Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Top Gun mooring cover Fabric ???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136047-top-gun-mooring-cover-fabric.html)

ZP\'d 07-25-2006 11:43 AM

Top Gun mooring cover Fabric ????

Lady I'm thinking of using to have a full mooring cover made with side skirts uses this fabric. Looking for real life experince not hear say.. :D
Anyone had their Mooring Cover made of this stuff?
It hold up well? Fade much? Totally water proof?
Seem to breath o.k. ?

comp 07-25-2006 01:41 PM

Re: Top Gun mooring cover Fabric ????

I use sunbrella material for our topgun
I have always used this material for my covers.

O.C.Barry 07-26-2006 08:22 AM

I can't say that Sunbrella won't fade, but it's still my favorite. It's soft, light, and tough. The original Sunbrella on our old Top Gun lasted 8 years before we had to replace it, and that was more because it wouldn't fit over the blower scoops. it was faded but still functional.

ZP\'d 07-26-2006 08:39 AM

Top Gun is the name of the FABRIC the lady uses to make the mooring cover.... :drink: Supposed to be Waterproff and more durable vs the Sunbrella repellent fabric.

Me no have no Top Gun Boat... :D

BillR 07-26-2006 10:25 AM

You MUST talk with John at Sunrise Uph
www.sunriseuph.com
He also an OSO member and has really low prices and his work is the best I've seen yet! He made a custom cover for my TG. It is out of a new material (Triton??) but it is VERY lite (20 lbs) esp for a 38' boat and 100% waterproof. Just call him and ask what he made my cover out of.

lakeluvr 07-27-2006 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by BillR
You MUST talk with John at Sunrise Uph
www.sunriseuph.com
He also an OSO member and has really low prices and his work is the best I've seen yet! He made a custom cover for my TG. It is out of a new material (Triton??) but it is VERY lite (20 lbs) esp for a 38' boat and 100% waterproof. Just call him and ask what he made my cover out of.

Thanks for the nice comment Bill, glad you like the cover and other things I've done for you for that matter.

Here's the deal. Depending on how long a boat is makes a difference in what I recommend. For anything over about 32 feet, especially a 38 footer, I recommend Triton. It weighs 6 oz. per sq. yard. Top Gun weighs 11 oz. per sq. yard. They are somewhat different in makeup. Triton is a polyester with a vinyl coating on it, Top Gun is an inpregnated polyester, and is supposedly breathable like Sunbrella. But I prefer to use a vent at the mooring pole on mooring covers. Hope this helps.
John

ZP\'d 07-27-2006 08:56 AM

Thanks!

I'll be giving you a call John..

michigan troll 07-27-2006 11:50 AM

Top Gun material and Sunbrella are very similar. They use the same treatment but different process.
Top Gun is treated after the material is woven = more water repellent and a little less breathable and heavier.
Sumbrella is treated threads and then woven into material = not quite as water repellent more breathable and lighter.

sun 304 07-28-2006 06:02 AM

Covers need to breathe.... :p

GLH 07-28-2006 07:35 AM

Sunbrella is the way.

Anything more water repellent won't let your interior breath enough and mold will develop.