Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do you suppose he is new to boating? >

Do you suppose he is new to boating?

Notices

Do you suppose he is new to boating?

Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Do you suppose he is new to boating?

Fund - I understand where you're at with considering something other than a go-fast.
My wife keeps telling me "let's just get something small and easy to handle - just to get back on the water" and I keep squashing that idea. (without letting her know that the thought is actually in the back of my mind)
I was never in the "Big Leagues" either - 25' Baja, single 454.
Yet, I miss that WFO feeling in the worst way. I was one of those guy's that only know's three speeds - idle, no-wake, and WFO.
At one point, we had the Baja, a 26' Wellcraft Cruiser, and a 19' Wellcraft cuddy (all at the same time) - it was nice to have the option of how you felt like running on a given day - man, life has changed for me...

I say - go for the 311, or send me some pic's...
But, as you said, I'm back to the dilemma of having to buy a larger truck....
It never ends.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the 26 foot Wellcraft a 260aft cabin? I had an 86 for a brief moment in time. Kind of partnered with a friend when he was going through hard times and then let him buy me back out when it got better.

He still uses it. Might go beg a ride right now.
Heck.... I'll buy lunch.

I got an email from a guy who has my old 1979 Nova210xl. He is considering selling. I am holding back from buying it back. I had repowered it and it ran great.

But I am holding off. He took it up to Canada and there are a lot of used boats between here and there.

You might need to PM Dave.

Or I could call him on his cell.
I could be at his dock in 30 minutes.
How about you Colonel Sanders?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

RIDES WANTED:

Experienced skipper now available as passenger.

Key features include:
-I don't move about while you are docking.
-I don't push off of objects while you are departing from the dock.
-I have my own vest.
-I can tie up a boat.
-If you are drinking I can be designated driver.
-I have non-marking shoes and I am not afraid to take them off.
-I am buying lunch.
-I can move your rig while you tie up the boat at the ramp.
-I can tie up your boat while you move your rig.
-I don't bring food, especially chips.
-I know the west end of Lake Erie very well and can navigate.
-I have two AYC yacht club memberships and can get our entire party into any AYC yacht club.
-I am down to 220 lbs, so I am not as much ballast as I used to be.
-I have some gas money.
-Once in a while I am funny.
-I have a large capacity bladder. I can make it to the stop.

Ok Tim, let's see your ride begger resume.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Registered

yesterday, while splashing my boat, I saw my old boat being loaded. I had moved the 1930 emblem on it so I knew this was it. It was a 1997'ish Chaparral 1930 SS, nice, small, super little boat. Did everything well, Yahmaha outdrive, 350ci, nice stereo, 53 mph boat, all that stuff, it had a for sales sign in the window....

As it was being loaded I ask if it had the Yamaha drive, he said yes, and I mentioned it used to be mine. He said the owner took it out once, his wife got beat up and scared, and never took it out again. The driver was a friend who was just using it.

When I sold it I told them our lake is fine for a boat that size except on heavy weekends, and then you want to stay i the bays, apparently the guy took it out on memorial day, to the main part of the lake with the house boats and 50' cruisers and got the daylight beat out of him... he should have listened, that is the exact reason I sold it... I got the daylight beat out of me one weekend and two weeks later bought a bigger one...

Anyway, just a human interest story that kind of went along with the thread...
Old 07-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All great info Dean I was just looking at this 5 mins ago for the river, what a coincidence

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/2/85072302.htm
Old 07-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
ride begger resume.
Hilarious.

Good stuff, Fund!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
RIDES WANTED:

Experienced skipper now available as passenger.

Key features include:
-I don't move about while you are docking.
-I don't push off of objects while you are departing from the dock.
-I have my own vest.
-I can tie up a boat.
-If you are drinking I can be designated driver.
-I have non-marking shoes and I am not afraid to take them off.
-I am buying lunch.
-I can move your rig while you tie up the boat at the ramp.
-I can tie up your boat while you move your rig.
-I don't bring food, especially chips.
-I know the west end of Lake Erie very well and can navigate.
-I have two AYC yacht club memberships and can get our entire party into any AYC yacht club.
-I am down to 220 lbs, so I am not as much ballast as I used to be.
-I have some gas money.
-Once in a while I am funny.
-I have a large capacity bladder. I can make it to the stop.

Ok Tim, let's see your ride begger resume.
you forgot this...answers to the name Gilligan or little buddy and has no problem calling you skipper
Old 07-22-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You were 100% correct in your actions. The "not many of us left.." comment was at best some nebulous attempt at humor but I would have also taken it as a shot- a cheap shot at that.

You offer something for sale and you don't lie about it. You don't sell it with known but undisclosed defects of significance. Trust me, St. Peter won't be bringing this one up. Anyone that does is WAY out of line.

Now, for a new boat! How 'bout a nice Apache? I'll throw in all the parts AND the tools. Couple of afternoons and you'll be on the water.... trust me
Old 07-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You were 100% correct in your actions. The "not many of us left.." comment was at best some nebulous attempt at humor but I would have also taken it as a shot- a cheap shot at that.

You offer something for sale and you don't lie about it. You don't sell it with known but undisclosed defects of significance. Trust me, St. Peter won't be bringing this one up. Anyone that does is WAY out of line.

Now, for a new boat! How 'bout a nice Apache? I'll throw in all the parts AND the tools. Couple of afternoons and you'll be on the water.... trust me
I can buy a big ole Apache, that would make me a middle boater and I would have to buy a huge truck.

I didn't second guess myself too long. I think that maybe I sounded a little smug before the rest of the story came out.
Didn't mean to. The guy was nice enough. It was a nice break from getting a bunch of crap about the OMCs actually. They do work. Before I bought it I checked with Dubberts in Port Clinton and found out that I could make a nice deal trading those Cobras in for brand new Volvos and the would be come bi-directional (they spin either way I am told) and they would use the same transom assembly cut-out because of the Volvo/OMC joint venture. I like the Volvos in normal hp applications because they shift so smoothly. But the Cobras worked fine and you are never gonna blow one up with a small block.

I could get parts 2 miles from my work at the Chris Craft dealer.

The OMC electronic shift assist was funky... and I can't say that I'll miss that.
I haven't heard from him. I assume he is boating.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:20 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Congrats on seling the boat. As a first time boater (okay the 12 foot inflatable with electric trolling motor that we happily island camped with for years, had a 000000 annual operating budget, hence does not count), I bought my Sonic with twin right rotating Alpha drives....in 2000 used Sonics sold within days of being listed!!!!! This one was the only one I could get, and since I was not on OFFSHOREONLY, I did not realize alphas were &%$# drives. Ended up ripping them out and replacing with Bravos. Junked the carb motors too, replaced with Scorpions. Replaced the gas tanks and just about everything else. Hey, could have just bought a new boat to begin with. <gg>

Last edited by CBR; 07-23-2006 at 05:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you suppose he is new to boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.