Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Poll game cuts both ways >

The Poll game cuts both ways

Notices
View Poll Results: What the sport of Offshore needs
I think the sport needs unity and a simplified, fan friendly format
78.23%
I want to continue with numerous "exotic classes" and constant bickering between the groups.
8.84%
I want things shoved down my throat
2.04%
I have no opinion, but I will ask someone and get back to you.
10.88%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

The Poll game cuts both ways

Old 08-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The Poll game cuts both ways

Actually ... Ive never compared it to Nascar but I think they are saying it could be like that ... different series (Nascar has like 8 different regional series plus Busch, Trucks and Cup) with one head (France family).

Im talkin more like Nascar/IRL/Cart/F1 .. 4 different series but one world championship. How cool would that be Ok .. now that I say it like that it probably wouldnt work (lol)

Oh and OPA would be DEI .. cuz they rock
Old 08-11-2006, 11:20 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Is Alan4 still a putz ???

Either way, cool thread....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late night banter....

Not a NASCAR fan but think there is a lot of things they do well like organization and promotion that could help Offshore Racing promoters expand and grow the sport.

Not too many other sports have a constantly changing unpredictable " track" known as Mother Nature - its one of the main elements that sets the sport apart but has slowly become less important as events are run closer in and with shorter distances. The unpredictability of water needs to be brought back and promoted. I realize courses must be smaller and closer in to promote spectators/sponsors but the battle with Mother Nature is really what it's all about - capitalize on it! I know this subject has been horse beat but there are ways to make it visually more entertaining rather than having boats lapping their own wakes. Some of these courses today are only a mile long.

Maybe its the way the cameras are used today - they seem to crop the frame with just the boat and it really gets monotonous. May as well shoot the boat in a studio tank with outboards making wakes.

Enough Old School rants... article by Marilyn DeMartini on Team Muscle - quotes about promotion and the NASCAR word No, not every team has the resources to do what they do but maybe a reality show somewhere in it all - could do more for the sport than Michael Mann.

From article:

Such demonstrations of unselfishness, and yes, bravery, do not go unnoticed in a sport where people risk their lives in the name of sport and fun. The cultivated image as perverted "Bad Boys," belies the personal depth and commitment shown when more important things count, and have earned Branch the respect, if not necessarily the friendship of most racers. "A lot of these guys don't like it when they see us surrounded by 150 fans in the Pits, signing autographs, selling T-shirts, they say, 'They're perverts, they make us look bad,' but they don't get it?you have to promote?look at NASCAR, that's part of everyone's contracts, you have to create exposure."

Entire article: http://www.marilyndemartini.com/rcnt_19.htm
Old 08-12-2006, 01:10 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes everyone wants to compare it to NASCAR. Why? Their marketing strategies.
It certainly has nothing to do with their courses.
They aren't even close.

Now if you want to make some what of a comparison with Offshore and another auto sport?

Then I would say have a look at this: The 500

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Yes everyone wants to compare it to NASCAR. Why? Their marketing strategies.
It certainly has nothing to do with their courses.
They aren't even close.

Now if you want to make some what of a comparison with Offshore and another auto sport?

Then I would say have a look at this: The 500

You're absolutely right - that is a much better comparison to Offshore racing.
Unfortunately, it also get's the same limited fan base / coverage as Offshore.

For comparison's sake, who would like to see NASCAR run Daytona on the beach again, like the old days?

I'd like to see Offshore (today) make the run to Nassau, but, I don't think it's ever going to happen
Old 08-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
For comparison's sake, who would like to see NASCAR run Daytona on the beach again, like the old days?

Well ya know I would. Tony Stewart would kick some serious ass on sand

I think you guys are right on track. Its a promotable sport if somebody would start screamin the positives. There are way too many threads that only ***** about the negatives and fans read those and say why the hell should I support this. The thing they are missing is, its not the racers doin the *****ing. You never see Dave Scott or Peppers or Augie or Papa Dukes or Muscle or Loan Shark or Crockett or most teams on here *****in about anything. They are why we watch, they are why Im dyin to get t-shirts (hint hint ), and they are why Im postin on these threads. These guys are awesome .. they are fun to watch .. and when you GO to the races, you see the side by side racing, you see the racing so hard into a turn they flip (still glad you guys are ok), and you see the fun in the pits

Maybe at the Destin party in November, we can do a meet and greet so some fans who have never met some of these awesome people can meet them. That too is part of why Nascar works. You know who the drivers are. You know what personalities you like and which ones you dont. Its way more fun watching a sport when you know the players
Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,308 Likes on 3,706 Posts

you see the side by side racing, you see the racing so hard into a turn they flip [QUOTE]

The side by side racing has been great this year, not matter the class, I took 700 pics in FT. Myers, my objective was to have as many boats in the pics as possible right by the last turn. i used this concept in Biloxi, in 2005.
In order to make it more marketable you need better stills and video, besides one camera and one boat. It truly does not capture the awe of seeing 11 SCL coming into the first turn.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Poo
Banned

The poll says about 78 % ? There is only one to chose from .It should be 100 % I would think . 29 were having fun choosing the dumb choices .

Last edited by Poo; 08-12-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

so who checked they want things shoved down thier throats? racegirl, jc and masher?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
so who checked they want things shoved down thier throats? racegirl, jc and masher?

Quick Reply: The Poll game cuts both ways

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.