Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   help with boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/138269-help-boat.html)

skilo8 08-18-2006 12:28 PM

help with boat

i would really apprecaite some advice from some people here as everyone seems extremely cool and well versed in boating. I liv ein Toms river nj, and own a 25 foot, maxum. I only have currently 2 feet of water in front of my house but am building my dock out for a minimum of 3ft at low tide. I am looking to step up and purchase something nicer but am inexperinece at driving a cigarette, (was hoping to take a class or soemthing). SO i guess the recommendation is what is a good starting boat and what is right reltaive to my experince and for the area. Was thinking a donzi 35zr or a cigarrette. But frankly only knowledge i have is from what i read here and other websites. Desperately looking for some advice and help.. Thx alot much appreciated.... Michael

Semper Fi 08-18-2006 12:33 PM

Re: help with boat

Welcome to OSO. Try to take a Coast Guard course...or Tres Martin's class for some more safety knowledge and they will help lower your insurance also.

I would probably stay in the 30'-33' range and go from there. That way you have the option to run a single screw or twinns.

ratman 08-18-2006 12:51 PM

skilo, just remember chicks dig cigarettes :D

skilo8 08-18-2006 12:53 PM

what is a single screw? are they any particluar boats that you would recommend? i assume from the psot that u mean dont go with the donzi 35zr? appreciate any insight thx u

rainmn 08-18-2006 01:04 PM

I can only assume that you plan on installing a lift for this new purchase? If so, you might want to check with some lift manufacturers about your water depth. It would suck to spend a bunch on money on the dock extension, only to find out you still aren't deep enough for the lift.
By the way - single screw = single engine.

ThunderBoat38 08-18-2006 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by rainmn
I can only assume that you plan on installing a lift for this new purchase? If so, you might want to check with some lift manufacturers about your water depth. It would suck to spend a bunch on money on the dock extension, only to find out you still aren't deep enough for the lift.
By the way - single screw = single engine.

*laughing here* I was expecting someone to have an answer relating to the Chic dig cigarettes and 'single or twin screw.

seriously though...........
I agree, stay in the 28 to 32 range for a year or two.... 288 sunsation, 271 or 292 formula , fountain etc. single engine will be less cost while you are in the 'learning curve'.

WELCOME to OSO.... a great groiup of people.

Wobble 08-18-2006 02:19 PM

I think a Donzi 33 or 35 would be a good choice, depending on power. The 33 I have driven was very mild mannered good riding and easy to handle around the docks.

The women loved it too :drink:

Don't know if a 35' is much different, but if that's in your budget, I think they are a fine boat.