this sounds stupid but also check fluid levels.....

DRIVEN1 07-15-2006 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
Do you get any clicking noises when trying to lower them? Do the pumps run at all?

If not check the cucuit breakers under the back seat, make sure they are not popped. When you push down on them you sometimes have to wobble as you push. Give it a shot.

John S. :D

Checked the circuit breakers and they are good. On one of the them the pump is running but the drive is not going anywhere? On the other side the pump makes no noise at all if I try to trim in but sounds normal if I try to trim out?

DRIVEN1 07-15-2006 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Know this sounds stupid but also check fluid levels.....

Fluids look normal.

Pwrbt33 07-15-2006 08:18 AM

Do you have a test light or screw driver to do a test with ? It sound electrical being the pump doesnt run.

MitchStellin 07-15-2006 08:19 AM

Yup, try the fluid first, then try this....put the drive all the way up on the trailer and let it sit either over night or for a few hours, if it falls it is a really bad seal in the rams, if not go to the next step, now put the drive 1/2 way up and let it sit the same time, if it drops you have a bad seal for sure. I had this happen and it would not drop if I put it all the way up but would drop, and also feel like it was trimming in, when not all the way up.. This is a very common problem and a rebuild kit will solve it, if you are mech inclined you can do it. I can't remember if up is preasure or down but if you are going to do this make sure you know, I think up was no preasure. It will self bleed the line for you, just run it up and down and refill the resv.

DRIVEN1 07-15-2006 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
Yup, try the fluid first, then try this....put the drive all the way up on the trailer and let it sit either over night or for a few hours, if it falls it is a really bad seal in the rams, if not go to the next step, now put the drive 1/2 way up and let it sit the same time, if it drops you have a bad seal for sure. I had this happen and it would not drop if I put it all the way up but would drop, and also feel like it was trimming in, when not all the way up.. This is a very common problem and a rebuild kit will solve it, if you are mech inclined you can do it. I can't remember if up is preasure or down but if you are going to do this make sure you know, I think up was no preasure. It will self bleed the line for you, just run it up and down and refill the resv.

No trailer. I need to be able to get the drives down to get the boat back to the lift so I can lift the boat back out of the water. :(

DRIVEN1 07-15-2006 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
Do you have a test light or screw driver to do a test with ? It sound electrical being the pump doesnt run.

The pump is running on one of them going both ways. The other one it is not running trimming in? Maybe the switch went bad on the one?

FeverMike 07-15-2006 09:41 AM

Mike if you need me to tow your boat in the water to your lift or elsewhere please call me. I'll be on my cell most of the day
813-335-2937