Notices

What can we do ?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What can we do ?

This weekend while at the Dania race in F.L i was hanging out with one of our legend from our sport Bill Gazell ( great adventure ). He's been racing for over 40 yrs and has race with the best of the best Don, Charlie, Brownie just to name a few.. We were talking about how offshore racing use to be. How every single HUGE corporations wanted to be part and sponsor of the one sport we all love.. how the pit use to be full of fan, beautiful women, celebrity and so on..Now days the only fans we have our ourselves and that's it. I swear you talk to Bill and hear his storys you get goose bumps. How the late 70's till late 80's racing use to be...how much fun the pits use to be during the day and the party's were at night. Of course he had to talk about the most popular offshore race " Miami to Nassau"...I'm sure many of yall probably won't put much interest in this thread but then again many of you would be real interested in it. For years now some of you have been trying to plan a Miami to New York race and hasn't been able to make it happen..What do yall think we can do to make the best offshore race come back to reality..Give us young racers that experience and feeling that all "THE LEGENDS " have experience..I know for a fact it will be hard to organize something like this but with all the connections and pull we have in this website i actually think it could happen. I'm sure many of the big ballers in here would be up to making this race happen and experience it thenselves.. All you guys always talk about " back in the dayz " ( especially me) and how that used to be REAL OFFSHORE racing and so on. So let's make it happen. I just know that if we were to bring back the Miami to Nassau race it would be PACKED with fans from our sport and every other sport ..Everyone and their mothers use to attend this race..Hopefully this thread can stay on top and we can really make it happen

Mike
Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Registered

Default Re: What can we do ?

ttt
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the key word is safety, that is the reason why this is not going to happen.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Registered

so how was it done back then ?

mike
Old 07-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Nassau is very far
A race to Bimini & back would make more sense.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Hi Mike,

Why do you think people will show up to watch a race they can't see, when they don't show up for a race they can see? Modern fans don't know much about Offshore's history, they just like to watch a boat race.

I was in Dania last year, not a person knew about the race. Not one spectator in the pits except a nieghbor walking his dog. Wonder why?

If SBI did any type of publicity, then you'd have people in the pits. Just go to an OSS race and see all the people that come out to watch. People won't come to an event unless they learn about it in the papers or on the radio.

Finally, the offshore heyday is long over. Why? Because back in the 70s, the baddest boat on the bay was a 21' SeaRay with a 188 I/O so race boats were out of the ordinary and people always like seeing something special up close. Nowdays, people own personal boats that are wilder and faster than race boats.

Want to do Maimi to NY? Get a million dollar sponsor, the rest is easy.

This photo was taken last month at the OSS race in Puerto Rico. Someone told these people that there was a race in town. This was 7pm during the awards presentation.

You should really ask JC how you can help to publicize the SBI races. Does anyone do it now for SBI? Looks like if you want to make it better, your gonna need to do some of it yourself.
Attached Thumbnails What can we do ?-award-crowd.jpg  
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr
Nassau is very far
A race to Bimini & back would make more sense.

let's do that then just something that has the real meaning of OFFSHORE RACING...but by the looks of it noone is interested anymore because this thread has been seen 8o times and only 6 reply's ...i guess offshore now days is 5 yards from the shore line

mike
Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are a media driven culture these days. I've watch some of the TV time of some recent races and found it more than a little dull. No offense to the commentator, but there's only so much of him saying "team A battling Team B here" and then it's "team A and team B" over and over and over.

I work in the Music business and I've worked for some people that I really wonder how they ever became successful. They became successful because they were crammed down the throats of listeners. "ohh look at this band, they're cool, you should listen to them!! All the cool people do!!!" And then they bite.......Bingo
The same principle can be applied here. Show them how "cool" these boats are, the drama and yes........the wrecks. The "mob" will eat that kind of stuff for breakfast.

I'm not a racer so I can't even to begin to make the then and now rules comparisons. I grew up around unlimitied Hydros and watched the rules ruin that sport (in my mind at least) but people still come to the races. The drama still grabs them, although Bud's departure might change that.

I'm just a bloke with a boat who loves this stuff and would love to see this type of racing make a big comeback. I am also a bloke who happens to work in the music/entertainment business and knows how this medium works especially how it's changed over the years.

If it were me in charge with all the $$$, starting off with a good documentary (airs on Discovery) would help. It wets the appetite and gets people doing research, checking out boat types and teams. Next a network like ESPN2 with Hi Def capabilities and "loud" commentators could really get things going. Hi def cameras, hi def onboards, commentators with racing background to get technical etc.....Fast pace camera changes....make sure you get all classes in there, especially the smaller boats in rough waters.

I just think the presentation should be geared for people that really don't know much about these types of boats or boats in general. They just see fast things flying over water and that's cool to them.

Sorry this was long, but from my perspective, rules changes probably won't bring new fans by the boatload (no pun intended) but a new thought process on presenting it will. The sponsers need to kick it up a notch too. I eat more Pollo Tropical than anyone else I know. Is there a picture of the boat and a schedule???? NOOOO!!! How about a pic, synopsis and schedule all over some limited edition Bud products???

Maybe I have a clue, maybe I don't, but my heart's in the right place.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Mike
When your boat is ready call me, Bobby & I will meet you at Haulover we will bring the Sutphen & we will have our own ocean race. We can run 30 miles north & back to Everglades then to Shooters for the hot bod contest. It won't matter who wins. We will just have a great ocean run. Tell your friends who have speed boats to join us & I will tell mine. Bring your boat and life jackets & lets go Ocean racing. First one back to Everglades will win a prize.............Lunch ! Oh ya you can't go over 75 mph & we need a rough day.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thedonz
so how was it done back then ?

mike
back them the speed in the boat was way lest that is today, safety regulations was overlook,
for example you have races boat that are making a lot of speed, so you only can use helicopters for a rapid rescue, if someone have an accident you can deploy divers , but how are you going to transport the victims of that accident? in a boat? if someone is critical an you are 40 miles from shore the only possible way will be airlift that person, the only one with that capabilities is the cost guard and they can't tie a ship for the race purpose.race boats don't have insurance if the boat flip close to shore can be tow and lifted with the Crane , but in open ocean the odds are to sink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.