Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   newbee to powerboating looking for advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/136442-newbee-powerboating-looking-advice.html)

brdman 07-29-2006 10:54 PM

newbee to powerboating looking for advice

I have been checking this forum out for a little while now and I must say you all are just great people. Its really cool to know that you all stick together and share advice and stories and lend a helping hand where you can. So I hope I can get some direction with my question. I am new to the powerboating scene, so new I dont have a boat yet. I will be a first time buyer soon, I just dont know where to start, I want something I can handle, but I also like speed, I am working with a 60-70k budget to get into my first ride. Any ideas as to what would be a good boat to start with to get my feet wet.. I was thinking about a 25' Baja Outlaw, but there are so many others out their... Please feel free to comment....

LostinBoston 07-29-2006 11:00 PM

Re: newbee to powerboating looking for advice

Depends on where you are boating and your needs. Lake, ocean? small big, family? friends, rafting lunch at shooters? so many boats for so many uses. Speed is great, but it takes a long time to learn how to handle properly. dont be a statistic, start slow and build from there. take some boatsing safety courses, as many as you can. after getting your feet wet for a year step up to tres martins course http://www.performanceboatschool.com/ then decide on something faster.

oldandtired 07-29-2006 11:08 PM

First, and most important, do you have much boating experience? If you don't, then don't get yourself into something really fast. Remember that you are responsible for the safety of everyone aboard when you're in your boat. Things start going wrong really fast in a fast boat. I personally really like the looks of a Nordic Heat (28'). You could get a nice, used one for a pretty good price. My general advice is to find something that is still in warranty and completely stock except for safety and longevity mods(hydraulic steering in particular). Modified engines are generally a pain and will cause more frustration than it's worth for most people. There's a 25 foot baja around here running a claimed 612 hp, 496. It only gets into the low 70's. It is a heavy boat, but it seems to handle really well.

Good luck in your search,

Rene

dean51267 07-29-2006 11:24 PM

you are getting some great advice here, stay with a stock, production boat, find one well below book value, run it a couple seasons, get it know it really, really well, and then move up from there.

Know what kind of water you want to run in, if it is the ocean, you are going to really struggle to get a rig that will work for that price, in a lake boat that is easily do able. Know your lake, at Lake of the Ozarks a 30' boat will beat you to death, in other places a 24' boat is fine.

Take the classes, as said before, people in your boat are depending on you to give them a fun, and safe trip, and get them back on the dock in the same condition as when they started. Not only them, but other boaters are counting on you knowing the rules, and living by them.

Every year on our lake several people are killed by stupidity, either their own or someone else, you want to be talking about the other guy that got stupid, not dealing with the court system when you did.

In the end, most of the performance boats are plenty fast for the first few seasons, after that, go as far as you want, but do spend the time to learn, and enjoy the hell out of it.... there is nothing like being in control of a high performance machine on the water, and no better place to meet really great people...

brdman 07-29-2006 11:26 PM

thanks for the info, I agree, I need to find something that is low maintenance, and within my capabilities of handling. I dont have much boating experience as for as owning my own, I have friends of mine that have boats so I am not at a complete loss, but not enough to take on to much boat myself. Most of my boating will be in lakes and I usually go to Destin, FL a few times in the summer...

dreamer 07-30-2006 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by dean51267

Know what kind of water you want to run in, if it is the ocean, you are going to really struggle to get a rig that will work for that price,

wtf? :rolleyes:

stick to giving advice about what u know......

geo political policy and mid east affairs :rolleyes:

60-70k gets u plenty of boat

open87 07-30-2006 06:32 AM

welll ,i don't know where you are location wise...

this boat would be perfect for you... do not let the age spook you .....

engines are bullet proof , easy to maintain etc and will cut through any water you put it in..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-11150.html

dean51267 07-30-2006 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer
wtf? :rolleyes:

stick to giving advice about what u know......

geo political policy and mid east affairs :rolleyes:

60-70k gets u plenty of boat

wow, guess maybe those boats are not all that expensive after all.......................

mboger 07-30-2006 08:23 AM

also what are you pulling with
60-70 for a boat i dont think you want to spend another 30 for a truck

brdman 07-30-2006 09:28 AM

I currently have an H2, so I should be good on towing at least up to 28' boat I think....