Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
St Clair.. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive. >

St Clair.. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive.

Notices

St Clair.. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: St Clair.. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive.

Originally Posted by dean51267
I went to a couple of races as a volunteer, paid a lot of money to get there, hotel, fuel, food, all that stuff. The race organizer both times promised the moon, shirts, bst view poiints, get to be a rescue boat, great passes, dinner parties, free stuff, only to ignore, abuse, and belittled. The last one was particularly bad. After months of building up how great it was going to be I found it disappointing at best. The first time we almost got arrested because race control was screaming be in a particular spot and Fish and Wildlife wanted us to move. You know how the fish and wildlife guys are, any attempt at discussions practically gets you arrested.... we bailed on both events half way through after basically feeling like we were someones punching bag....

The boating community will come to the table and help, but these organizations have to do some little stuff to say thanks to volunteers, not a lot, but maybe a shirt, a free round of drinks, talk to us like people not dogs, stuff like that..... or quite asking people to be punching bags.....

I may have just happened into two poorly organized events in a row, but it was bad enough there will not be a third.... I will be a spectator only from now on, in the cheap seats.....
All valid points and regretable..... but based on last weekend, there is hope for better days to come.

T2x
Old 08-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: St Clair.. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive.

dean...

i assure you. we appreciate our volunteers. IN A BIG WAY. We know how much hard work goes into putting on an event. And it can not be done without you. I know that I, personally treat all the volunteers with respect and whenever I get the chance, I say thank you.

Dont let a couple bad experiences cloud your judgement in general. give it another try if you get the chance. Things are changing for the better, and whether you are a volunteer, a racer, or a team crewmember, you will be well received.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see Factory 1 and Factory 2 come back to life. Most of us common , ordinary people don't have an exotic canopied pleasure boat. The general public can relate more to these classes and the quicker we bring them back , the quicker the sport will grow. Just my opinion of course!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Re: St Clair.. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive.

Originally Posted by 46tomcat
Phantom 1 you are right it was a Blue water and OPA event with OSS being the guest.It was great to have all the boats at one race site no matter who the host is.
I sure hope some how Cambridge, Md one day can be one of those joint events..

Within a few hours for me so I can drive!

I had a great experience in St Clair this weekend.
It reminded me much of how the Bennihana in NJ used to be when I was growing up as a kid. All that was missing was the Clydesdales and a parade. With the layout in St Clair though, you don't need a parade. As T2x said, everyone was accessible.
Great meeting you Tom! Keep up the great work....

There is light at the end of the tunnel.........
Attached Thumbnails St Clair.. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive.-tunnel.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I would like to see Factory 1 and Factory 2 come back to life. Most of us common , ordinary people don't have an exotic canopied pleasure boat. The general public can relate more to these classes and the quicker we bring them back , the quicker the sport will grow. Just my opinion of course!
Agreed!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:00 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by THEJOKER

Unfortunately in truth it is....."The more classes ...the quicker the demise."

The sport grew fastest with only 5 classes....total...and would have grown faster with fewer yet. If you look at other motor racing series , those that have the most classes (SCCA...etc)...have the smallest followings. The misguided position that more classes will attract that guy with a hull in his garage....drives away many more potential competitiors with the budget to buy a new boat for a class they understand.

Simplicity is the key to this......remember KISS.

T2x
Old 08-02-2006, 07:06 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Picture this...IMHO.

The sport needs:

1. ONE entry level class...low budget, learners...maximum time in class 4 years.

2. ONE single engine class....for the single engine budget teams...(SVL?)

3. ONE multi engine class...for the multi engine budget teams
(SCL?)

All "spec" engines.

Fountain can sponsor #2, Mercruiser can sponsor #1...and Budweiser can sponsor #3...or whomever.

Take a potential fleet of 100 boats......

NOW You've got something worth building on!

K.I.S.S.

T2x
Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dean51267
I went to a couple of races as a volunteer, paid a lot of money to get there, hotel, fuel, food, all that stuff. The race organizer both times promised the moon, shirts, bst view poiints, get to be a rescue boat, great passes, dinner parties, free stuff, only to ignore, abuse, and belittled. The last one was particularly bad. After months of building up how great it was going to be I found it disappointing at best. The first time we almost got arrested because race control was screaming be in a particular spot and Fish and Wildlife wanted us to move. You know how the fish and wildlife guys are, any attempt at discussions practically gets you arrested.... we bailed on both events half way through after basically feeling like we were someones punching bag....

The boating community will come to the table and help, but these organizations have to do some little stuff to say thanks to volunteers, not a lot, but maybe a shirt, a free round of drinks, talk to us like people not dogs, stuff like that..... or quite asking people to be punching bags.....

I may have just happened into two poorly organized events in a row, but it was bad enough there will not be a third.... I will be a spectator only from now on, in the cheap seats.....

Dean, having just done the patrol boat thing at the OSS Toronto races, I can tell you that the experience was vastly different from what you describe. The volunteer organizers did a great job of taking care of us lowly volunteers. We were fed and watered, received nice commerative golf shirts, were giving free access to all events, launching, docking and definately had "the best seats in the house". I will gladly do it again next year when OSS comes to town.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dean, I am sorry you had such a bad experience volunteering. I started doing it about 16 years ago and now I am a director of our race because I loved it so much. We always try to make sure our volunteers are well taken care of for that very reason. This year we are giving them a free fun run, slips, shirts, a couple of meals, and absolutely the best seat in the house. If you get a chance try it again with one of the organizations around now, I know everyone tries to do their best to keep the volunteers happy since they are so crucial to what we do.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Dean, having just done the patrol boat thing at the OSS Toronto races, I can tell you that the experience was vastly different from what you describe. The volunteer organizers did a great job of taking care of us lowly volunteers. We were fed and watered, received nice commerative golf shirts, were giving free access to all events, launching, docking and definately had "the best seats in the house". I will gladly do it again next year when OSS comes to town.
Sean as you know we were there as well and yes I agree with your comments on how well OSS treated the volunteers.
I will be there again next year and hope Dean will give them another chance. I came away greatly impressed with the whole OSS approach. I feel their future is bright and can only hope the other groups will see the light and jump on board.
Bob

Quick Reply: St Clair.. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.