Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Merc 600 VS Ilmor 625 in Speed Boat mag >

Merc 600 VS Ilmor 625 in Speed Boat mag

Notices

Merc 600 VS Ilmor 625 in Speed Boat mag

Old 08-02-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merc 600 VS Ilmor 625 in Speed Boat mag

Did anyone else read this article July 2006 edition, Speedboat Mag.

They did a pretty good side by side comparison, even running them in the same type of boat for comparisons OL 39 Quattro, both ran 101mph. My questions is basically Ilmor is pricing themselves out of their market, the list on the Ilmor is 5k less but boat Mfgs are charging 8K more per pair to install them?? So you save 1K per engine, fewer people can work on and has fewer bells/whistles(smart craft). Plus being relatively new could hurt resale. Seems to me Ilmor should be selling at a discount until they pick up market share??

What do you think??

WILL
Old 08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Re: Merc 600 VS Ilmor 625 in Speed Boat mag

The black stuff is pretty hard to beat!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well has there been any problems with the ILMORS?????
Old 08-02-2006, 03:32 PM

The article did not comment on any problems on either?? However I doubt that thier are as many Ilmors produced. Don't get me wrong I would rather have Ilmors but from a Bang for the buck, they cost the same???
Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya but what it doesnt seem they mentioned is that the ilmor gets 35% better fuel economy over the mercruiser motors. Also the Ilmor is non supercharged so I would say you would get less physical wear on the motor than a merc since you have no forced induction on a ilmor. I would spend the extra bucks to have an ilmor just for the fuel enconomy, the crazy sound, and the fact that you can smoke people with a non supercharged motor. Dont get me wrong though I do believe they are slightly over priced being that they are fresh to the market, Just my .02.

John Kirsch
Unique Performance West, Inc.
www.uniqueperformancewest.com
714-865-3502
Old 08-02-2006, 04:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
The article did not comment on any problems on either?? However I doubt that thier are as many Ilmors produced. Don't get me wrong I would rather have Ilmors but from a Bang for the buck, they cost the same???
Personally, I like the Ilmors - have run a 38 Donzi ZR with twin Ilmor motors and loved it - midrange throttle response is unreal - the boat smokes. The sound of the Ilmors is very distinctive - at idle they are not as loud as a typical V8 big block, but wind them up and they sound awesome.

Nothing against the Merc 600, but it is a blower motor. I used to have a boat with a Merc 525SC in it and while it ran well, blowers require additional maintenance and the repairs were expensive. I know that the 525SC is "old" technology, but I would still rather have a N/A motor.

Also - if I recall, not all manufacturers charge more for an Ilmor install - for example, I believe that Eliminator charges the same.

From a repair standpoint, it might be refreshing to take the boat and motors to a Dodge dealer versus a marine shop - the last time I checked, most auto dealer service managers still know the meaning of "customer service"...
Old 08-02-2006, 04:46 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

I saw this article and found it interesting. The performance was very close I believe the Ilmor had faster mid range. The thing that stood out was the gas usage. The Ilmor(and I could have it wrong but I don't think I do) used a lot more gas(GPH)almost every where on the chart till top end and then they were very close. I was still am a fan of the Ilmor but the GPH was very very surprising
Old 08-02-2006, 04:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
I saw this article and found it interesting. The performance was very close I believe the Ilmor had faster mid range. The thing that stood out was the gas usage. The Ilmor(and I could have it wrong but I don't think I do) used a lot more gas(GPH)almost every where on the chart till top end and then they were very close. I was still am a fan of the Ilmor but the GPH was very very surprising
Actually, I think the Ilmor and Merc were pretty close throughout the mid-RPM range (with a slight advantage to Merc) but the Ilmor had a decided advantage at WOT... but I could be wrong about that...
Old 08-02-2006, 05:32 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dirtlawyer
Actually, I think the Ilmor and Merc were pretty close throughout the mid-RPM range (with a slight advantage to Merc) but the Ilmor had a decided advantage at WOT... but I could be wrong about that...

Here you go check the 50 to 70 and 60 to 80 times and you will see what I ment

http://www.mercuryracing.com/_media/...e--Boating.pdf
Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Here you go check the 50 to 70 and 60 to 80 times and you will see what I ment

http://www.mercuryracing.com/_media/...e--Boating.pdf
Kind of strange that Merc posted that on their site!

Quick Reply: Merc 600 VS Ilmor 625 in Speed Boat mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.