Notices

HTM Mishap

Old 02-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like all the media articles have some mention of the 35 mph speed limit.

A fellow boater up here lost his wife in a tragic accident a while ago. The reporter did not even investigate enough to find out that the deceased was the wife of the driver, claimed the driver was speeding,(no speed limit where this occured and he was only going 65mph), and also had to nail down his ignorance by stating that none of the occupants were wearing seatbelts. What ever happened to investigative journalism?
Old 02-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Registered

Just another quick thought. I dont know if anyone knows what the future of HTM as a business is going to be, but if they continue on (I hope they do) there are going to be interested parties that want to know what happend.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
Just to let you guys know, investigations like this can take a loooooong time. Don't be expecting any type of answers any time soon.

And just a comment on the 35 MPH speed limit on castaic lake. It's NEVER enforced. Don't know how many of you have ever been to that lake, but it's also a "dry" lake i.e. no alcohol. Yea right!! they party in the back narrows every weekend. And heres a big suprise about that lake. You're not supposed to swim in it!! You'd never know it though by all the people wake boarding skiing and generally swiming in the lake. Talked to the life gaurds direct on that. They have just never enforced it.

So I think the speed limit thing is really a mute point except it would be nice to know how fast they were traveling just out of curiosity.

Tank
Old 02-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Uncle Toys

supercrash - Personally, I believe its critical we find out what happened. I understand, like Tank says, its going to take a long time. But I can only think of one thing more tragic than the accident - that's if one of us goes out and dies for the same reason - needlessly!

I will be patient and wait. I want to show the proper respect for the grieving families, but I am very eager to find out what actually happen so I don't end up doing the same thing. For example, do you any of you know what happens at speed if one of your engines (or drives) quits? I was thinking I am going to go out and start at a slow speed and turn off one engine to see what happens. Maybe start at only 35 mph and work up in 5 mph increments? If I am doing 90 mph and loose an engine, how much time do I have to react before I am out of control?

Old 02-04-2002, 04:33 PM
supercrash

Hey uncle...leave the investigation to the pros..I see what your saying about safety..and we do need to hear somethings..But if it comes back that they were speeding at more than double the limit and they had no vests and no seats in the boat..and put other people in danger then you can see how that might needlessly tarnish their memories...But Yes there are safety issues at stake that need to be answered..

Old 02-04-2002, 04:34 PM
Registered

Uncle Toys,
I think the real problem is if a prop were to lock up. Sieze the motor or break a drive in a way that the prop locks and drags, no free spin.
A member of NJPPC and OSO poster broke a drive in a single engine V. I would think he was doing low to mid 80's and said it was very squirly and an unsettleing expierience. Maybe he will tell us about it..
I would think in a cat, where the engines are spread wide apart, and the boat having less water contact at speed....well many factor could amplify the result.
Be careful testing yours, I would want to know the same if I had one.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:37 PM
Registered

Tank-O-Ramma

I've been stopped on that lake for speeding, twice. Not ticketed, but stopped and asked if I knew what the limit was. I said, yep ....it's 35. And how fast were you going? I told him 55. He goes, well, that's faster isn't it......slow it down a little.

Old 02-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Registered

My Engineering mind has a few gears turning. And being a cat owner I know the dangers involved with going fast, not as fast as this boat was capable of, but...

In thinking about the forces involved, a motor is mounted high on the stringers, which are wood and glass covered and the motors center of gravity is fairly high, The motor mounts are attached at the upper portion of the stringers, or the weakest point of the stringer. Now in a turn, a cat turns flat, and inertia want to make everything go straight, and if the boat skipped, the motors weight could have snapped the stringer, and sent it out the side of the boat, also causing a loss of power suddenly to one of the props, further compounding the problems, I've skipped my cat around a corner, it jars you prettty hard, and it's possible the stringer let loose, It seems entirely possible, for a senario like this to be possible. Horrible tragety, and my condolences go out to all the families and friends involved. The physics of a v-hull leaning into a turn keep the jar of the boat vs. the weight of the motor headed in a downward direction, there has to be people with inboard cats experiencing striger problems similar, anyone know of anything similar, or anyhting about how the motors were mounted in the htm? I'm as curious as the rest of you to see what the investigators may find. Sorry to speculate, but I wanted to see if anyone else was thinking along these lines.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: advantage_ROB ]
Old 02-04-2002, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uncle Toys,

While I think it is important to know what happens to a boat when one motor shuts down at speed, etc, I would advise against your proposed "test". Especially in a catamaran. Having owned one and experiencing slight loss of power in one engine, I can tell you that it WILL cause the boat to become extremely unsettled and may cause it to hook in extreme cases.

My Shadow was not all that fast and I have been on several Skaters while testing and in all cases and at all speeds this id a dangerous situation to be in.

My advice, ask the pros, don't try it on your own...especially with others in the boat or on semi crowded lake, etc.

Sean
Old 02-04-2002, 05:27 PM
HavasuCat

I don't know if would be the same on twin I/0's, but I lost a gearcase on my last boat which was rigged with twin 2.5's. The boat was a DCB Mach 26 and we were running about 90 mph when it happened. The boat, probably because of the dual ram full hydraulic steering, continiued to track straight. I was able to keep the boat on plane with the other motor and drive it back to the marina. Just my experience, I know all boats are different.

Quick Reply: HTM Mishap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.