Notices

1000 Islands Poker Run

Old 07-25-2006, 09:26 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1000 Islands Poker Run

I have a question: for those of you have made the run in the past could some-one give the straight 411 on what you need to get your boat+trailer+truck+people across the border into Canada and back to the USA??? We are making the run for the 1st time and have a group leaving from Chicago (3 Boats) and want to make sure there are no problems thru customs ect. Anybody that can help would be appreciated....also anybody else from the midwest going and want to meet up with us for the drive????......BZ
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1000 Islands Poker Run

I have been across alot. have all the paper work for the boat/truck trailer ect. you may need birth certificates for everyone . if you have kids make sure you have certifs for them. But sometimes they just ask you where you are going and what you are doing and how long. getting in is no problem getting out is where the s##t starts. depends on where you cross. I doit at 1000 Islands bridge they know whats going on that week end and if you are honest and not a smart ass you won't have any problems. just bring all the paper work just in case. you will love it there.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

or talk to bill taylor from poker runs america a lot of boats dunk in Alexandrea bay NY and just cruse over an all you have to do is when you get t the docks in canada pick up the phone and call customs and give name and ss# and DL# and do the same on the way out. very easy.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bojoe2
or talk to bill taylor from poker runs america a lot of boats dunk in Alexandrea bay NY and just cruse over an all you have to do is when you get t the docks in canada pick up the phone and call customs and give name and ss# and DL# and do the same on the way out. very easy.
ya what he said
Old 07-25-2006, 10:45 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I second that method,
Old 07-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 365 Likes on 244 Posts

move in canada! We need good guys like you!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only problem there is that we will have trucks full of gear that I think we will need durring the week-end???? BZ
Old 07-26-2006, 08:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Bob,

Like Cosmic said just be sure to have your documents in order for your boat, truck, trailer and all persons and it will be real straight forward. Photo ID plus either birth certificate or passport. Boats like ours are crossing at Detroit and Port Huron all the time. Should be no problem at all.
Will see you there. It is a great run.
Bob
Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, you really shouldn't have any problems. I have hauled back and forth across the border for various poker runs several times with no problems. Have your personal ID, your truck and trailer ownership and boat registration papers handy. Don't be a smartazz and only answer questions asked of you. NEVER volunteer information, according to a customs friend of mine, it makes you look suspicious.

Now the important stuff.

If asked whether your boat is equipped with mufflers, SAY YES. Mufflers are the law in Canada now.

DWI, DUI, BWI, BUI, any narcotic convictions or any serious criminal record will get you turned back at the border.

Carrying a gun will get you a quick trip to the pokey so DO NOT COME to Canada packin.

The worst case scenario I have encountered was being asked 20 questions about the boat, how big, how many hp, how fast etc. When I expressed concern to the US customs guy that while I was enjoying our conversation, there were many many cars waiting behind me. He laughed and said," they'll wait".

The 1000 islands is truely a beautiful boating experience and I am sure you will enjoy it.

If you have any further questions, fee free to ask away.