Notices

What would you do

Old 08-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What would you do

Well we sold the cig a month ago

Best boat i have ever had

when we bought the boat the first thing i did was have the top halfs of the motors rebuilt Not because there was anything wrong but because it had 420 hours on them and i wanted trouble free boating (Which we got )

After 3 years of no trouble with the boat we sold it to a nice couple from Florida

They came to Michigan and we took them out for a test ride and had a great time came home and put it in the in/out rack at the marina After some negociation they decide to buy the boat with a few request
We change the oil in motors and drives foit them and prepared it for travel (Put it on the trailer)

Now remeber the last time this boat ran was when we went for a test ride whith them

Well they tow the boat to florida after the deal is done and first trip out i get a call that the boat is making a tick sound and once on plane couldnt get over 3000RPM on one motor
he comes off plane and calls me and "says what do you think this is?" I told him i have no idea he says he will call me when he gets the boat on the trailer

A couple hours latter he calls and tels me that the motor stopped before the ramp and now wont turn over

Well after he has a mechanic look at it this is what he found
Attached Thumbnails What would you do-dsc00012-reduced.jpg  
Old 08-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: What would you do

Now here is the rub

I had no way to know this was a problem untill it broke

The boat ran flawless right up until after they had the test ride
but i am told that $1000 and you are back on the water as long as nothing else was wrecked

Well i am also told that since he kept running it that it destroyed much much more
Attached Thumbnails What would you do-dsc00008reduced-2.jpg  
Old 08-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Registered

more
Attached Thumbnails What would you do-dsc00008reduced-3.jpg   What would you do-dsc00008reduced-4.jpg  
Old 08-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Registered

Now the biggy

He wants me to pay for it

I am thinking i should send him $1000 just because i feel bad for him but then am i admitting i did something wrong when i had no knowledge this was about to happen
or do i act the ass and tell him "Your Problem Buddy"

I feel bad for him but i had no way of knowing this was about to happen

OPINIONS>?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engines having 400+ hours on them....@ this point anything can fail do to fatigue. Such as a lifter or camshaft. Its unfortunate to be stuck in this situation knowing all was in fine running shape and you had even gone the extra mile to change oil and such to prepare to ship the boat. If it was myself and I did get the price I wanted for the boat, I would try to help him in some way. You really are not responsable for what happened but to avoid legal issues and be a stand up guy I would pitch in with parts or something but not the entire bill. Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

I thought that you were advertising it with "fresh power"??? This is a tough one, it's like the guy in the movies with the little angel on one shoulder telling him to do the right thing (which would be to pay for the repairs or at least split it with the new owner) ...and the little devil on the other shoulder telling you to tell the guy to go phuck himself!!

The downside is that the new owner could sign up for one of those internet message boards and tell the world that you are a scumbag and give you a bad reputation.

Myself, I would work with the guy and do the right thing. But that's just me.

Craig
Old 08-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you just purchased the boat used from a dealer and it happened to you, would you be "m_fing" the dealer if they chose to not pay under the same circumstances?

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, just asking.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
I thought that you were advertising it with "fresh power"??? This is a tough one, it's like the guy in the movies with the little angel on one shoulder telling him to do the right thing (which would be to pay for the repairs or at least split it with the new owner) ...and the little devil on the other shoulder telling you to tell the guy to go phuck himself!!

The downside is that the new owner could sign up for one of those internet message boards and tell the world that you are a scumbag and give you a bad reputation.

Myself, I would work with the guy and do the right thing. But that's just me.

Craig
I'd second what Craig and Dean, said there is a way to work through it. whether it being the 1000 or getting a parts estimate, you pay for parts him pay for labor and machine shop.good luck
Old 08-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

that's a tough spot to be in....i would help out 5k , not all of it...but that's me , i have never sold anything knowing it was about to let go or had a problem that was just quick fixed to sell...

i am not that kind of man...

i would think that they got the boat for a really great price...

if the 5k is not acceptable....F EM...

that amount cuts into your take , or anyone's take for that matter...but it coulda happened to you on the next trip...

sold "as is" means just that....

quick fyi , when i bought my cigarette 5 years ago ,tested in the atlantic and then here on lake ponchartrain before money exchanged hands... all fluids were fine... money was exchanged , next trip out , check the fluids and trans went milkshake....
Old 08-19-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the boat was sold as-is/where-is you technically owe him nothing. Giving him the $1000 sounds about what I'd do. Problem is, he's probably not going to be happy unless you give him a new motor with labor and an apology- he'll probably still think poorly of you so...

If you're giving him the grand thinking he'll be happy, just keep it. If you're giving him the $1000 to make yourself sleep better at night and that satisfies you, even knowing the buyer will be MF'ing you forever, do it.

I've been in this situation. Sold a ratty boat on Ebay. Told everyone as-is/where-is. Offered inspections to prospects and photos of whatever they wanted. High bidder never contacted me prior to winning- unlike dozens of others. Sent the $$, picked up the boat and took it home. Then the calls started. Found a leak in the outdrive- he bid the boat up pretty well so I didn't have a problem sending him some dough for the repair. Once he set the hook, the calls continued. I sent him half of another repair, then that was it. I'm sure he hates me but I'm OK with it.

Funny thing is, I've been on the receiving end of a couple of these situations and never got more that a "sorry you're having problems with YOUR boat". Used stuff is used stuff- no one has a crystal ball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.