Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Am I dreaming or what? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135338-am-i-dreaming-what.html)

Semper Fi 07-18-2006 12:56 PM

Re: Am I dreaming or what?

Originally Posted by Spectre Man
Thank you. Finally, someone who understands what I have been driving at since day one, "WE ARE GETTING SCREWED BY THE MARINE INDUSTRY AS A WHOLE!" The tragedy is that we keep taking it on the chin and do nothing about it!

We, "the consumer" arer screwing ourselves too by paying the rediculous prices of boats. It is partially our fault.

thisistank 07-18-2006 01:19 PM

There does seem to be an abnormal amount of shady characters and horror stories in the marine industry. But I've never personally had a bad experience with a mechanic. The two mechanics I"ve ever used have been nothing but up-front, honest, reliable, and cool people that I actually have hung out with after meeting them through them working on my boats. Never had a bad experience with a boat company either, of course, I don't buy new boats...I don't buy new cars either. I don't like the 25-40% hit you take the instant it leaves the showroom. And I've dealt with many aftermarket sales personel (that also sell new) and have become good friends with them with great results on purchases.

Does anyone know the actual mark up on a Cigarette, Fountain, Donzi, Outterlimits, Skater, Nor-Tech, Spectre, etc. etc. I don't think they are "cheap" to build. Not defending the prices, I too wish boat prices were less. But you have to look at build percent/profit margin. Do you agree that Lamborghini's or Ferrari's are overpriced? They are limited edition super cars that are rare and hand built. Just like our beloved speed boats.

Semper Fi 07-18-2006 01:19 PM

I don't know why this situation has not come to light into the public "eye". For some reason this is being kept quiet, as far as the owner goes, he kept his moth shut and wanted the boat fixed---and that's what he got. :drink: He got a full credit for the engine and drive package originally purchased for the boat and moved onto bigger power.

I recieved a PM from Tres Martin today. He basically told me "his side" of the story. I want to make it clear that I was just telling the story of what I knew about the situation. My aplogies to Tres, it was in no way to harm him or his business. I actually met Tres at a OSO party a few years ago during the Miami show and he was a cool guy to talk with. His reputation from what I know is exceptional. What I will also say is that this is a public forum and maybe the people involved, Tres, Dragon, etc... can tell their side of the story. My ONLY intention was to say that the owner, EricT, is now a very happy customer with his boat and that's what really does matter. It's his boat and his money.

Here's a few things Tres had to say. (I will not "aire out" the rest he had to say.)
"Boat #1 goes well over 95 after I set it up. Boat #2 runs 98 with 525s. Ther are a lot more to this story that what people know. I have been watching OSO very closely with desapoitemnt, I take a lot of pride in what I do."
"Dragon # 2 is very elegantly rigged and becasue I got to do it my way, it is in Ocala and it runs well over 95MPH"
"boat #3 was started by us in Fort Lauderdale when it had to go to the interior shop and stayed there for 2 months. In that time we moved to Ocala. I told Craig to bring it to me so I could finish and I would also dial it in when it was finished. They said they did not want to bring it here and they would do it there and deliver it to the customer. "

birdog 07-18-2006 01:28 PM

I have been waiting for Tres to mention this...I think we all know the man knows his stuff.

Here's a few things he had to say. (I will not "aire out" the rest he had to say.)
"Boat #1 goes well over 95 after I set it up.Boat #2 runs 98 with 525s. Ther are a lot more to this story that what people know. I have been watching OSO very closely with desapoitemnt, I take a lot of pride in what I do."

thisistank 07-18-2006 01:39 PM

I think it basically boils down to this:

1) if you're in the market for a Dragon, I don't think this one instance is going to affect your desision after going and looking at them and reviewing their history so far.
2) We all know Tres has been around a long time and has a very successful career with performance boats (rigging and racing). This issue isn't going to hurt his business. Maybe a mistake was made, maybe there's more to the story. But I'm sure if you were looking for someone to rig your boat and Tres was an option and you brought this up he'd sit you down and explain it to you. Again, look at his history.
3) Eric did what was right for him. He went with Teague to rig it, it came out awesome. Do what is right for you.
4) Unless you think you're going to be directly affected by any of this. It's none of our business. And if it is, then call the above people and find out.
5) End of story.

That's how I see it.

Tres 07-18-2006 03:04 PM

I will only post this once, and I will not get into answering the drama. Erics boat was slated to show up at my shop to be rigged right after the 04 world championships, but it never showed. Everytime I was told it was coming, it never came.When it did, It had to leave again for reasons not to be said.When I received it someone else had started rigging it, so I started with cutting the transom where they wanted, and got motors in with some stuff run to the engines, then It had to go to the interior shop. It stayed there for several months, because it did not fit like boat #2. By then we relocated, so when it was ready they did not want to bring it up here to me. They had someone else to finish and they did their own testing and set up. I never saw the boat.I offered to help dial it in but they said they did it. Its easy to blame someone after they have left the area. Thats why I left south Fla. Too much BS.

thedonz 07-18-2006 03:18 PM

:eek: ...how's it going Tres...hope you and the fam are doing well

mike