Shrink Wrapping for Shipping >

Shrink Wrapping for Shipping

Notices

Shrink Wrapping for Shipping

Old 03-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Shrink Wrapping for Shipping

I have been told shrink wrapping can protect a boat during shipping. However, if the shrink wrapping is not done correctly, I'm told, it can blow loose, and actually cause wear to the finish. What techniques should be used to do proper shrink wrapping for shipping? How do you find someone who knows how to wrap it for shipping, rather than just winterizing?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a qualified installer and you should not have a problem
Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You definately should be concerned!!!! I had a new boat shrink wrapped for delivery and where the deck rolls to the sides of the boat it was scratched beyond wetsanding and buffing.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chuck
You definately should be concerned!!!! I had a new boat shrink wrapped for delivery and where the deck rolls to the sides of the boat it was scratched beyond wetsanding and buffing.
Who wrapped it? And how far did it have to travel to and from? I have heard that shrink wrap can scratch boats caused by the wind speeds of highway travel.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

I had one wrapped by a dealer, when the boat arrived 2000 miles later 3 large scuff marks on the sides where the banding strap rubbed the sides. Since the dealer did it, and knew the boat was being driven on the highway, they finally agreed on a payment to fix the damage.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

I watched as these local guys wraped my buddy's 38 PQ for a trip down to FL....before they did anything else they put what he called a transport barrier on the boat.....said it was 3mill thick and it prevents the wrap from chafing the boat during transport....the stuff was tough to say the least. Then they did all their normal shrink wrap work. He made it down to Fl no problem and there was no damage at all anywhere on the boat.....and this guy drives like a nut!! 75mph was probably the slowest he ran down there

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chuck
If its done correctly that should not happen...you get what you pay for. All NEW boats we get in for stock are done by the MFG and are perfect upon arrival. The use of quality ANTI CHAFFING film under the shrink wrap is the key. Also the boat must be spotless clean before wrap so nothing between the hull and the wrap act as sandpaper to the finish. It is basically the same film new cars come with on the top and side surfaces. Now this film is somewhat costly and is an additional step in the wrap process so its more time and materials.

Last edited by TSPM; 03-15-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by TSPM
The use of quality ANTI CHAFFING film under the shrink wrap is the key. Also the boat must be spotless clean before wrap so nothing between the hull and the wrap act as sandpaper to the finish. It is basically the same film new cars come with on the top and side surfaces. Now this film is somewhat costly and is an additional step in the wrap process so its more mone in time and materials.
Good to know.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
use a qualified installer and you should not have a problem
I heard from a guy in California that all you have to do is cover the boat and snap every other snap
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by otis311
I heard from a guy in California that all you have to do is cover the boat and snap every other snap
LMAO!!!

Quick Reply: Shrink Wrapping for Shipping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.