Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What would you do (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/138307-what-would-you-do.html)

Pantera1 08-19-2006 09:25 PM

Re: What would you do

Yup , used boat , done deal, he eats it ..

Need-the-Speed 08-19-2006 09:54 PM

boatme,
Your in a tuff situation. Only you can decide. How would you feel if it happened to you? I know I would be pissed!! I would ask the guy how it happened. I would then ask the shop where the boat is located to check the motor with a scanner (if applicable) to see if in fact there may have been driver error i.e. over rev, extended wide open, water temp, oil temp etc. etc. . See if the scanner story and the drivers story match up and then make your decision. Usually a good mechanic can look at things and have some kind of clue what went down. Good luck!

P.s. You may want to contact a qualified OSO member in the area to do a little mechanical look. If the buyer didn't do anything wrong, there shouldn't be a problem.

cuda 08-19-2006 10:48 PM

I'm somewhat confused (not an unusual occurence), is he asking for $1000, or $5000?

Pantera1 08-20-2006 08:28 AM

420 Hours ????? Your done ..Tell him to suck an egg !
What dont people understand about USED equipment ..it comes with a garntee.. A garantee that it might break and the seller isnt obligated to do anything.. If you want new, Pay for new and get a warantee..

Originally Posted by boatme
All good comments. Thanks for keeping this infomative and positive even if you dont agree with everyone else

Just some clarification

1) boat was a 1998
2) Boat had 600 hours on it (420 hours was the rebuild) Customer knew the boat date of rebuild. He was given name and number of mechanic that did the work
3) Boat ran flawless even on sea trial
4) Buyer and girlfriend are good people and he is not demanding anything just indicating i should be responsible for the damage
5) Had this been shut down immediately the whole job would have cost maybe $1000
6) I have "as is contract signed"
7)Guy has never owned a performance boat before
8) Boat had survey done but not mechanical
9) Motors are Merc 600 SC's
10) I LOVED OUR BOAT WE MAINTAINED IT WELL

el indio 08-20-2006 08:54 AM

sounds like he should have bought a CHIEF.....................

OldSchool 08-20-2006 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by el indio

LMAO!!!

:D :evilb: :drink: :evilb:

dhlaw 08-20-2006 09:36 AM

Marc,
from the legal standpoint you are not obligated to do anything, but may I offer this advice...... You are in the industry, you have an excellent reputation, and you clearly are a stand up guy. I would offer to either buy the parts and have him pay labor or have the engine rebuilt by somebody you know and trust and split the bill. The problem that he will run into is that with one fresh motor and one older motor he will have uneven performance so he needs to have both freshened. Help the guy make it right and I am sure it will come back to you in the future. I am assuming that you sold the boat for a decent price though too, if he really beat you up then you may not be inclined to do anything. I sure hate to see somebody's first experience in the sport start out so bad. Make no mistake, I KNOW that you would have never sold the boat to him knowing this was going to happen!!!

Brett

Comanche3Six 08-20-2006 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by el indio

It's a good thing I was sitting down when I read that!

FASTCASH 08-20-2006 02:36 PM

The new owner has just been introduced to hi-performance boating. Unfortunately his pride in ownership is occuring sooner rather than later. A buyer and seller of a 1998 Cig are both big boys and the buyer needs to understand that mechanical devices fail and fail often in a marine environment. If he wanted a warranty he should have paid the big $$$$$$$ for a brand new boat. I can certainly appreciate your desire to help out, but I would hate to open pandora's box here with an 8.5 year old boat with high hours on the powertrains. The "as-is" could become null and void if you obligate yourself to cover any part of this failure.

Semper Fi 08-20-2006 03:22 PM

Was any survey done or did a mechanic check out the motors?