Tragedy at LOTO.. again...

Notices

Tragedy at LOTO.. again...

Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tragedy at LOTO.. again...

Originally Posted by 10x
That's really sad. There's no reason to drink alcohol and operate a boat. I know alot of guys do, but, that is'nt right. Whenever we run our boat, I don't even think of having a drink. I could'nt afford to do somrthing stupid because I was "under the influence". It's not fair to all the other people onboard your boat, and to the other boaters.
When we get back to the dock for the night, that's another story.
I'm with you. Anyone who says they have seen me drink and boat is and out and out liar. When I leave the dock, my main goal is to get myself and all my passengers back to the dock safely. NOTHING else takes precendence, not being the fastest, not drinking the most, not catching fish, absolutely NOTHING. Now, this isn't because I don't like to drink, as a matter of fact, you can ask Debbie how many times I've told her the only time I am truly happy, is when I'm drunk. I won't even have a single beer, because I know how I am, one's too many, and a thousand's not enough.

No way I could live with myself if someone got hurt or killed because of my own stupidity.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

I DEFINATELY HAVE mine in the slip by dark, just dont feel comfortable when seeing the number of people wobbling down to the docks at the on water bars, and getting behind the wheel and driving off, used to love being on the water at night, most people dont stay under 30mph and I have seen alot of Nav lights not working as people pull out, this is really a sad story as they all are, but happens on land everyday as well, just seems like boating accidents are a bigger news item.no matter what we do there will always be stupid people who get behind the wheel, this has nothing to do with the type of boat , just the lack of responsibility of the driver, leave it docked, tell the owner, call a cab and pick the boat up in the am is the answer.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Little surprised that some of the larger places on the water do not offer some type of water taxi as a service, or even the water patrol offering some type of program.........prob. not enough boats to accomidiate those in need.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered

A weekend at the lake would not be complete without a late night boat ride. Sure, you need to pay extra attention to what you are doing, but the lake is realitively quiet and the air is cool. While i am sure that darkness had a bunch to do with the accident, the booze is what killed.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Registered

Sad, very sad.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:07 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad!
Unfortunately, there are some around here that feel it is important to drink (or power drink) while boating. When told they should at least lighten up or really wait until later: ya get: "aww don't be such a puzzy", etc, etc.
?????????????????

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillR
Sad!
Unfortunately, there are some around here that feel it is important to drink (or power drink) while boating. When told they should at least lighten up or really wait until later: ya get: "aww don't be such a puzzy", etc, etc.
?????????????????
Sad incident.

BillR - That's not because they're drinking... it's because you ARE such a puzzy. Now take some cough medicine and go drive your toy LOL
Old 08-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey LOTO Boater,

Welcome to OSO!! It's great to have more members of this active and powerful forum. I hope your trial membership turns into a longtime friendship with some passionate and informed boaters.

Usually new posters give a little introduction about themselves like do they own a boat or are looking to get into powerboating, have been lurking for a while or post on another forum, know some folks in the industry etc.

Since you've jumped into a pretty hot thread with a strong opinion you're a little suspect but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you'll share a little more about yourself and your experiences with boating and with LOTO.

This tragedy emphasizes the responsibilities all types of boaters and captains need to focus on more diligently and my prayers go out to all the families involved.

SG