Notices

Ocean Running Techniques

Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ocean Running Techniques

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
i like to take rough seas at a 3/4 angle, trimmed down. lengthens out the back of the wave and time in the "Valley" to get some speed.
LostinBoston
I think the most exciting part of offshore boating are the rare times when 3-5' swells are well defined and seperated which allow long bursts of speed through the "valleys" between the waves. If the wind and angle is right, you could surf these valleys for miles!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
I just got tired of getting thrown around and beat up in the big water. I don't care what boat you're in. If you're running high speeds the little boats are going to get tossed around a lot more than something with a little more weight behind it.
Agreed!
But with my lil' Baja, I got a BOUNCE METER absolutely free!
Any time the going gets a bit too rough, or the speed envelope gets a bit too aggressive, my bounce meter lets me know right away.

I've been married to my bounce meter for almost 41 years .....
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered

I must say. I was very impressed with the way my Baja handled the big water. Of course it could be I was too stupid to know better. But even back then I rode in my friends 38 Scarab, Cafe Racer, 36 Nordic, 38 Formula and some others on a fairly reglar basis.

I just got tired of getting thrown around and beat up in the big water. I don't care what boat you're in. If you're running high speeds the little boats are going to get tossed around a lot more than something with a little more weight behind it.

So when it was time to step up. I knew I wanted a wave crusher. We started looking at Cafe Racers but ended up with the gun.

You know how nasty the water around here can get. There's small craft warnings on a bi-weekly baisis. It all just comes down to a comfort leval. Like when we turned around in the Tiger. It's not that the boat couldn't take it. It's just getting wet with water/wind coming over the bow and going down into holes you can't see any land from turns from fun boating to work. Not to mention the beating you take when slamming into the next swell. This is supposed to be a pleasure sport, not a rally race.
I used a Bayliner 20' out of CI for about 3 years and loved it. Went to the islands and all. When I moved up to the Baja, as you know, it was like night and day. I figure a few more years before this boat runs its course, and then the big decision comes. Go with what you did (bigger offshore), or go slip a 30-35' Tollycraft Flybridge and relax at my waterfront condo. I am only 32, but have 2 kids, so that sounds appealing, especially with all the toys that goes with it (kayaks, dinghis, and Jet Skis.)

Either way, for us it is CI. My father used to slip a boat in MDR, and that world is so different. I like the rural feel of CI, plus the fact that you never have to wait in line for ANYTHING, no matter the season.

Look forward to seeing you out there in a few weeks

Chris
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61
LostinBoston
I think the most exciting part of offshore boating are the rare times when 3-5' swells are well defined and seperated which allow long bursts of speed through the "valleys" between the waves. If the wind and angle is right, you could surf these valleys for miles!
I know what ya mean! Been out on days where at cruise speed I pick up 2-3 mph on the GPS riding down the trough of the wave, loose 2-3 mph going up the back.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chrisf
go slip a 30-35' Tollycraft Flybridge and relax at my waterfront condo. I am only 32, but have 2 kids, so that sounds appealing, especially with all the toys that goes with it (kayaks, dinghis, and Jet Skis.)
I've been thinking on and off the best least expensive way to live on the water would be with a 50' or so early eighties
Hatteras, like this one:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-10983.html

Being single you can think crazy thoughts and with a soon to be full travel schedule, I would seldom use a house, waste when you are never living in it. For a family a Tollycraft or something sim would be a great way to have a water front vaction place that can switch locations with a turn of the key.........

Originally Posted by Panther
I know what ya mean! Been out on days where at cruise speed I pick up 2-3 mph on the GPS riding down the trough of the wave, loose 2-3 mph going up the back.
To really gain going up the back hit the sticks at the top and really fly.

Good topic, one of my fav. destinations for multiple activities, windsurfing, even fishing, playing in the rough stuff; “Cape Disappointment” has the U.S Coast Guards lifeboat in the surf environment training school there for a reason!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zudnic
..... To really gain going up the back hit the sticks at the top and really fly.
Found that out the "hard way" my first time out!
Remember, as we get older, we become like the housing market.
All we want is a "soft landing" .....

Last edited by StillHaulin@63; 07-25-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 2,830 Likes on 950 Posts

"bounce meter"...That's good! Congrats on the long and healthy marriage. I say healthy, cause if she let your crazy azz buy a sport boat at 61, I can see why you're still with her!

Chris,

I've lived on Hollywood beach almost my whole life. boated out of C.I. Harbor since I was 8! Worked for the Scarab dealer cleaning and fueling boats when I was 12. I too love it here and always have culture shock when going to Marina Del Rey, Huntington, Newport or Long Beach. In all the years of running through hull non-muffled exhaust, I've only been talked to about it one time. And that was because my friend that kept his Tiger on the lift in one of the channels had a grumpy neighbor. Problem solved though. He just bought the T/S Gun.

By the way, if you guys want to see the difference in running tab/wet and running the boat trimmed up and loose/dry. You should watch that Apache video that was up yesterday. I think they took it down though. But if you get a chance watch it. The first boat (Warpath) is running in some big water with tabs down pushing that huge 24% V into the oncoming swell. The second boat (Team Apache) is running loose (most likely trying to get more speed) and landing transom first a lot. That's why that deep V is there, to push through the rough stuff! Tabs down and punch it!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 2,830 Likes on 950 Posts

[QUOTE=ratman]damn bro, did you really say that? wussie
QUOTE]

fUUUUUU*CK YOU!

I don't know if you can tell. But in that picture that I posted of the rough water. That light mast is 30' high. The white water is as high as it. At time the water fully ingulfed the light mast. That is not fun to boat in. Now if you look at the picture where I'm running in front of the break wall, look out past the break wall and look at the water. White caps with 4-6's that day. that was a fun day to run. Except the holes in between were HUGE! Threw some passengers to the floor a couple of times. Felt like I was sky diving with the boat!!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61
Agreed!
But with my lil' Baja, I got a BOUNCE METER absolutely free!
Any time the going gets a bit too rough, or the speed envelope gets a bit too aggressive, my bounce meter lets me know right away.

I've been married to my bounce meter for almost 41 years .....

I took a friend and his " bounce meter" on a poker run! Perfect seas for some nice hang time off the swells. Everyone was havin a blast except her so I was asked to go easy for the rest of the day. We made the most of it but I wont make that mistake ever again!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

By the way, if you guys want to see the difference in running tab/wet and running the boat trimmed up and loose/dry. You should watch that Apache video that was up yesterday. I think they took it down though. But if you get a chance watch it. The first boat (Warpath) is running in some big water with tabs down pushing that huge 24% V into the oncoming swell. The second boat (Team Apache) is running loose (most likely trying to get more speed) and landing transom first a lot. That's why that deep V is there, to push through the rough stuff! Tabs down and punch it!
Just a little tab and that trip/stuff would have never happened.

Quick Reply: Ocean Running Techniques

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.