Notices

Ocean Running Techniques

Old 07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ocean Running Techniques

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61
I believe that the angle of attack, the boats direction as compared to the prevailing wind and swells, probably has the most influence in determining a "sweet spot" when running offshore.

It seems that once a comfortable trim has been established for your cruising speed, the angle of attack by itself can change the characteristics of the run. Even when confronted by a "washing machine" chop, this angle seems to determine the severity of the ride.
In ocean with nice spaced rollers, or even closer together "chop" angle of attack is more controlable because it's more how you stear to hit that wave, sweet spot is consistant over washing machine that constantly changes your steering pattern and spot.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 2,943 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
The same Whaler in fairly good rough stuff, was pretty dang solid and predictable. It liked to plow into and smash most waves, it was a better ride to lift the bow up a little and even give a little throttle over the top, gave her a bit of forward momentum and smoother landings, as opposed to smash wave lift the bow and come straight down butt first...... Take 6 roller's on the ocean over smaller washing machine on a lake any-day of the week.
Nothing floats (in the air) and lands like a whaler. There is no other feeling like it in a boat. I absolutely love 'em. the 22 (Outrage if I'm not istaken) is the best boat in their line up. IMHO.

Now, in regards to sloppy water and swell. the problem with Channel Islands area is there is both. and when it gets to be both it's NASTY! Again, look at the first picture I posted on this thread. Confused water with 6' swells. I'll pass. It's the little side waves that slam directly on the flat spot of the V near the transom when you land that rattles your bones.

I agree to a certain extent. I would rather have a large swell in the ocean than confused water on a lake in my Baja. In the Cig it just punches through until it's small craft warning time....then I call no joy.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by noboat
Looks like it's still there to me. just watched it again!
Where? I wanted to show it to a friend.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Where? I wanted to show it to a friend.
Here you go. I love the launch 48 seconds into it. Nice!

Apache Vid
Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Threw some passengers to the floor a couple of times. Felt like I was sky diving with the boat!!
now your talkin
Old 07-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Registered

An inexpensive way to learn the basics would be to buy the book Fast Powerboat Seamanship : The Complete Guide to Boat Handling, Navigation, and Safety You can get a used copy for about 6 bucks.

After you read it and want to learn more from a Pro, take Tres Martins course, you'll never regret it and have a great time doing it.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered

Apache Vid
WOW!
Now I understand how you can stuff it!
Correct me if I'm wrong ..... but it seems that if you launch at an angle which allows the drive to return to the water first, it's impact, and resulting drag will virtually pull the nose down hard into the water.

It make sense that trimming down will make this type of launch less probable, but where is the balance point?
In average 2-4' seas, how much of the hull should be in the water to achieve a reasonable balance?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=StillHaulin@61It make sense that trimming down will make this type of launch less probable, but where is the balance point?[/QUOTE]

Every hull is different, so you have to find it. Mine is right before the hull really loosens up for top speed. It's hard to describe but you can kind of feel it slightly holding you back and keeping the boat more level. This obviously scrubs speed but it also makes the boat stay level. Like I said, it's about neutral trim and slightly negative tab.

Unfortunately the only way to find the "edge" is to go past it a few times. So get some passengers that don't scare easily!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Registered

Apache Vid
Perfect, thank you.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Registered

..... Like I said, it's about neutral trim and slightly negative tab.

Unfortunately the only way to find the "edge" is to go past it a few times. So get some passengers that don't scare easily!
I wonder how a 23' hull would react with a slightly negative tab, but a slightly positive trim. Which device would dominate, the trim tabs or the outdrive?

Seas permitting, I'll make a solo run on Saturday to try and find this elusive "edge". Obviously, I'll keep my speed down during this learning curve, but is there any kind of warning sign before going OVER this edge?

Quick Reply: Ocean Running Techniques

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.