Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? >

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of boats would you want to see race?
Single engine and twin engine non canopied boats
67.00%
Exotic canopied boats
33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Old 08-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Originally Posted by StillCrazy J&M
I've loved being around and watching offshore racing my whole life. The fact that my uncle Mike Poppa (Still Crazy) was killed participating in the sport did not change that, but it did change the way our family, as well as others looked at the safety aspects. Racing non-canopied boats capable of more than 75 mph, in big seas, is more than dangerous. You will just be waiting to see who gets killed next.

The comparisons of watching F class boats to watching Nascar are not very accurate. The only similarity between a Nextel Cup car and a factory car is the fact that they both have 4 wheels. I don't think Nascar would be very popular if there were a bunch of factory cars circling the track at 90 mph and every time one hit the wall the driver was killed.

It seems the best of both worlds would be the SVL/SV & SC, running crate motors, with adequate safety systems and canopies running a long course with a mixture of inshore legs for spectators and offshore legs where the boats can really run the way true offshore powerboat racing should be. Like Nextel Cup cars these are souped up bada** boats running high speeds with highly trained drivers and throttlemen that the average "Joe" with their 29 ft sport boat emulates.

The current state of offshore racing is very depressing compared to the glory days of the past, but I do not think all is lost yet. Certain changes must be made, ie. the reduction in number of classes. Watching only one, two, or three boats race per class is not even a race...it's a parade. And even though I have always loved to see the technology, speed, mystique of the superboats, it's not very practical to think very many teams will be able to afford the budgets necessary to race those machines on a regular basis around the country.

In short: One Race Sanctioning Body, two classes with 20+ boats each, long course with inshore and offshore legs.

I for one don't see the draw of watching open boats race as opposed to canopied boats given the same race course. Ignoring safety is irresponsible and imho disrespectful to those who have died in the past and whose misfortune prompted a safety revolution that now allows teams to participate without risking life and limb every second.

My .02
-Jordan Poppa
verry well said, hat off for you, raul/orss
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by orss
well in 16 years doing this i see a lot ejected out of the boat

ps/ any questions see freeze frame videos, you will see many more there
That's because they are trying to race these boats in a manner in witch they where not intended... Look whats the sense of having vee hulls with 24 to 27 degree bottoms any more why not 15 to 17 with large fins on the bottom(kinda like enduro boats) so they can take tight turns, this kills me! you put steps on hulls that make them faster but you can't turn them,( you can carve a sharp turn with a conventional vee with out much worry) yet the race courses are set up for really tight turns.... that's a safety problem.....Look you don't race top fuel dragsters at Daytona...why ?...CAUSE THEY CANT TURN !!!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Registered

since most p-class boats are non canopied and running speeds well in the 75-100 mph range as was f1 and f2 classes from the past how many racers have passed away compared to the canopied race boats from recent years with the tighter race coarses that we are seeing now ? i believe there was a fatal accident a few years ago in a canopied super cat. i also recall tom gentry and a few others racers not being able to get out in time with a lid over their heads.i really enjoyed the factory class racing !
Old 08-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far the 66% is what I expected. I agree P-Class boats run fast and safe with a good safety record also. I've raced with a lid and yes drowning is a factor if you go over. We've never lost a F1 driver either but admit luck has been a factor. I really appreciate the "no slamming" anybody on this thread!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

joker, any f2 racers passed away while racing in the class ? in any form of racing there will always be accidents.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yes 2 F2's , Sad but true.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

just my 2 cents, i can see 70-100 MPH (and faster) open cockpit boats anytime i want at LOTO, when i go to the races i want to see race boats...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered

Unfortunatley for us boat race fans, espn thinks poker and darts are more entertaining than boat racing..............
Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

joker,did the accidents happen while in a turn or a straight line ? i remember the f2 class had very close deck to deck racing with like 20 boats at one time. i really enjoyed it
Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Registered

you might see them at loto at any given time but not with 20 other boats running wot almost rubbing into each other .
Originally Posted by Sean H
just my 2 cents, i can see 70-100 MPH (and faster) open cockpit boats anytime i want at LOTO, when i go to the races i want to see race boats...

Quick Reply: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.