Notices

Speaker mounts ?

Old 01-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Speaker mounts ?

Has anyone found a way to mount tweeters on the front window post moldings on a new ford truck ?

I have seen on some Dodges ,I think , THey had tiny ,factory speakers mounted there. And also I know they make gauge mounting pods for boost ,exhaust temp etc .to be mounted there too.I know you can get one for the drivers side ,but can you get one for the passenger side ? HAs anyone found something like this ? I want to put my 6 1/2" round mid range speakers in the door and put the tweeters on the pilarpost molding . I want it to look stock and not have to cut up my truck ,as I sell my trucks often and keep my stereo equipment. SO it has to go back to stock .

Anybody ?
Old 01-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Registered

Come on , jump in anytime !
Old 01-16-2002, 06:53 PM
FWK

I have always flush mounted the tweeters in the doors. The pillar post woud have to surfaced mounted and would not look good at all. If you are looking for an non destructive way (not how I would do this) is to mount the tweeters in the surface mount housing and put then in the corners of the dash anbd double side tape them down. You will be able to hide the wire, not destroy the integrity of the truck,get the sound results you want and be able to keep the speaker system. Audiofn may have another suggestion as IO know he was upgrading his sound system in his Ford. The few cars that I work on anymore are european. Forrest
P.S. I have only seen the pods for the drivers side also.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok this is what I would do. Go to the dealership and buy a set of plastic pilliar covers. Then have your local stereo shop make pods on them. They will be able to make them look totally stock and using bondo and fiberglass should be able to make it look really good. Then when you want to get rid of the truck out them come pillar and all and in go the new ones and you would never know. Then you can if they do not change the truck snap the things into the next truck. If you change color, no big deal just paint them to match.

Jon
Old 01-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Registered

THanks guys , Audiofn, that is exactly what I was thinking if I couldn't just buy them ready to go . WHere would be the bestplace to mount them ? Low , by the dash or up higher by the head liner ?

In my last truck I surface mounted them to the head liner with one little screw .It was right next to the corner of the sun vissor. It worked good but it was just a touch too much of in your face music . I am no expert but I think my crossover had a thing to turn the tweeter down but it wasn't enough . I am thinking low on the piller postwould work . WHat do you guys think ? THanks .
Old 01-17-2002, 12:07 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Well the old school method that has always worked well is to cross fire them. The left side one aims to the right and the right to the left. The tweeter should be farther away from your ear then the mid as high frequancies tend to travel slightly faster then the lows. Get the tweeter as far away as you can. Most competition cars have them down by your feet. That is great but in trucks they tend to get kicked, so it is a tough call.

Jon
Old 01-17-2002, 01:17 AM
Registered

Thanks Jon, I tried it pointing across the truck and I thought it sounded better pointing at me . Maybe I needed to mount it pointing across and drive it a while in normal conditions .Maybe I would like that better. Someone told me they were suposed to point at you ,but he was in no way a pro ! You think if I mount them in the bottom of the door or even in the kick pannel it would sound better ? (Assuming they don't get kicked )!
Old 01-17-2002, 09:47 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Every car is different. I would hook everything up but leave the tweeter out with a long wire. Then keep moving them around to different acceptable locations. You can use double sided tape to hold them were you want. Remember is it just a test but you do want them to be pointed the way you think you will eventually make the pods. You will be amazed at what some locations do to the sound. When you cross fire you do not actually have them aim strait across the front they angle back a bit, so at 45 degrees or so.

Jon
Old 01-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you went with mounting the tweeters low in the door, there's another thing to watch out for besides them getting kicked. Listen to the system from the driver's seat, then have someone sit in the passenger seat. I had one of my pickups set up this way, and I thought I had the tweeters perfect until I put someone in the truck with me. Turned out that the passenger's leg ended up right in front of the tweeter and muffled the highs.
Stupid mistake, as I already cut the panels to flush mount the tweeters. Especially since I was a car audio installer for years - should have known better.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:38 PM
Registered

Thanks ,every little bit helps !

Quick Reply: Speaker mounts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.