Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
4 boats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread??? >

4 boats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread???

Notices

4 boats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread???

Old 08-18-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 4 boats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread???

Whoa, is that the new Skater 30 Prototype?? Front cover of Extreme boat mag Vol. 2.7 ??

I wasn't there but, obviously these guys were going too fast too close for 4 of them to hit.

And for the commenrt about "the safty dorector said its OK to run like that" I don't buy it but even if it was true, the Captain is responsible for their craft end of discussion!

WILL

Last edited by BAJA WILL; 08-18-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: 4 Cats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread???

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
Please, no safety advisor worth his salt would ever say it's OK to run with a surface drive about to tear loose.
I heard the same rumor and hope this is incorrect.

I also heard it wasn't the safety director, it was the manufacturer...
Old 08-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Wow thats some scary stuff.....what the heck happened.
Are these prop marks across the wind screen?
From the thread posted by RonP in post #32:

Originally Posted by 27daytona
The rumor has it that Razor's drive tie bar had failed and the copter shot has footage of it flopping around before he hooked. Seven boats were damaged to some extent. My 35 Jag was envolved, so sadly for me my season is over, however no one was injured in my boat or the 36 skater that ran over my stern. The accidents all happened before the run even officially started. The cause in my opinion was boats jumping the start in a tight area. I saw the razor skater upside down and reduced speed and came off plane and some trailing boats simply didn't react quick enough or were traveling too fast. We were at an idle and were hit be the skater at est. 80 m.p.h. He was slowing from over 100 m.p.h. in an area that we were not to exceed 70 m.p.h. I was able to come off plane and almost stop in that same area, so driver error almost caused a loss of life. The boat took off my port air cleaners with his drive skeg and his prop cut the back rest and the side of my hull directly were my buddy was sitting. My buddies were standing on the rear seats waving their arms and dove to the floor. We were very lucky! What was to be a fun day almost shortened my list of friends. Sorry about the rant and I enjoy fast boating but use common sense. Bob Teague stated the procedure to be followed at the drivers meeting and he has driven more fast boats than most and his instructions were not followed by some. Be safe and enjoy the rest of the season. I'll have to wait for next year. Doug
Old 08-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

WOW !!!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 2,943 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by packinair
Why must you continue to question Steve in his own sandbox?
Dude, you are such a tool. How did I question Steve? I was stating facts.

And for the record. I agreed with you and Steve about insurance co's reading threads. I just believe they will get to the bottom of an incident with or with out open forums help and it is every boat owners responsibility to be accountable for their actions. If you go and do something stupid while boating, i.e. drink and drive, run with mechanical failure, drive a boat beyond your experience, etc. then it's not others responsibility to keep quite. It's the owners responsibility and they should be held accountable. You get perturbed at people that bring this up seaking info on something they heard, hoping to get the real story. Instead of getting upset with that you should be upset with the root of the problem: the dumb azz who's doing something stupid, crashing and spreading negativity onto our sport.

Now, I know the intimate details of the Big Cat run but I do not post them because I got the point Steve was making on the other thread. The only reason I posted on this thread was to give an opinion on upcoming actions. i.e. major changes to poker runs and to hopefully give a sobering reminder that we all need to be careful when running.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Tank, personal observation here.

It's true, it would be hard to imagine the Ins co. not being able to put this all together with lots of witnesses and damage to inspect.

A little different than a 1 boat accident with limited witnesses where the wrong thread/comment could make a difference.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Why must you constantly kiss his azz.
ROFLMFAO
Old 08-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=CIG3]Rumor has it, that the 30 Skater with the Arnesons had some issues with one of the drives and a number of its mounting bolts being broken before the run. The saftey director and resident offshore expert told the owner it would be fine to run like that.
SOME EXPERT aka dumb azz, what was he thinking would hold the drive on the boat with the bolts broken? the 5200?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
Tank, personal observation here.

It's true, it would be hard to imagine the Ins co. not being able to put this all together with lots of witnesses and damage to inspect.

A little different than a 1 boat accident with limited witnesses where the wrong thread/comment could make a difference.

I hear ya bro. I've dealt with insurance investigators. They are not stupid. I personally don't think they need an open forum to find the truth of the matter is all. But I totally understand what you're saying in regards to the other thread. And my comments on that thread were in jest until PA went off the deep end.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CIG3
Rumor has it, that the 30 Skater with the Arnesons had some issues with one of the drives and a number of its mounting bolts being broken before the run. The saftey director and resident offshore expert told the owner it would be fine to run like that.

To continue the rumor that maybe will be backed up with arial photos soon, that the drive in question on the Skater broke loose at the start causing the chain reaction.

More info. and photos to come.
I would stay out of this but part of this is untrue and rumors like this are what is the problem here.

The first part of your post is true. There were mechanical issues that may have been known about by the owner prior to the run.

The second part of the first paragraph is absolutely not true. The safety drirector never said the boat would be fine to run like that.

There are photo's from the air and a video. However, they will not be posted on here or anywhere else.

This case is under investigation and arrests have been made. Until it all clears it'll all be speculation.

Quick Reply: 4 boats crash in Ca. and no one on OSO starts a thread???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.