Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Brokerage ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/13855-brokerage.html)

MooseKnuckle 01-21-2002 08:40 AM

Brokerage ???

How many of you have been solicited to Broker your boat? Mine is currently on OSO and Boattrader.

Talked with a broker 2 weeks ago, looked at what he had to offer, and yesterday I decided not to use his services. He called and left a message yesterday 1. thanking me for the response and 2. saying he had someone interested in my boat...wanted to know if he should tell him boat is no longer for sale.

Why wouldn't my boat still be for sale if I didn't use his services???? What is this guy thinking?

Wife and I both looked at each other after listening to message, kind of ironic he had someone interested in boat and didn't tell me until I said I didn't want to use his services. The last time I spoke to him was last week. Why wouldn't he tell me this sooner? I know the answer why.

Also this person posted my boat for sale on a well known web site with out my permission.

Is everyone else thinking the same as me??

Raypanic 01-21-2002 08:43 AM

From my experience brokers are slime for both parties.

why wait 01-21-2002 09:36 AM

if someone from american boat listing calls, hang up. they are scum.

MooseKnuckle 01-21-2002 09:40 AM

Got that call last Friday. Called the guy back and told him not interested because of all the bad feedback from a website I visit. :D

Ron P 01-21-2002 01:13 PM

Telling you they have a buyer is their usual BS sales line. Don't fall for it.

Do your own advertising or broker it with someone who will put the boat on thier property and advertise it for you for a 10% fee.

IDRPSTF 01-21-2002 03:48 PM

Posted from the slime himself: There are pros and cons to using a Broker to sell your boat. It all depends on the Broker. Some will rack up as many listings as we can and just sit and wait for a buyer to fall in our lap. Minimum advertising and effert but safety in ##s. Get as many listings as you can and spend as little in advertising and hope to Co-Op. The next thing you know boat owners dont need or want your services and post bad things on OSO making all of us look bad. And it is a justified remark. Although, there are many still out there that "Sell" their clients boats. If a broker gets an exclusive listing and puts it on his/her website and sits, you have a bad Broker. If a Broker gets an Exclusive listing Posts it on his.her website and many others, Calls other brokers,Advertises in pany places, and most important Asks about every last detail of the boat. They can help sift through hundreds of possible buyers to find someone actually interested. Most require a 10% deposite before actually calling the owner. Some companies will take a limited amount of listing so we can "Know our Products" I did not sighn one exclusive listing untill my website was completed and I had contracts with other web hosts and magazines. I would be taking my clients money and not providing the service they thought they where getting. Some Brokers will even ask for fully refundable $$$ monthly for advertising. These are the people planning on getting your boat exposure. Ask ahead of time what a Broker is willing to do and What happens if they are not doing their job. Not every boat sells right away but they do sell faster with exposure. It could be money well spent or 10% down the drain. It all depends on the quality of the broker. I personally know of many Quality Brokers on this board that will not be offended and will probably secound my opinion.
Matt

obnoxus 01-21-2002 04:48 PM

Got the same call on my listing,,, I did the same thing,, hung up :mad: