Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why the powerboat industry is sinking. >

Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Notices

Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

You can actually own a go fast and not have the throttle pinned all the time..it aint easy, but weve managed to cut our fuel bill way down.. Pack more samiches, cold ones , change of clothes etc.. We take a nice run to our favorite spot then sit all day, swim , snorkle, abuse the liver etc.. Then take a nice cruise home. The boat stays in so no gas for the truck. Only accesory i put on her this year was one new starter. Id say my total boating expense for the year so far is around $2500 .. So far I can deal.
The sky realy isnt falling and if it does who cares about money, its only paper
Old 07-28-2006, 12:13 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
It is not all doom and gloom out there.
Amen.

The media can whip up the sheeps in a frenzy...
Old 07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I use about 2000 gallons a year for the boat so gas at $6 a gallon would be $6,000 more a year from $3 a gallon...

Adding insurance, docking, mechanical fixes, mechanical maintenance, Trick Marine, trailer maintenance, dually expense, food, liquid refreshments, mufflers and whatever else is involved in boating $6k is not a deal-breaker...

If you've experienced it you know it's worth every penny...
http://media.putfile.com/Cigarette-12
...if not wait till you do, it brings out the entrepreneurship in you!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perf boaters shouldn't complain about gas prices anyway, considering their mass consumption of gas for recreational purposes increases the demand, the price, and our dependence on foreign oil.

Would be hypocritical.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
Perf boaters shouldn't complain about gas prices anyway, considering their mass consumption of gas for recreational purposes increases the demand, the price, and our dependence on foreign oil.

Would be hypocritical.
You should see the Exxon earns $10.36 billion from Apr-Jun thread!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

I heard this morning on the radio that the Oil companies reported $10 billion in 3rd qtr profits...boat manufacturers might want to add these guys to their mailing list These guys can buy'em and fuel'em

What will they do when Duffy makes a 100mph boat

Jimbo
Old 07-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must travel in a very well-off group.
"most of us" in this country have slipped from middle class to lower middle class in the last decade.
Heck, I live in Michigan. You would think I'd be beating my drum and marching right next to you. Things are not as good as they were 7-10 years ago. Does that mean these times are bad or does it just mean that those times were exceptional? I'm only 35 years old. My life as a working adult consists of the last 14 years. The first half was easy, the last half has taken more brains, more work and sacrifice. I am not fearful of a depression nor do I feel we will every see a period quite like the 90s. I have learned to deal with it. This country wasn't built on a foundation of fear. What the media would like us to believe is not necessarily what is actually going on.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BGIII
Heck, I live in Michigan. You would think I'd be beating my drum and marching right next to you. Things are not as good as they were 7-10 years ago. Does that mean these times are bad or does it just mean that those times were exceptional? I'm only 35 years old. My life as a working adult consists of the last 14 years. The first half was easy, the last half has taken more brains, more work and sacrifice. I am not fearful of a depression nor do I feel we will every see a period quite like the 90s. I have learned to deal with it. This country wasn't built on a foundation of fear. What the media would like us to believe is not necessarily what is actually going on.
I'm 40. Perhaps that 5 extra years of perspective is the difference. It makes me a late baby boomer and you a gen x'r.

I'm not beating a drum or marching.

I'm just not someone who can rationalize 12 grand a year on boat gas alone and be glad about it.

I'm not fearful of a depression either. I learned from my parents (who DID live through a depression... I'm the youngest) that tough times bring out the best in tough people.

My theory that the power boat industry is in it's waning days is not based on fear. It's based on observations.

Again... it's great that some of you have the kind of disposable income that allows you to shrug off the crazy price of gas and the rapid depreciation of your asset.
Congrats.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You save money or reduce your loss on the purchase side of a depreciating asset, not the sale side. I would be the second one out behind you if I had to spend 12k on fuel in a year, believe me.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 40. Perhaps that 5 extra years of perspective is the difference. It makes me a late baby boomer and you a gen x'r.

I'm not beating a drum or marching.

I'm just not someone who can rationalize 12 grand a year on boat gas alone and be glad about it.

I'm not fearful of a depression either. I learned from my parents (who DID live through a depression... I'm the youngest) that tough times bring out the best in tough people.

My theory that the power boat industry is in it's waning days is not based on fear. It's based on observations.

Again... it's great that some of you have the kind of disposable income that allows you to shrug off the crazy price of gas and the rapid depreciation of your asset.
Congrats.

I agree totally with what you posted. Although I do think the $12K for fuel is a little high, but nevertheless, it's still alot of money for fuel even if it's $6K.

Quick Reply: Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.