Notices

The Boat Crash Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
Default The Boat Crash Thread

Wrecks Happen - for a small percentage it is an unfortunate reality of going fast on the water. I guess OSO is concerned that insurance companies may use eyewitness accounts posted on OSO against the claim filers so it is frowned upon to elaborate on these crashes. I understand this and don't want to participate in the hosing up of an insurance claim for any of my OSO brothers.

However, the posting of these crashes in the past has always served to sober me up to the reality that going fast on the water is a deadly serious business that can have consequences. We too often get caught up in the "I'm Faster than you, he's Faster than Me" b.s posting that takes place on-line. It gets the blood flowing and our hormones up and we make our boats faster and faster. But we too often forget that we are PLEASURING BOATING, NOT RACING.

I have heard sketchy accounts of at least FOUR SEPARATE Incidents this past weekend where Performance boats have lost control and sunk to the bottom (not to mention the other unpublished incidents at recent poker runs that sent people into the drink).

I worry because we no longer have these accident threads to learn from other's mistakes and to shock us back into a sense of reality. Be careful out there people. Have fun but remember that our first priority should always be to get our boats and passengers back to the docks safe and dry.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: The Boat Crash Thread

well said.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

on the money
Old 08-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Point taken, but unless it is posted by the OWNER/CAPTAIN it is all heresay.

I can't learn(and don't want to) from erroneous information.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CASH BAR

We're just glad you're O.K.!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
We're just glad you're O.K.!!!
Seriously.........that is HILARIOUS!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

well said ,i feel like its a privlegde to drive a boat with no speed limits,but if we keep screwin up who knows what will be taken from us !
Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn

However, the posting of these crashes in the past has always served to sober me up to the reality that going fast on the water is a deadly serious business that can have consequences.

I worry because we no longer have these accident threads to learn from other's mistakes and to shock us back into a sense of reality. Be careful out there people.
Originally Posted by CASH BAR

Couldn't have said it better myself. Now if the insurance companies would quit using creepy lawyers toi avoid paying out on accidents we could all live better.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Couldn't have said it better myself. Now if the insurance companies would quit using creepy lawyers toi avoid paying out on accidents we could all live better.
Ever drive through a big city and learn the names of the tallest buioldings.. Mostly insurance companies ..hmmm
Old 08-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though it's likely that you'll get more accurate information from the person or people, such as a boat's owner or captain,involved in an accident than you'll get from people reporting (and often misreporting) what they've heard, even first-person accounts guarantee nothing.

Do you really think a guy who's just wrecked his boat is going to come on here and post, "I was going too fast for the conditions" or something like that? For any number of good reasons, owners/drivers tend to keep their mouths shut after accidents. I'm no lawyer, but I'd be willing to bet that even the worst lawyer on the planet would advice against posting the story of your accident on a message board.

My question is: In a thread such as this, is the goal really to "learn from" an accident or "learn about" it, because they are too very different things. In either case, you'll have a tough time because the people who could provides most of the details, those involved (and keep in mind they'll see things differently even if they're only inches apart), won't be talking.

And who could blame them? There is no upside. And there's plenty of down.

Quick Reply: The Boat Crash Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.