Notices

Magoon Gill Bontoft

Old 08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Magoon Gill Bontoft

Originally Posted by 36widebody
Does any of you know how to get hold of some pics from the 72-73 period, or if Dr. Bob Magoon is still alive and can be reched by e-mail.

Top Banana will have what you are looking for - check with him next week as he is out of town.

Yes - Bob Magoon is still alive and lives in Colorado. Hot Boat or Extreme Boats did an article on him about a year or so ago - maybe check with them for contact info.?? I think it is great that you are restoring this boat - looking forward to seeing the finished pictures...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have anything to add, but I want to help keep the topic alive and TTT

I also think it is cool about the restoration project and the info and pictures on the old race boat. I also love the fact that we have such a International board. Welcome to you guys, please visit and post often, you class up the joint
Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hallo 36Widebody!
I have some pics of the Aeromarine III and when I come back in Vilnius I will post you.
Other pics you can find in the John Crouse photo library in Searace website. One is in the Graham Stevens library in Boatmad website. Others pics are in NJPPC website in the Patnaude Offshore Library(exp.one in the cover magazine link).
I love that you will restore one of the most famous 36' of the Cigarette History. That Karl Kiekhaefer(the real owner of that boat) give to Bob Magoon at the end of the triumphant APBA season of the "Doc".
Good Luck!

p.s. Please don't cut,lengten,shorten....the boat!
Left it remain a real,original,beautiful Cig 36'!

Last edited by Black Tornado; 08-17-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromarine 3

Thanks to all for support and information so far!
Yes I found the pics on Stewens site and also one nice shot at HORBA, they are all super. I will look in the suggested web-sides for more info.What I am looking for is some good shots from the side and the dashboard in order to fabricate decals/emblems etc and also how to get hold of the paint-scheme,color codes etc.

No we will not cut/shorten/lengthen the body, which is in super shape not seeing water in more than 20 years.

Some other shots from the hull inside and from a cower magazine, we will keep you posted with newer pics during the winter,

My personal e-mail is: [email protected] if someone has high quality pictures or information of the boat.

regards Joern
Attached Thumbnails Magoon Gill Bontoft-ph-mo407.jpg   Magoon Gill Bontoft-p1010015.jpg   Magoon Gill Bontoft-aeromarine-3-_1972_.jpg  

Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow this is turning into a very exciting thread! I will try and dig up some old shots and post them here. Long live the cig 36 wide body! The most beautiful boat ever designed - from any angle they are stunning.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Registered

Charles Gill calls us every now and then, next time he calls I will ask if he has any pictures that I could scan, I think is will be about at Cowes over the race weekend.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I know it's not the Magoon livery, but you have to admit that as I Like It Too, it was a good looking boat..........this shot courtesy of Graham's Offshore Library (Non racing shots) over on Boatmad.
Attached Thumbnails Magoon Gill Bontoft-i-like-too-_76.jpg  
Old 08-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered

Yes I agree, I like It too is a beautiful piece, but restoring it as Aeromarine 3 would in my opinion be the right thing to do.

Cougar 46, if you do speak to Gill , ask if I can call him or e-mail him, I am missing some of the story from England as well along with some paperwork.

You guys are a true knowledge base, impressive !!

reg Joern
Old 08-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I Like It Too was very nice and winner of 1976's CTC,but before was the "Kiekhaefer Aeromarine III"!
Together Dry Martini was the two 36' most winning!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

Default Aeromarine 3

The amazing story on Aeromarine 3 continue:
Just spoke to the guy who bought the original Kiekhaefer engines in 1984 from England.
He still have the engines with all accessories including fuel injection, front geardrives for the waterpump and generator , headers with extension, electric harness, crash-boxes etc in his garage only 50 km away from me in southern Norway. He is more than willing to sell the lot for this restoration project, and asap I will post pictures of them on this site.

Now I am only missing the original instrumentation (or gauges from the correct time-era) plus the engine covers with 4 scopes. Anybody out there who can help ?

And I am still searching desperately for pics of the dashboard layout and from the engine compartment. Have found some from Dry Martini,Fino etc but they are not sharp enough.

Best regards Joern

Quick Reply: Magoon Gill Bontoft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.