Shadow cat experts please

Old 08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shadow cat experts please

Originally Posted by GJL
Fishead

As T2x said there are many parameters to the set up. Be glad to help you call 631-435-8496.

George Linder
Hows that for customer service!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I MISS MY SHADOW!!! Got much attention at all the Poker Runs. George and Rich make this sport worth loving.MY first ride over thriple digits was in Special Edition at the Halter 200 in New Orleans.Didn't go over well with my farther he was with Cigarette racing and work for Harold Halter.

Install a tunnel tab but be careful,I had the HotPursuit 160 +,
with no tab this was out of the question.

Last edited by HotPursuit; 08-16-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Hi There:

Pete Aitken was one of the best racers we dealt with.....

I raced with him in his first race in the original Shadow... as a kind of check out cruise in the New Orleans race...in 1981 I believe. After that he raced with Tom Akoury......and was basically unbeatable.

For the record, the first boat didn't actually fall apart, but it did have some delamination in the forward entry sections due to hollow strakes in the early layups....... (your Dad's original boat was actually the 4th hull).....and we replaced it and LOVE-IT (it's inboard sister ship) free of charge (try that today)....... with solid straked versions (no other changes were made)....The first hull was repaired and sold as a pleasure boat. His second boat became the winningest boat of all time in the Pro-stock Class.

Do you guys still have the restaurants?

Best Regards,

T2x
I talked to Pops last night...he said to say hi. He thought he had the 3rd hull after the prototype and "Joey's boat." He was curious what the other boat was??
Old 08-17-2006, 10:53 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NRG
If the Shadow and Chris Cat are so good, what happened? Why did Skater become the desired racing boat? Would like to hear the answer from T2x if possible!
Shadow(Image Boat co.) was a partnership and it dissolved over a dispute around ownership of a 38 foot plug that we had completed..... but had not made a set of molds from. I had the plug burned...(I can be testy at times ) ......and then we went to court... (we won)... I got some cash and George was freed from his contract with me....... and the company and the 30 and 21 foot molds....reverted to the other partner..... This was in 1983 or so.

George took a modification of the design to Chris Craft (The Chris Cat)......and I formed Conquest Marine to build custom one off catamaran designs in plywood/fibreglass composite. I disliked molded boats and had a real passion for the Molinari and Seebold wooden tunnel boats I had raced previously ...and the infinite number of modifications that could be made to them during (and after) construction.

The Shadow brand and products went downhill from there due to a change of vision and a string of schemes (including leasing the molds, new "partners", cheaper materials, lighter laminates..etc, etc.)...and the more easily available and factory backed Chris Cat racing program.

The Chris Cat program ran afoul of later business plans and ownership changes at Chris Craft......

Conquest Marine was a year behind in construction orders when Mark Lavin was killed..... following that we completed only those boats that were under construction at the time...cancelled the others...and completed the 50 foot Jesse James....at Mark's family's request....... after which, I quit the business...but stayed in the arena through the safety standards and TV broadcasting.

Peter Hledin was gearing up at the time.....and he had a fine product, which was a natural evolution of what George and I were doing..... He took over the market created by Cougar, Shadow, and Conquest...and has done a superb job.

T2x
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (11-13-2022)
Old 08-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Who designed the Shadow cat??
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
I talked to Pops last night...he said to say hi. He thought he had the 3rd hull after the prototype and "Joey's boat." He was curious what the other boat was??
Joey had two boats, both of which were built for the NY boat show....

T2x
Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by littlenige
Who designed the Shadow cat??
George Linder...with a little help from his friends..

T2x
Old 08-17-2006, 11:46 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Let me also note that Conquest's boats were a tribute to the skill and craftsmanship of Ken Adams.

T2x
Old 08-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJL
Fishead

As T2x said there are many parameters to the set up. Be glad to help you call 631-435-8496.

George Linder
George, Could you give us the history of the Chris Cat (from your perspective) from start to finish. Were they all built at the same CC factory or sub-contracted out? What is the difference between the I/O model and the O/B model (besides the power plants)?

Last edited by ROTAX454; 08-17-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Let me also note that Conquest's boats were a tribute to the skill and craftsmanship of Ken Adams.

T2x
Rich, Thank you for the history lesson on the early cat days. That from someone that fully appreciates that true craftsman are still around. Something that is much missed in the boat industry (by some manufacturers) today.

Quick Reply: Shadow cat experts please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.